Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous - Kickstarter!

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wolfwood wrote:
Didn't someone over at the KS comment thread already suggest that someone should start a Kickstarter to build and sell gaming systems designed to run Elite: Dangerous... :roll:
Within the MOD, Novatech build bespoke gaming Laptops and Desktops that are optimised to run the MODs desktop trainer of choice, Virtual Battlespace 2 (and guaranteed to run VBS3 when it's released) - they get early access to the newest game engine from BIA so they can tweak ahead of time.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Oh, colour me surprised... :?

Still, Frontier said that they are going to make Elite: Dangerous relatively kind insofar as hardware is concerned. Or at least I hope they will and my i5 system will run it when it comes out.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Heh... the Elite: Dangerous sub-forum within the Frontier forums is crazy! It'd be a full-time job just reading it all!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Heh... the Elite: Dangerous sub-forum within the Frontier forums is crazy! It'd be a full-time job just reading it all!
They are hard at work cleaning it up now. Threads are being moved around into sub forums as we speak (write).
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yep... and Geraldine is up to her neck in Moderation duties. <chortles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Yep... and Geraldine is up to her neck in Moderation duties. <chortles>
I'm sure it will settle down in a few days. More active than before, but manageable. If not, Ashley is going to need some serious help. I don't think Frontier was fully prepared for this. They are catching up though.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Gimi wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
They are hard at work cleaning it up now. Threads are being moved around into sub forums as we speak (write).
Only two sub forums so far. I think they need more.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Staked myself a spot in the new forum. :D

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Some new titbits in here. Elite Dangerous is going to be set in 3300, 50 years after FFE and the Thargoids are definitely back.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/elite-d ... -space-sim

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Hi,

Sorry I have been away for quite a while. I was very excited to see a new version of Oolite announced as recently as a few days ago. I was worried that with the coming of E:D whether Oolite would be the target of some kind of lawsuit or lack of developer interest. I am happy to see that work is continuing on it. Oolite is important because it is a creation by people who loved the original game and that those people decided to create it in such a way(open source with javascript OXPs) that allowed it to constantly grow and evolve to be a game for any number of people. I hope Oolite continues on indefinitely and that there is space for both OOlite and E:D
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Welcome back!

Oh, I think this town's big enough for Oolite and E:D to exist together. Oolite is keeping the flame of Original Elite alive, after all and if it wasn't for projects like this then the Elite fan community wouldn't be as strong as this. And, of course, the first official author of an Elite Dangerous novel is an Ooliteer.

Have no fear, Oolite is here.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

There's a new pledge update on Kickstarter for those who've pledged. One of the big news in it is that for those who couldn't pledge is that soon you'll be able to do so.
Hi everyone,

after the excitement of last week it seems almost bizarre how crazy busy things have been this week. We've been busy putting everything together and this update is to tell you where we are with various things.

So what comes next? Apart from the obvious 'making the game' we have a number of rewards that we now need to provide. To do this we'll need various pieces of information from you. To manage this process we're creating a web app that will be based on our website that will allow you to manage your pledge rewards, select add-ons and organise gift pledges. You will also be able to increase your pledge (or make your first pledge) via PayPal if you wish. The system will be online within the next two weeks.

In the meantime you can still pledge via PayPal on our website:

http://elite.frontier.co.uk

We will also be setting up the new backers, design and writers forums. These will be online by the end of the month. In the meantime you can access our public forums that are open to everyone and can be found at:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29

The first newsletter will be posted in early February and we'll have some new cool stuff to report. We're still looking into the details, but at the moment our expectation is that we'll send out the newsletter every two weeks and we'll also have a more in depth dev diaries from David or myself or other members of the team every month. Although we'll post additional dev diaries as needed when we have cool new things to show or tell you about. The dev diaries will be posted as Kickstarter updates.

As is traditional we'll close this update with a book plug. Kate Russell's 'Mostly Harmless' Kickstarter is still running and she's now working towards her stretch goal of an audio book. Visit her project below to provide your support:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kat ... -working-t

So once again thanks to everyone for your support. We are making this game!

Michael
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

If you increase your pledge via Paypal does that mean you can increase your reward alongside it?

Hmm, that might be a question for the Frontier Forums.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Selezen wrote:
If you increase your pledge via Paypal does that mean you can increase your reward alongside it?

Hmm, that might be a question for the Frontier Forums.
I think they said earlier that the rewards are still limited in number. So, yes, you can upgrade, but you get the reward only if there were free spots left after the Kickstarter ended.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

My apologies in advance, as I'm sure this has been discussed, but extreme laziness dictates that I can't be arsed to read through 41 pages.
Does anyone know if E.D will work standalone, without internet connection?
I'm imagining it will work something like minecraft, with a down loaded game that you can play alone, or your mates can join in, with a few big servers online for proper multiplay. Is that about right?
Cheers.
J