Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Screenshots

Post by cbr »

' classic' asp fighter
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

In the shipdata.plist one can add

"accuracy" = "7";

are there any other variables i can set in the shipdata.plist to create/differentiate ship/pilot 'strengths' ?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

You can make NPC ships a little more challenging with this in shipdata.plist on them:
energy_recharge_rate = 5.76; // 3.2 (base amount for Boa2) x 1.8 (has E.E.U.) = 5.76
has_ecm = 1;
has_escape_pod = 1;
has_energy_bomb = 1; // Q-bomb of DOOM! (does this subtract from carried missiles?)
has_fuel_injection = 1;
has_shield_booster = 1;
has_shield_enhancer = 1;
heat_insulation = 9;
missile_load_time = 4;
missile_role = "EQ_HARDENED_MISSILE"; // 5 missiles of DOOM!

(For a Boa 2 that I made a "blackdog" variant of...)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

There is also the not very well known reaction_time ship property (ship.reactionTime for the JS equivalent), which defaults to 1.5 sec. This is the time an NPC will need to make a decision when tracking its target. Reduce that enough and your NPCs get superhuman reflexes.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

another_commander wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:10 am
There is also the not very well known reaction_time ship property (ship.reactionTime for the JS equivalent)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, and now the wiki has the details as well, so hopefully it will be a little more well known from this point! No idea how this property got missed.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:30 am
another_commander wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:10 am
There is also the not very well known reaction_time ship property (ship.reactionTime for the JS equivalent)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, and now the wiki has the details as well, so hopefully it will be a little more well known from this point! No idea how this property got missed.
Noting your note about cats - this opens the opportunity to devise slightly different flying properties for felines, lobsters, etc.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Might there be a way to make the reaction_time/ship.reactionTime property universal as opposed to having to TWEAK every ship OXZ/OXP one might have. Perhaps an OXZ similar to Skilled NPC's wherein Library can be used to individually set this property based on the role of the ship. This could be done in a similar manner to what Skilled NPC's does with the accuracy/ship.accuracy property. Having looked at Skilled NPC's JavaScript file such a project would entail quite a bit more than a simple swapping out of or a cut and paste of the two properties. As such this is a project that is way beyond my coding abilities but at least the concept is out there. Any takers?
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Nite Owl wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:50 pm
Might there be a way to make the reaction_time/ship.reactionTime property universal as opposed to having to TWEAK every ship OXZ/OXP one might have. Perhaps an OXZ similar to Skilled NPC's wherein Library can be used to individually set this property based on the role of the ship. This could be done in a similar manner to what Skilled NPC's does with the accuracy/ship.accuracy property. Having looked at Skilled NPC's JavaScript file such a project would entail quite a bit more than a simple swapping out of or a cut and paste of the two properties. As such this is a project that is way beyond my coding abilities but at least the concept is out there. Any takers?
Or just add reaction times into Skilled NPC's?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Nite Owl wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:50 pm

Code: Select all

case "police":
		case "interceptor":
		case "wingman":
			if (!this.$boostHunter) break;
			if (ship.accuracy < 0) { 
				ship.accuracy = -ship.accuracy;
			}
			ship.accuracy += this.$baselineHunter;
			ship.accuracy *= 2;
			ship.accuracy += Math.random()*gov;
			ship.reactionTime = 0.1;
			break;

Perhaps you could add ship.reactionTime in Skilled NPC js like above for all roles?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

cbr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Code: Select all

case "police":
		case "interceptor":
		case "wingman":
			if (!this.$boostHunter) break;
			if (ship.accuracy < 0) { 
				ship.accuracy = -ship.accuracy;
			}
			ship.accuracy += this.$baselineHunter;
			ship.accuracy *= 2;
			ship.accuracy += Math.random()*gov;
			ship.reactionTime = 0.1;
			break;

Perhaps you could add ship.reactionTime in Skilled NPC js like above for all roles?
A definite possibility but perhaps a bit simplistic. If you look at the entries for the various roles in Skilled NPC's (including the one listed in your code snippet above) there are variations involved that are dependent on Government Type and Math.random calculations. Ideally such calculations should randomize the ship.reactionTime variable as well. Time would also need to be spent to determine just what the variations are within the ship.reactionTime numbers. How much of a game play difference is there between the default of ship.reactionTime = 1.5, ship.reactionTime = 1.25, and so on down until some number is reached that makes NPCs invulnerable. Finding that balance, plus the coding, plus Real Life, would be a challenge for me in the foreseeable future.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:23 pm
Finding that balance, plus the coding, plus Real Life, would be a challenge for me in the foreseeable future.
Finding that balance would be a challenge for anybody, especially with(in) gameplay...
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

playing with light and dark...
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

phkb's anaconda with blacked out color spec gloss map.
With the new materials settings the diffuse map colors almost seem to glow!