Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Lets buy Ian Bell a plasma globe for Christmas!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Commander McLane wrote:
Not necessarily, 'cause the conversion also can take place at the receiver's end, or on both (difference between OUR, BEN, and SHARE).
Sounds like you are talking about the charge bearer fields in swift (or ISO20022) in which case this isnt where the conversion occurs, it is where the charges are applied.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I personally do take issue with the £8.66 bill. At the moment it's more like a £9.12 note, or summink, but hey, everyone's a critic! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr James wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Not necessarily, 'cause the conversion also can take place at the receiver's end, or on both (difference between OUR, BEN, and SHARE).
Sounds like you are talking about the charge bearer fields in swift (or ISO20022) in which case this isnt where the conversion occurs, it is where the charges are applied.
Well yes, I admit, I ommitted the charges. Bun on the other hand, those are included in the price and monthly fees of the set-top-box. :P
Kaks wrote:
I personally do take issue with the £8.66 bill. At the moment it's more like a £9.12 note, or summink, but hey, everyone's a critic!
Hm. I may not be up-to-date with the Euro-Pound exchange rate, that's why I consulted xe.com, and got exactly the rate mentioned (today it's more like 8.74). And I guess the actual rate you would get at a Forex office would still be lower.

Anyway, if you don't like your 8.66 bill, you are free to exchange it for two 4.33 bills free of further charges. :wink:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Mr Drew! All updates are on the first page. Your da secret santas.

Just received amounts from (I believe) from Chrisfs and Micha

Oh I found out a little more about the fees.

Between 1.4% to 3.4% +20p So on micro transactions it really bites you in the ass. (not that I'm saying donate more,) I'm just saying that the system has been set up more for 50-100 pound transactions than micro ones.

Oh and anything cross boarder (country) they appear to just make up a figure and double it. (they don't give figures just lots of asterisks linked to ambiguous statements.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

PayPal having been blotting their copycat pretty regularly, especially recently, where they have 'confiscated' various people's funds, and refused to give money back. Made worse by the fact that some instances involved charities!

That said, I've used them many times, and never had any issues... (famous last words!!)
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Now I've asked steve to help with this but anyone can chip in if they like. I've been trying to get in contact with Ian and it is proving to be a little difficult to get a response.

I'm trying ibell(at)ibell.co.uk

are there any others that people could PM me?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I kinda thought he might be difficult to contact.
I think he has something to do with this lot... might be worth checking.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Any luck?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

that is the email address he gives, and is the address used for paypal donation. On the other hand it looks like the domain was only registerd a year or so ago, so perhaps it lapsed and he didnt notice.

Why do we need to contact him anyway? Surely a box of prezzies and the enclose note is enough. I am not at all convinced he wants loads of elite email, as I see nothing encouraging it, and a note on his website saying please read the faq before mailing him. His faq does tell us how to say thanks, and does not say yes please send me fanmail.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I agree that he most probably does not want fanmail etc. But he probably doesn’t want a load of presents that he may already have either… many people don’t bother, or forget, to update their wishlists when an item has been acquired by other means, and some of those items on that list have been there a very long while. I very much doubt that he’s short of money, and if he really wanted, say the last item on the list (the only one with a comment), then he’s probably already bought it.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

He says on his website that people who wish to say thinks should buy something from his wishlist. Amazon maintains the list and updates things as they are purchased. Why do we suddenly think we need to go rooting around on the internet to find alternate contact details because he isnt responding with the ones he published?

He will be delighted to get a couple of small gifts with a note that says "Right on Commander!". Even if he already bought a plasma globe and forgot to update the wishlist.

What he wont be delighted by is his wife getting email from some dude who ignored his website and found a way to contact him through unofficial channels. And having found the secret hotline to him, what do we do? We say sorry to bother you, but could you update your amazon list because we dont want to buy an origami book that you might already have!

Come on guys, I know you are trying to do the right thing, but we dont need to call in CSI on this one.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Fair comment, James... have I missed something? When was his wife mentioned... that is out of order.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Cmdr James wrote:
Come on guys, I know you are trying to do the right thing, but we dont need to call in CSI on this one.
Aw, c'mon. Can't we call in just one? :wink:

"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oooh, nice camera! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

Kaks wrote:
Oooh, nice camera! :D
It is indeed very nice, I didn't notice that at first.. :|