Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Random Hits OXP

Post by Micha »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Cooperation might be in order to tackle some epic hits - If the mark was, let us say, a Black Monk VIP hidden inside a Monastery, surrounded by a minefield and a couple dozens BM Gunships expecting for trouble, and with a bounty in the 5 digits order...

But I get your point - you'd rather keep things as they are and confine epic level missions to epic level OXPs.
Precisely - I'd rather see that as being an OXP in it's own right (perhaps initially finding out about it, then having to track down in which Monastery he's hiding, recruit a relevant taskforce, etc), rather than being a random 'normal' situation which could crop up every couple of missions.

'Epic' level tasks should be exceedingly rare and quite unique, IMHO, rather than being part of randomly generated 'mundane' quests.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I have been trying for ages to get a good enough screen shot of this issue. It happens from time to time with the revenge attacks. They seem to be doubled. As you can see there are two groups of the same party!

Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Fatleaf wrote:
... with my tractor beam ... :twisted:
:shock: Erm... I'm a bit ashamed to ask, but ... :oops: which OXP awards you with THAT ???
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

sdrubble wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
... with my tractor beam ...
Erm... I'm a bit ashamed to ask, but... which OXP awards you with THAT ???
A mission OXP of sorts... Coyote's Run!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

El Viejo wrote:
sdrubble wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
... with my tractor beam ...
Erm... I'm a bit ashamed to ask, but... which OXP awards you with THAT ???
A mission OXP of sorts... Coyote's Run!
Thx for the tip El Viejo...

I have noticed that CR is NOT included in either http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions (so there's not a list of 'requirements') or http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Missions_OXPs (which makes sense since it ain't got a Wiki entry of its own). :wink:

But I did some quick readaround and I'm guessing that, since a Cloaking Device is needed from the start, I'd need to finish the core mission which awards it beforehand.

But I suppose that one gets to keep the tractor beam upon mission completion... and I'd probably have to play the mission itself before finding out whatever interesting ways it could be used for (besides dragging mines around of course :wink: )

Thx & cheers :lol:
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Fatleaf wrote:
I have been trying for ages to get a good enough screen shot of this issue. It happens from time to time with the revenge attacks. They seem to be doubled. As you can see there are two groups of the same party!

So! getting back to topic. Any idea as to the cause of this problem?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Fatleaf wrote:
So! getting back to topic. Any idea as to the cause of this problem?
When reading the code, the revenge ships are added somewhere on route after you got the warning by the police. When you didn't had an encounter after 8 or 9 jumps after the warning, the code starts adding them at the witchpoint instead. In one occasion it could happen that both one is added on-route and one at the witchpoint. I have no idea if this was intentionally or a bug, but I see no real problem in it, that you occasionally get two opponents for revenge. :twisted:
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Eric Walch wrote:
I have no idea if this was intentionally or a bug, but I see no real problem in it, that you occasionally get two opponents for revenge.
Personally I quite like it when it happens. But having two ships claiming to be the same person is a bit off. I would consider this as a bug. But a fun one. :wink:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Fatleaf wrote:
Personally I quite like it when it happens. But having two ships claiming to be the same person is a bit off. I would consider this as a bug. But a fun one. :wink:
i was looking for a bug that called the addition twice, but overlooked the most obvious: The number of revenge ships is also dependent on the variable "missionVariables.random_hits_criminal_hate_score". When above 50 there is a change of adding a second ship and above 100 there could even be 3 added. The names are chosen randomly. So Identical names indicates a problem with the random name generation in Oolite itself.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Eric Walch wrote:
The names are chosen randomly. So Identical names indicates a problem with the random name generation in Oolite itself.
So is it likely to be rectified, or is it just going to be 'one of those things'?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Eric Walch wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
i was looking for a but that called the addition twice, but overlooked the most obvious: The number of revenge ships is also dependent on the variable "missionVariables.random_hits_criminal_hate_score". When above 50 there is a change of adding a second ship and above 100 there could even be 3 added. The names are chosen randomly. So Identical names indicates a problem with the random name generation in Oolite itself.
Is it not possible to get 2 same random selections in a row? Perhaps in this case a small snippet of code that compares the second to make sure it is not the same as the first and make another random pick, and so on, would solve this bug. Does that make any sense?
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Is it not possible to get 2 same random selections in a row? Perhaps in this case a small snippet of code that compares the second to make sure it is not the same as the first and make another random pick, and so on, would solve this bug. Does that make any sense?
No it is not possible that way. It is the ship script that on 'shipSpawned' selects a random name. If there are also ship scripts that somehow manage to reset the seed on 'shipSpawned', you get identical names. For some of the launching ships in RH I created a number of random names and than used the Js random function to make a selection from it. But that is a lot of stupid overhead, and I think that problem is solved now in Oolite itself.

To guarantee different names, you must create all the random names in one go. That would require a rewrite of the code and not select the name in the individual shipScripts, but in the worldScript. That way you can name all ships in a single 'for' loop. But I doubt if I like to do all those changes.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Just tried out BGS A1.4 (very nice) and on starting Oolite it gives a message to check the log. Sure enough there is the following error message in the log:

09:39:53.399 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
09:39:53.399 [speech.synthesis]: Spoken messages are off.
09:39:53.577 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
09:39:53.837 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "random_hits_iceng_port" specifies non-existent model "icengine.dat".
09:39:54.011 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "random_hits_iceng_stbd" specifies non-existent model "icengine2.dat".
09:39:55.772 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 30 world scripts:
AsteroidStorm 4.02
BGS-M 1.4
black_monks.js 2.0
buoyRepair 1.3
deep_space_pirates 1.3
Famous Planets Launch Script 1.2
feudal-challenge.js 7.0
feudal-mission.js 8.0
feudal-planetfall.js 3.0
feudal-promotion.js 5.0
feudal-ranks.js 4.0
feudal-tournament.js 8.0
FuelStation-Setup 1.33
GalDrivePod_main_script 1.0
gates_masterScript 1.13
genericHUDswitch.js 1.01, modified by Wyvern
oolite-academy 1.0
oolite-cloaking-device 1.76
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.76
oolite-nova 1.76
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.76
oolite-tianve 1.3
oolite-trumbles 1.76
PlanetFall 1.40
Random_Hits 1.4.12
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

DGill wrote:
Just tried out BGS A1.4 (very nice) and on starting Oolite it gives a message to check the log. Sure enough there is the following error message in the log:

Code: Select all

09:39:53.837 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "random_hits_iceng_port" specifies non-existent model "icengine.dat".
  09:39:54.011 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "random_hits_iceng_stbd" specifies non-existent model "icengine2.dat".

Random_Hits 1.4.12
I am a bit puzzled. The subentity definition is:

Code: Select all

"random_hits_iceng_port" = {
		"ai_type" = "nullAI.plist";
		"forward_weapon_type" = "WEAPON_BEAM_LASER";
		"laser_color" = cyanColor;
		model = "rh_icengine.dat";
		name = "Imperial Courier Engine";
		roles = icengstbd;
		"rotational_velocity" = "0.707 0.0 0.0 0.707";
	};
So it explicit uses the model "rh_icengine.dat" and not "icengine.dat" that is mentioned in your log. I can't even find a reference to "icengine.dat" in my version and according to your log, you do use the latest version.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Thanks Eric - the error does not seen to cause any game problems so perhaps not important.
Last edited by DGill on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.