Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Screenshots

Post by Commander_X »

I also tried it (and looked at it from a similar camera position). Didn't notice (but also didn't look for) any drawback.

One not necessarily drawback, but what I'd call a maybe unwanted side effect, due to the way this dabbler applied your setup (i.e., by OXP-ing in AddOns/Scripts the oolite-ship-library.js file), was to get the same colour both in regular flight, injectors and torus.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This is my main problem with it:

The two white octagons pasted over the thruster textures is what breaks it for me. When viewed from certain distances and angles they look very much unnaturally superimposed on them and they appear precisely because of the intensity of the exhaust colors. When viewed from far away and at about 45 degrees they look OK, because the thruster detail is not that visible anyway, but close up...

For reference, here is what it normally looks like:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Played a bit more with the thrusters. Boosting the emissive color at the same time as increasing the exhaust color seems to produce something more acceptable. Still not perfect, but better than before.

Side effect: All emission map elements are boosted together with the engines. Not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe not something we would want in all cases.
Bonus: The Cobra is flying over a gas giant. ;-)

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Famous Planets Overhaul (by Stranger)

4 of the 102 systems therein

FPO Teraed
Teraed became one of the largest hubs in the north-east quadrant of Galaxy 1. Travellers to Tianve often use it as a stop-over and trading point. Nowadays the planet is home of the largest aqua city in Galaxy 1, easily visible from space. The Galaxy Dome with 3.2 million seats (estimated) is one of the biggest Zero-G Cricket venues in the sector. (Famous Planets OXP)

FPO Tibionis
Tibionis is most noted for vast rainforests and the Tibionisian Deadly Goat, originally introduced by traders from Aronar. Tourists are advised not to travel deep into the splendid jungles. In addition Tibionis features beautiful tropical beaches. Tibionis is the home of Navy Sector Command 4. (Famous Planets OXP)

FPO Vetitice
The planet Vetitice is well-known for its luxury parking meters.
Vetitice is also renowned as the home of GASEC, the manufacturer and supplier of Coriolis, Dodo and Ico space stations. Travellers visit Vetitice from all over the eight galaxies to witness the construction of these massive structures. (Famous Planets OXP)

FPO Zadies
Zadies is at the centre of Galaxy 1. The planet houses the main administrative headquarters of GalCop. The planet is a crosspoint of long-distance trade routes and is therefore an important hub for passengers and traders from across the galaxy. Many travel agencies have at least one office here. Zadia, the main capital, is a gigantic but pleasant metropolis situated around an inland sea, the ancient remains of a large meteor strike. Beyond the urban sprawl, the scenery is splendid. (Famous Planets OXP)
Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

another_commander wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:13 am
This is my main problem with it:
I'm not sure if it's possible but could you vary the transparency of the plume maybe? Make it more opaque at the end near the model, enough to hide that octagon from being drawn by the bloom, then fade the rest of the plume out along its length with a linear gradient or something?
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Griff wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:14 pm
[...]
I'm not sure if it's possible but could you vary the transparency of the plume maybe? Make it more opaque at the end near the model, enough to hide that octagon from being drawn by the bloom, then fade the rest of the plume out along its length with a linear gradient or something?
Or if the octagon comes from the end of the plume construct, just drag it, slightly, inside the model, where it won't show.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Griff wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:14 pm
I guess a lot of options can be available, but I am hoping to be able to get something as good as possible without changing any existing game code. I am quite happy with what it looks like in the setup of the last screen I posted but I still need to test how it looks in HDR - a lot will depend on that.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

More FPO screenshots

Ceinerxe (Galaxy 2)
Ceinerxe is an important trading hub and three other space lanes originate here. Ceinerxe is actually a mostly sea-bound planet with an enormous sea-city much like the one on Teraed in chart one. Despite being a dictatorship it is also a holiday planet with luxury resorts for those with cash to pay for the necessary permits and bribes. The people of Ceinrexe even have some form of freedom. Questioning the dictator Ceiner IV remains a crime punishable by immediate execution, but otherwise Ceinrexe can now be called a comfortable world with pleasant living conditions. Ceinerxe also plays host to a GalNavy base and officers are known to make planet-fall to enjoy the hoopy nightlife and the pleasant artificial beaches. Visitors are warned that the gravity on Ceinerxe is high by most common standards. (Famous Planets OXP)

Orrionti (Galaxy 2)
Orrionti is famous for its super volcanoes. The Lobster Volcano group with three active super volcanoes are certainly impressive, yet the 'Mother', a solitary super volcano, dwarfs all the others. The whole planet is constantly influenced by volcanic gases and catastrophic outpourings of magma. The lethal disease entry in the Old Galactic Calalogue refers to the condition that occurs if an unprotected humanoid stays too long on the surface, but for the Green Horned Lobsters living here is no problem. For other lifeforms the famous Orrionti-flameshuttle is an ideal way to view the awe-inspiring landscape in relative safety. There are only basic refuelling and repair facilities here. Ships are advised not to land on the surface. (Famous Planets OXP)

Reinen (Galaxy 1)
A farmers' planet and no mistake. Visitors can see the huge field systems from space. All natural resources have been exhausted and nowadays Reinen specializes in biotechnology. They sell all sorts of farming equipment and the planet now rates as an average agricultural. The capital city New Boorlin hosts the yearly Galaxy 1 Beerfesten which attracts drinkers from all over the universe. (Famous Planets OXP)

Teonan (Galaxy 2)
Teonan is a tourism hub and the capital planet of the Teonan web region. 'Teonan Prime' is the enormous capital city built over the site of an ancient impact crater. The city itself is built from the light material 'Plumium' which is five times stronger than concrete, yet remarkably elastic. The city spans a radius of over three hundred kilometres, encompassing both land and sea like a spider web. In the center of the web is the 'Teonan Forum', an enormous building housing literally everything from the spaceport itself, local government offices and the hoopy nightclubs which Teonan is also famous for. The climate is pleasant and calm. (Famous Planets OXP)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Coming Soon

Maybe...

viewtopic.php?p=288612#p288612
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The Elect is rather catchy, and would make a good game title - better than Oolite, in fact!
Throw in one of KZ's early logo designs, and I could hang-up my flightsuit, content.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Hitchhiking on a sdr
;)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Sometimes, the rounding error (or whatever it is) has me scratching my head. These two I can just about handle:

Image Image but this one... Image
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:38 pm
Sometimes, the rounding error (or whatever it is) has me scratching my head. These two I can just about handle:

Are we duped by the game itself :?: :roll: :?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:38 pm

If all the systems shared the same Y axis and only varied their X axis from left-to-right, the math is simple and distances are always consistent.
The distance weirdness is almost always the result of diagonals on the X, Y axis...which results in unintuitive rounding of distances.
A side-effect of this is misjumping is usually quicker going to the left (-X) or up (-Y) from a system.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:10 pm
A side-effect of this is misjumping is usually quicker going to the left (-X) or up (-Y) from a system.
<grins> Now you're getting technical!