new device, pirates tool perhaps

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: new device, pirates tool perhaps

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

So there's no advantage to coming up behind a big freighter and hacking his computer, scooping his cargo and running for it before he can react? I think the correct response is "I've been mugged!" You could be a pirate fugitive having never destroyed a single ship with the right scripting. How's that for a career path. And don't forget the candy locked away in the derelicts. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I still like it - my commander would almost certainly use it (for derelicts at the very least) [but of course I'm not upgrading Oolite because I use "Save Anywhere"]
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I still like it... [but of course I'm not upgrading Oolite because I use "Save Anywhere"]
What is it about Save Anywhere that makes it not implementable in 1.75? It's certainly a function I'd like to have.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wildeblood wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I still like it... [but of course I'm not upgrading Oolite because I use "Save Anywhere"]
What is it about Save Anywhere that makes it not implementable in 1.75? It's certainly a function I'd like to have.
It doesn't work - that's all I know - some of the jiggery-pokery that made it work, doesn't work any more.
Selezen wrote:
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I'm not entirely sure... I had a quick look through it the other day. The only log errors that popped up were s/System ones, which I fixed, but it still didn't work properly. I wondered if it was because there were previous missionVariables in the test save game I used, but I couldn't see any.

When I launched from a constore, I was transported back to the main station, but it didn't seem to recognise that I was there, and so wouldn't allow me access to the save option. But I don't know enough about mission or GUI screen things yet to be able to proceed any further.

Does anyone know if Frame is planning to update it? I never used it regularly, but it was a useful thing to have around, and it seems a shame that some people aren't upgrading because of it...
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
It doesn't work - that's all I know - some of the jiggery-pokery that made it work, doesn't work any more.
The language of science goes right over my head some days. :P :lol:

All kidding aside why doesn't someone, preferably someone that has an incentive because they use it, go over that save anywhere oxp and fix it. Then there will be no excuse for NOT upgrading. This actually should be a board priority because the game mechanic underlying being able to save anywhere is now vital to the way some people play Oolite and the way a lot of people would like to play. Some things are hard to give up once you've tasted them. This discussion has been discussed before and should have it's own thread. I believe it was reasons to upgrade to 1.75.2.

So DH, you don't want to try being a pirate/robber without destroying/killing your victims? How about just the salvage oxp ideas mentioned earlier in this thread. I can't see any of it being compatible before 1.75 or 1.75.3 for that matter due to bugs. You know the best way to overcome the fear of jiggery-pokery is to get to know it and make it your friend. get it to do what you want. Perhaps you should tackle this project so that you can join in on all the other really cool things coming down the pipe and everyone will benefit from your creation. Besides, I think you would enjoy sneaking up behind some bloke with a blackjack and running away with his wallet! :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

At the moment RL(tm) says priority is writing lectures and exams, but if it goes quiet in the summer like it's supposed to - an I'm only left with my research, I will investigate the Save Anywhere mechanism.

(I was kind of hoping the Devs would give in and make it part of the game engine for random but repeatable stations)
Selezen wrote:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
At the moment RL(tm) says priority is writing lectures and exams, but if it goes quiet in the summer like it's supposed to - an I'm only left with my research, I will investigate the Save Anywhere mechanism.

(I was kind of hoping the Devs would give in and make it part of the game engine for random but repeatable stations)
This was my hope as well, actually. :wink:

WIKI+OXPs
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
...(I was kind of hoping the Devs would give in and make it part of the game engine for random but repeatable stations)
This was my hope as well, actually. :wink:
It would be good to have it working again with current versions. I can understand it not being a super high prio since in the "vanilla" game, there wouldn't be much of anyplace to dock except main stations anyway.

I don't understand near enough about the code involved, having only a very rudimentary idea of how it worked in the first place. So I'm just chiming on on the "yeah, that'd be nice" sentiment.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.