Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Windows+ATI star and nebula display bug solution.

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Nijik wrote:
What I would like to know is are the 9.6/9.7 versions of Catalyst Control Centre mentioned in this thread still the latest versions that appear to work as problem free as possible with Oolite?
For my X800XTPE those two bugs never were fixed.

I'm happy that I was able to return the 4870x2 in exchange for a nVidia GTX295 as now at least my main machine does give a problem-free oolite experience. Since shortly after also the already troubled Phenom (it has a bug which reduces processor speed massively) machines motherboard died, I completely switched away from AMD/ATI and I doubt that I'll return to their hardware anytime soon.

Screet
Nijik
Competent
Competent

Post by Nijik »

Nijik wrote:
So, using the cracking new sticky "Tutorial - Modding the latest ATI/NVIDIA drivers for laptops" posted by Diziet I have finally successfully upgraded my ATI Xpress 1100 drivers to Catalyst Control Centre 9.11 only to find it gives me the square blob stars and more often than not 'displays' some ships (Neo Cobra Courier and Rapier to name two) as black shadows with exhaust plumes.
What I would like to know is are the 9.6/9.7 versions of Catalyst Control Centre mentioned in this thread still the latest versions that appear to work as problem free as possible with Oolite?
Update on my situation, I must have tried every version of CCC from 9.5 to 9.12 with no joy, all displayed a percentage of stars as square blobs and had issues with the Neo Cobra Courier and Rapier so for my last throw of the dice I installed the Omega drivers, ATI Tray Tools and ATI 3d Control Panel and so far all's well, running full shaders etc. Courier & Rapier looking good so fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Robiko
Poor
Poor

Post by Robiko »

lfnfan wrote:
I have been doing this game a quiet disservice.

I also saw the weird 'squares' in space, and just assumed that these appeared 'as designed'. "A bit odd," I thought, "but it's probably the best that can be done (this is a free game, after all). Perhaps it's just a stylistic evocation of how 'space' should look. Perhaps it's just reflections off the visi-screen....".

Now I see this thread and think - uh-oh it's me!!
Couldn't have said it better myself...I'm running XP Pro on a workstation with ATI FireGL V3100 graphics which is supposed to be optimised for OpenGL but I guess not...even with the latest drivers and latest trunk I still get the weird squares and no stars...as for the black ships I always thought they were a form of stealth ship...still didn't stop me blowing them away though...bring it on stealthy fighters... :lol:
In space no-one can hear you scream...or curse...or throw things at the monitor...