Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by Cody »

I put it down to having a laid-back shipcomp... I actually like it.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

What's that annoying interference and how to disable it?
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I like the background scenes very much put took the liberty to remove the overlay images with the function keys. Seemed a wee bit redundant to me but probably useful for beginners. The custom sounds didn't stay long. I found the chatter (i.e. audibles) during combat very distracting. I can live the with the core sounds set very easily. Having said that I still appreciate the work and all the time you OXP authors spend on making the gaming experience more enjoyable.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Vic wrote:
Did someone noticed delay between onscreen message "witchspace jump in ... seconds" and corresponding sound?
Zireael wrote:
What's that annoying interference and how to disable it?
This 'delay' is simply the time your system needs to load and start playing this sound. There are several factors like I/O transactions, bus speeds, background tasks, slow areas on HDDs, etc. which have a impact not only on loading stuff, they also have a impact on JS execution. The coming version preloads the sounds (new feature in v1.75) to minimize this gap.
CaptSolo wrote:
I found the chatter (i.e. audibles) during combat very distracting.
Yep. Probably I should stop the chatter on condition red. Good idea - muchas gracias .-)
Commander Ragugaki
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Ragugaki »

Svengali wrote:
For v1.3.3 the chatter (like the other sounds) will be preloaded and contains 14 different sounds to give some variety and the script has a new property to disable the chatter. Additionally Pagroove and I are currently busy testing other sounds for 'weapon_overheated' and 'warning' and some of the images are tweaked as well. It will take some time though to fit in the new sounds and images, because we're trying to keep the OXP consistent.
@Svengali Could you try adding some of these to BGS?
Soyuz 14, voice on 121.75 MHz, Pavel Popovich calling "Zarya ya Berkut", July 3, 1974 or even
Soyuz 16, voice on 121.75 MHz, A Filipchenko calling "Ya Buran,.." at 1335 UT, Dec 5, 1974 or even
Soyuz 17, voice, 121.75 MHz, Jan 11, 1975. Soyuz 17 in final approach to dock with Salyut 4. or even
Soyuz 22, voice on 142.4 MHz, September 19, 1976 or even
Soyuz-33, voice on 121.75 MHz, Saturn crew reading landing angles, April 11, 1979 or even
Mir, first voice signals from the station on 143.625 MHz, 1414 UT 16 March 1986

How about these?
International Space Station, voice on 143.625 MHz, crew talks to TsUP, 1027 UT, 4 Nov 2000 or even
International Space Station, Mark Shuttleworth reporting on 143.625 MHz, 0825 UT, 28 April 2002

Sven Grahn, Sollentuna, Sweden
"And... sweet Lord Giles on a gyro-spider, they didn't even fit you out with a docking computer!"
Have you tried docking at full speed lately?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

What is the licensing situation on these?

And on another level: do we imagine communication and background sounds of space travel in the 32nd century to be just like in the 20th?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I think 14 samples should be enough for the basic set, but expanding it is already possible via script. Additionally we can add a option to expand it via entry in missiontext.plist similiar to the new music stuff that is already implemented for v1.3.3.

The current WIP version checks the entries "BGS-STATIONMUSIC_1" ... "BGS-STATIONMUSIC_5" and, if defined, it adds the filenames to the music pool. Multiple files can be separated by “|”.

The same could be done for the chatter ("BGS-CHATTER_1" ... "BGS-CHATTER_5").

Drawback of using missiontext.plist keys is that OXPs can override each other, but it is a lot easier to understand for new users and using a script is still possible. Additionally it avoids that Pagroove and I have to worry about the licenses .-)
Commander Ragugaki
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Ragugaki »

Good point on the licensing - best not use without permission.

The idea of 20th Century was from our origins in Elite (1984).

Suppose that 34th Century would be a whole different kettle of fish (or insects or felines...) :wink:
"And... sweet Lord Giles on a gyro-spider, they didn't even fit you out with a docking computer!"
Have you tried docking at full speed lately?
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

just as an option: when the docking computers are engaged, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6TTU1knUM could play
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In that case, it would have to be distributed under the CDL software license.
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Absolutely love this package.

Slightly overusing a speech loop, but wth.

Someone keeps saying something about "gooey". Lol. Huge improvement on customsounds.oxp which terribly overused "oooh look at the stars" or something similar.

I'll be trying the PAgroove thing soon enough, love his music.

"YOU'RE IN THE GOOEY, NOW!"
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

LOVE this set! I may manually replace a few sounds (such as "scoop active"), but otherwise, it is AWESOME!
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Can't seem to figure out how to install the PAgroove music set that goes with this.

The included read_me references sub directories of the main OXP - what do I need in order to open up the main OXP on a Mac?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Oathbreaker wrote:
Can't seem to figure out how to install the PAgroove music set that goes with this.
The included read_me references sub directories of the main OXP - what do I need in order to open up the main OXP on a Mac?
I don't us a Mac, but this is a quote from Commander McLane.
Right-click the OXP to open the context menu, then choose 'view package' (or whatever the menu item reads in English).
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Gimi wrote:
I don't us a Mac, but this is a quote from Commander McLane.
Right-click the OXP to open the context menu, then choose 'view package' (or whatever the menu item reads in English).
The mac has no right or left mouse button in its basic configuration, although the the current mouses can be redefined so the clicking the right side is seen as a right click. If you use just 1 mouse button like me, you must ctrl-click to get that contextual menu.

And like MacLane I don't know the exact english text. The dutch text would translate to: 'view package content'.