---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

More clues for the remaining examples

LL (YA novel series) - 2006-8 (some sources show 2006-9) - Author is P R

T D-Q O U (novella) - 1927 (but first published much later) - Author is H P L

V B (novel, part of a series) - 2007 - Author is J R

GG S B (Japanese live action TV) - 2006-7, some footage reused in a later series. This is actually the thirtieth series of the S S metaseries. The later series is P R O O
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

if hpl is hp lovecraft then the 1927 timing and the title hint at "The DreamQuest of Unknown Kadath" , however from reading the plot on wiki i cant see this has anything to do with space or a modified water vessel modified for space. I talks of dreams and dreamland...

Am i missing something?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:18 pm
if hpl is hp lovecraft then the 1927 timing and the title hint at "The DreamQuest of Unknown Kadath" , however from reading the plot on wiki i cant see this has anything to do with space or a modified water vessel modified for space. I talks of dreams and dreamland...

Am i missing something?
No, I am - I've obviously mixed it up with something else, and at this point I can't remember what I was thinking of. But since I specifically gave the clue to this answer I'm going to accept it, and give you a meaningless bonus point for checking the story and pointing out my error.

One to go!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

More clues for the examples I gave - apologies again about the Lovecraft one, I still don't know what I was actually thinking of there.

LL (YA novel series) - 2006-8 (some sources show 2006-9) - Author is P R - Author's surname is an old name for a magistrate or other official.

V B (novel, part of a series) - 2007 - Author is J R - Author's surname has links to a popular beat combo

GG S B (Japanese live action TV) - 2006-7, some footage reused in a later series. This is actually the thirtieth series of the S S metaseries. The later series is P R O O - Characters are often colour coded

And please try to think of others, you don't have to use mine.

REALLY wishing that GDW had gone with their original idea for the Victorian space RPG Space 1889 - allegedly the original concept was called Space 1499, in which interplanetary travel began with Columbus sailing off the edge of the world on his first attempt to reach the Americas...
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Author is P R - Author's surname is an old name for a magistrate or other official.
I don't get the nature of this game, But the surname may be "Reeve" or "Reeves". Or, if their cultural origins have FamilyName-GivenName order, possibly "Procurator" or "Provost".
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Planet

ok. i worked out LL but im going to throw in a curve ball...

Treasure Planet 2002 disney reimagining of treasure island but in space. ths space ship is a sailing ship as per the 1700's pirate ships.... very similar to the ship in PR's book Ll
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:41 pm

Treasure Planet 2002 disney reimagining of treasure island but in space. ths space ship is a sailing ship as per the 1700's pirate ships.... very similar to the ship in PR's book Ll
OK - they sure as hell LOOK like sailing ships, and while they may possibly be purpose-built for space travel it's never explicitly said. They could be re-purposed sailing ships, I suppose...

https://youtu.be/nYzW3jfoEUw?si=50RDgGG17Ga9023P

Incidentally, there was a much earlier live-action SF adaptation of Treasure Island, Treasure Island in Outer Space (1987), an Italian TV series converted into a film, but the ships are definitely purpose built spaceships although they do have sails. It wasn't very good...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_ ... uter_Space

Since I would rather like to end this I'm accepting Treasure Planet as the fifth answer, which means that you get the poisoned chalice and have to set the next question!

The clues I gave
LL (YA novel series) - 2006-8 (some sources show 2006-9) - Author is P R - Author's surname is an old name for a magistrate or other official.
The Larklight series by Philip Reeve - space sailing ships with alchemical engines etc.

V B (novel, part of a series) - 2007 - Author is J R - Author's surname has links to a popular beat combo
Vorpal Blade by John Ringo - Submarine converted for space travel.

GG S B (Japanese live action TV) - 2006-7, some footage reused in a later series. This is actually the thirtieth series of the S S metaseries. The later series is P R O O - Characters are often colour coded
GoGo Sentai Boukenger - Battleship converted to giant robot and eventually to spaceship. Part of the Super Sentai series, which includes the Power Rangers etc.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

spud42 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:41 pm

There's a novel in the "Man-Kzin Wars" universe that re-casts "Treasure Island". Never having read (or watched a production of) "Treasure Island", it took me something like 2/3 of the novel to realise that it was a ... spoof? re-imagining? whatever ... and I assume that some of the elements in this story were ones that got dropped from the popular culture versions of the story. Still not having finished the book (original or derivative), I don't know how it ends, because it got pretty boring. Much shuffling between spaceships or something - it just got boring.
I wasn't impressed by the re-telling - I didn't finish the book, which is really unusual for me.
If anyone is interested, it's "Treasure Planet" by Hal Colebatch & Jessica Q. Fox, ISBN 978-1-4767-3640-2 for the paperback version.
Colebatch has a long history in SF. His "thang" in M-K Wars is re-casting Bogart movies into the Wars, having done at least "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Casablanca", and done them well. I remember only "getting" the Casablanca version when I wondered why the pianist was called "Sam" - a chapter or so before he played it again. I've had suspicions about some other stories, which prompt me to watch more Bogie movies.
But this one ... is in the elect club of books I've not finished. I'm going to assume it's Fox's work, but I don't know. Certainly I'm not rushing to Amazon (or the bookshop) to buy up all her previous work. Might check the library shelves for any though.

Oh dear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Colebatch_(author) wrote:
Hal Gibson Pateshall Colebatch (7 October 1945 – 10 September 2019) was a West Australian author
Another good one gone.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

was rather hoping you would reject that answer....
ok well it is really getting hard to come up with something different or not recently used..
i'll get back to you after i work out a question...
OR i could go with
or simply
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

listening to the audiobooks of the EON series by Greg Bear, they have "the way" that seems to be endless and moving down they have opened access to other worlds possibly different timelines/universes.

give me 5 instances of travel to other worlds/times using some device,gate,tunnel to instant travel far from earth or even into the far past... HG wells time machine is not really what i am looking for more of a door you can step/drive /fly through...

i should make it more than 5 cause i can think of so many right now..
OR i could go with
or simply
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

The Ghaldron-Hesthor field generator in H Beam Piper's Paratime novels (also allows moving into branching universes too)?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Numerous instances of this in the superhero web novel Worm (John C. "Wildbow" McCrae 2011-13) and sequels - "Door" portals that can be opened to any of several universes at will by the secret "Cauldron" cabal, a permanent portal for electromagnetic communication between two instances of Earth that have an important timeline divergence in 1980, eventually a railway link to another universe through a permanently open portal, several others.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/ - the novel itself (long and VERY grimdark in tone)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_(web_serial)

https://worm.fandom.com/wiki/Portal
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The Star Trek: TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" features a (sentient) time gate.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Would Stargate (The Movie) and Stargate SG-1 (The T.V. Show) not only qualify but also be the lowest hanging fruit possible.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

in a burst of activity we hav reached 4.
and yes night owl stargate and its offshoots has to be the lowest of hanging fruit if not completely fallen off lying on the ground to be picked up and consumed.

on the other hand there is still some low fruit to go. some modern and some from the 60's etc......

who will be brave enough to go for number 5???
OR i could go with
or simply