Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
(especially if they don't like the new book)
I fail to see that as even a possibility..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I can run *and* I can hide. :D

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I just noticed that the E: D web app has a running total of pledges in the top right corner. Now showing £1,666,124 with 26,737 backers.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

The web app now has a section for you to enter your forum account , for the DDF and the private backers forums, who will have access to private forums. These will be starting up sometime next week.
Last edited by JazHaz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
The DDF will be starting up sometime next week.
From what I've been reading, I think you'll have some fun there... good luck!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I've just registered on the forums (same name and avatar) and will be on the DDF once it gets started. Looking as some of the threads that have been opened already, I think I'm gonna have to resist the urge to simply keep posting links to old discussions from this site, as so many of the most obvious gameplay ideas have been discussed (and even prototyped) pretty comprehensively.

I do wish the forum design was a bit cleaner - the colours and styles etc get a bit tiring to look at after a while (plus the white on black makes it more obvious I'm not doing proper work in the office!)
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ramirez wrote:
I do wish the forum design was a bit cleaner - the colours and styles etc get a bit tiring to look at after a while (plus the white on black makes it more obvious I'm not doing proper work in the office!)
I'm not too fond of the colour/layout scheme either, but you can switch styles (to black/blue on white-ish) - drop-down menu at bottom left.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I use the Forum v2 style, as it's the only one that expands to the full width of my screen.

One of the first things the DDF needs to sort out is what it's actually going to do and how. There are a few DDF members that are coming up with ideas that imply a lot more influence on the actual game then I like. Hopefully Frontier have a clear idea on how this is going to work.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

From what the original diaries said the DDF will be like a suggestion box - there's no onus on FD to action EVERY suggestion, but they will be discussed and seriously considered and then, if everyone is in agreement then it'll become part of the game.

That's how other things like this work. Just like a big committee meeting, really.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Selezen wrote:
From what the original diaries said the DDF will be like a suggestion box - there's no onus on FD to action EVERY suggestion, but they will be discussed and seriously considered and then, if everyone is in agreement then it'll become part of the game.
That's how other things like this work. Just like a big committee meeting, really.
Agree, and that is my firm impression as well. However, a comment by David in update 33 on Kickstarter caused a little stir and gave quite a lot of room for interpretation.
David Braben in update 33 on Kickstarter wrote:
The Design Discussion Forum (DDF)

Many people have asked (via Reddit and elsewhere) whether the design discussion forum will continue post-release.

The people on the DDF together with people from Frontier will have near god-like powers post-release. They will have access to live stats for the galaxy on rates of piracy, locations for player death, trade activity and so-on. They will decide how the galaxy will evolve. They will decide when famine (or plague) might arrive in a particular system. If, for example piracy is unusually high for a sustained period in a particular system how should the galaxy respond? Should an adjacent system send warships? Should it decay into anarchy and any government collapse? When we create a new ship type or variant How should we introduce it? How do we close down a particular game exploit - or do we? As you can see, the decisions will not stop at release.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gimi wrote:
However, a comment by David in update 33 on Kickstarter caused a little stir and gave quite a lot of room for interpretation.
David Braben in update 33 on Kickstarter wrote:
The Design Discussion Forum (DDF)

Many people have asked (via Reddit and elsewhere) whether the design discussion forum will continue post-release.

The people on the DDF together with people from Frontier will have near god-like powers post-release. They will have access to live stats for the galaxy on rates of piracy, locations for player death, trade activity and so-on. They will decide how the galaxy will evolve. They will decide when famine (or plague) might arrive in a particular system. If, for example piracy is unusually high for a sustained period in a particular system how should the galaxy respond? Should an adjacent system send warships? Should it decay into anarchy and any government collapse? When we create a new ship type or variant How should we introduce it? How do we close down a particular game exploit - or do we? As you can see, the decisions will not stop at release.
Nothing in that implies that the same committee format would not be used to make those decisions also..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

The people on the DDF together with people from Frontier will have near god-like powers post-release
Players with near god-like powers on the DDF, factions within the DDF working to influence decisions, insider trading... sweet!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Nothing in that implies that the same committee format would not be used to make those decisions also..
Again, I agree. My point was that there are a few DDF members on the Frontier forum that are coming up with ideas and suggestions for a much more direct influence based on DB's post. I personally think they will be disappointed. I can't imagine that Frontier would relinquish that type of control, and their suggestions are not gaining much support
But to avoid speculation the role and boundaries for the DDF needs to be clearly defined for all, not just the members of the DDF. Anyway, I'm in no way worried, and we will just have to wait and see what Frontier have planned.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Gimi wrote:
Auch, I did a Jonty. Need to encrypt my disk from my wife now.
LOL, so did I. 8)
Which, incidentally, means that we Ooliteers have one more voice in the Design Decisions Forum. :shock:
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Here's an announcement from Frontier on the Frontier forum:
Ashley Barley wrote:
Hi everyone, we have a couple of announcements to make:

Commander Names

Firstly, as some of you may have seen on the web app, the ability to input your commander names through the web app will be temporarily shut down on Monday (4th February). This is so we can begin approving/rejecting the existing submissions without people changing their choices mid-way through this process. The majority of our backers have already submitted their commander names, so expect the commander name option to be down for the whole of Monday as we sift through them.

An early look at the current submissions shows that, unsurprisingly, there is exceptionally high demand for certain names. Obviously only one person can get any single name so here is a little heads up about some of the most popular submissions so far:

Shepard (currently most popular!)
Fox
Malcolm Reynolds
Han Solo
Ace Rimmer
Picard
Starbuck
Adama
Skywalker
The Doctor
Kirk
Biggles
Maverick
Bond
Most one-syllable names and surnames (Smith, Jones, Bob & Dave particularly)
Most Colours (White & Black particularly)

If you have any of these names you may want to consider changing it before Monday. Someone has to get them though, so maybe you fancy your chances!

Private Forums & Inputting your Username

The private forums will hopefully be going live next week as well (probably Monday), this includes the Private Backers forum, the DDF and the Writer’s forum. All of which should have things for you to get involved with pretty much straight away.

The important thing for all users to do is to make sure that you have submitted your forum username on the web app exactly the same as it is displayed on here, and to do this before Monday. Usernames are also case-sensitive so keep that in mind. If you fail to input your username correctly on the web app your forum permissions will not be changed and you will more than likely have to wait another 24 hours for the next round of user inputs before we amend this.

Thread Prefixes

Finally, we are going to start adding prefixes to forum threads, which should help to make things more organised, especially as we begin including the community into various decisions in the coming months. You will already be able to see some of these in action and we will continue to add to them as we see fit.

Thanks for reading this and happy posting!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.