Attempting to get 1.91 built on Mac

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Attempting to get 1.91 built on Mac

Post by Bogatyr »

Is there an invite for it? I wasn't able to find it via google, etc.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Here you go, invite to the Oolite discord server: https://discord.gg/Nb83SeeR
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just to mention, I did see somewhere an entire battery of options regarding the inclusion of “audio outputs” into the latest.log (presumably included by Ahruman when he first encountered this problem). Perhaps look at the Debug Console in the Developer’s version of Oolite 1.90?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:09 am
Here you go, invite to the Oolite discord server: https://discord.gg/Nb83SeeR
Quick question:
On the website we advertise IRC. Should we add Discord?
And to not spread the community over too many different chats, should we then remove IRC?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Don;'t know about IRC, but the Discord server should probably be advertised more.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:43 pm
Don;'t know about IRC, but the Discord server should probably be advertised more.
Ack. I will exchange the link.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

The subreddit would also be a good place. There even is a thread on discord there, but without an invite link.
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

For those using emulation: what tools, resources, etc. do you use? I'm familiar somewhat with tools like virtualbox and qemu, and have used qemu on linux for example to boot and play with old dos versions. But I've never run MacOS in any emulator. For those who do this, what works for you?
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Bogatyr wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:49 am
[...] For those who do this, what works for you?
OSX-KVM is what I found quite straightforward to use (Slackware 15.0 on a Ryzen 7 here).
MrFlibble
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by MrFlibble »

For those using emulation: what tools, resources, etc. do you use? I'm familiar somewhat with tools like virtualbox and qemu, and have used qemu on linux for example to boot and play with old dos versions. But I've never run MacOS in any emulator. For those who do this, what works for you?
I'm running Ventura on OSX-KVM (LinuxMint) using two out of four cores of a gen6-i5 (libvirt/virt-manager), also Hackintosh Catalina directly on gen-6 i5 (HP deskpro Gen3) with 8G ram. Both mostly used to build mac x86 versions of things and do basic testing.

I did the OSX-KVM first, and wished I'd done it the other way round, as doing the Hackintosh taught me what the OSX-KVM setup had been doing. Hackintosh is a steeper climb, as one has to do most of the steps by hand, and skip around documentation a lot. Worth the grind IMHO.

Frame-rates on my osx-kvm are terrible, but I'm using remotely it over spice and don't expect miracles without hardware graphics acceleration. Ideally one would to hand-off a suitable PCI-e graphics card to the VM to take care of that. Sadly my KVM host is half height, so suitable graphics cards (cheaply) are very rare.

I've not played around with sound yet, but would probably go with a USB sound-stick on either.
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

Commander_X wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:42 pm
[...] For those who do this, what works for you?
OSX-KVM is what I found quite straightforward to use (Slackware 15.0 on a Ryzen 7 here).
Thanks. So I'm starting with trying to get my bearings on the issues, with Oolite 1.90 using XCode 11.3.1 on MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) (just because this is my day to day system and also where I play Oolite), and am starting to get a taste of the version management hell this will entail. The first major issue will be resolving the conflicting settings of libstdc++ vs. libc++ vs. deployment target, which crops up in the libjs subproject. Apple long since deprecated libstdc++ (gnu stdlibc++) in favor of clang libc++. My MacOS 10.14.6 system has

/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib
which is required to run all old programs that were built with libstdc++

and the OOlite-1.90 binary from the oolite.space website depends on it (which you can see with otool -L /path/to/your/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite)

/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 104.1.0)

I dusted off my 2010 mac mini and booted it up, and confirmed that yes, I had tinkered with Oolite development before, that's on MacOS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), and since I had been doing iOS development back in 2010-2012 I have various versions of XCode installed there, including apparently 5.1.1 and I successfully built Oolite 1.80 using that combination back in 2014 according to the project build history.

So I may be able to build 1.90 on that ancient system, I'll try that to see how it goes. I'll also see about bumping the minimum deploy target on 1.90 from 10.6 to 10.7, which is a requirement to switch to clang libc++.

The goal of all this is to be able to try to at least fix some problems in 1.90 and release some updates that will run on the broadest range of x86 macs that it can.
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

Well I made that change (macos deploy target 10.6 -> 10.7) and libstdc++ -> libc++ and the build made it about 3/4 of the way through before hitting another error, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel (that is hopefully not an assassin's military laser!). We'll see, I'll update when I have more progress to report. Craptons of warnings, though (999+)
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

We need a replacement for

http://oolite.org/dependencies/mac/Sparkle%201.5b6.zip
http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/files/ ... 01.5b6.zip

oolite.org is gone of course, and the 2nd line doesn't exist any more apparently.
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

Looks like I found it here:

https://github.com/sparkle-project/Spar ... es?page=10

but if anyone has this exact version cached somewhere from the Oolite build, I'd like to try it out, just to be sure. I'll try the above version tomorrow.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Found your zip on the wayback machine. Get from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18qO4Gg ... sp=sharing