Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

playing with the updated package, no crashes so far, I do have gdb running to monitor it, but so far so good
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

matthewfarmery: Have you been able to build from source? gdb will not produce anything useful when run with the vanilla executables, because they are stripped of all debug information.
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

yes I have built Oolite from source, I run gdb with both, but not really used the source version much yet
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Of course, to be able to get anything meaningful from gdb, you need to compile with the command

Code: Select all

make 
as opposed to the command

make debug=no
I'm just mentioning this because my first attempts to use gdb failed due to that d'oh of a mistake... :oops:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

thanks for that, recompiling with just make, I sort of thought make debug=no wasn't right, but wasn't sure, I mean when you want to make a debug build, anyway thanks
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Screet wrote:
I do two things there: First I changed it so that setUpGlobalShips is used for interstellar space only as otherwise it will add the same type of ships which are also added by setUpSystemShips for normal systems and then I did comment out many ships because these will appear anyway, thus I don't need to overcrowd my universe with them.
I should point out that none of the global ships should be duplicated in the system ships.

System is where ships should be activated only within the system.
Global is where ships should be activated within the system as well as interstellar space.

If you can come up with a more appropriate way of naming those methods, I'm open to suggestions.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

</holiday> :wink:

I think Screet means the following structure in the current OSE poplulator script:

this.setUpGlobalShips = function()
{
this.addNavyPatrolShips();
this.addMissionaryShips();
this.addDredgerShip();
this.addHardPirateShips();
this.pimpMySystem();

}

// Ships to be added to the system
this.setUpSystemShips = function()
{
this.addOoBayShips();
this.addInraPatrolShips();
this.addSIRFYardStation();
this.addFrogRickshawShip();
this.addMissionaryShips();
this.addClipperShip();
this.addDredgerShip();
this.addExecutiveFlightShips();
this.addSalezaShips();
this.addSuperCobraShips();
this.addIxianShips();
this.addHardPirateShips();
this.addFreeTradeZone();
this.addPirateCove();
this.pimpMySystem();
}

I'm not sure myself, if the above configuration calls the four ship types above double or not, and if yes, if you intended that, pmw57, or not?

<holiday> :D

Have a nice day, guys

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
I'm not sure myself, if the above configuration calls the four ship types above double or not, and if yes, if you intended that, pmw57, or not?
No duplication is to occur.

Global = Interstellar + System
System = System only
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

pmw57 wrote:

System = System only
Good, I assumed that but wasn't too sure ... my scripting capacities would suck if there were any ...

Screet, ya hear tha man? 8)

Holiday (yeah, right) 8)

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

pmw57 wrote:

System = System only
Why? The old version does call both global and system ships. At least for Hardpirates there's no check wether they have been added already. Calling them twice does add them twice.

That's why I changed global to be used for interstellar space only and system for systems only...that's making it a lot easier to keep track of it and it also far better allows to customize which ships to add (e.g. I really don't want some of the system ships in interstellar space although others might seem them as fun).

Screet
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Screet wrote:
pmw57 wrote:

System = System only
Why? The old version does call both global and system ships. At least for Hardpirates there's no check wether they have been added already. Calling them twice does add them twice.

That's why I changed global to be used for interstellar space only and system for systems only...that's making it a lot easier to keep track of it and it also far better allows to customize which ships to add (e.g. I really don't want some of the system ships in interstellar space although others might seem them as fun).
If we're going to go that way then we really should have three different sections.

this.setupSystemOnlyShips = function () {
};
this.setupInterstellarOnlyShips = function () {
};
this.setupSystemAndInterstellarShips = function () {
};
They would be loaded in the following manner:

this.setUpShips = function () {
    if (system.isInterstellarSpace) {
        this.setupInterstellarShips();
    } else {
        this.setupSystemShips();
    }
    this.setUpSystemAndInterstellarShips();
};
That way you can specify ships that are system only, interstellar only, or for both situations.
-- Paul Wilkins
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A couple of minor things in v0.69 which may or may not still be in 0.70.2 (travelling now so can't update):

• Nuclear missiles (EQ_NUKE_MISSILE, EQ_NUKE2_MISSILE and EQ_NUKE3_MISSILE) are in the equipment list and shipdata twice (with different specs). Those listed there, plus EQ_HARPOON_ versions.
  • Not sure if it's by design or by glitch, but the purchasable stations seem to vary as you move around within the equipment list (F3 screen). If I go to the end of the list to find them, then back a page and then forward again the available stations change. Looks rather odd to me.
[/color]
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hey T,

The first glitch has been resolved by version 0.70.2. The second glitch is an artifact of the player stations being randomly offered - not sure if I want to consider this a bug, though. I could explain it away as active markets in station offering ...

Not sure about that. Perhaps the changes should not come so fast. Do you have a suggestion how to do it instead, while keeping the random element, slowing down the oscillations of availability?

Cheers

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
The second glitch is an artifact of the player stations being randomly offered - not sure if I want to consider this a bug, though. I could explain it away as active markets in station offering ...

Not sure about that. Perhaps the changes should not come so fast. Do you have a suggestion how to do it instead, while keeping the random element, slowing down the oscillations of availability?
When entering the system you could set a local variable to be the value of a random station, and then refer to that value later on.

That way, the random station would only change when you jump to another system.
-- Paul Wilkins
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What the man says :)

At the very least use a variable assigned at docking (or whenever) to a random number rather than one generated on the fly by the code when you refresh the equipment screen, so it doesn't keep changing.

At the moment it looks like a bug, not a randomly fluctuating market.