Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Griff wrote:
I shouldn't really be spamming this thread with unfinished work, but the normal map stuff that the devs have lined up for Oolite v1.73 is amazing, I can't resist showing stuff off. The decal had fallen off the ship in the first screenie, so here's another one with the decal in place and polygon smoothing switched off, and a lower specular exponent setting (makes the highlight area bigger), still not sure whether i need to paint in hull lights to brighten it up a bit?
I'm weeping with joy right now.

Really, someone needs to chain Griff up at his computer until he's done with the entire basic ship set and then some!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wolfwood wrote:
Really, someone needs to chain Griff up at his computer until he's done with the entire basic ship set and then some!
That's great for us shader supporting types but think of poor ol' A_C and Thargoid et al who are shaderless - I think it's a two stage process - Simon B's ships replace the classic set (the originals appearing only in strict mode) and then the step up from that will be Griff's re-imaginings (and I don't mean that disrespectfully Simon B you've set yourself a very difficult task of making the old ships look modern, fantastic and yet still inherently "classic" and I think you're doing an amazing job - so please more of your fantastic creations)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
That's great for us shader supporting types but think of poor ol' A_C and Thargoid et al who are shaderless - I think it's a two stage process - Simon B's ships replace the classic set (the originals appearing only in strict mode) and then the step up from that will be Griff's re-imaginings (and I don't mean that disrespectfully Simon B you've set yourself a very difficult task of making the old ships look modern, fantastic and yet still inherently "classic" and I think you're doing an amazing job - so please more of your fantastic creations)
...and the next step being Simon producing models and Griff providing the shader stuff for them? ;)

Screet
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Or Griff and Simon and Scarecrow working as a modelling and shading triad... :shock: 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

There's no reason why any effects or depth layer can't be started by one person then embellished by another. All it does take, is a shared sense of creative accomplishment, humility and lack of envy.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Or Griff and Simon and Scarecrow working as a modelling and shading triad... :shock: 8)
Yes! Yes! Please ... :shock:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
That's great for us shader supporting types but think of poor ol' A_C and Thargoid et al who are shaderless /snip
Just for the record, Intel has been supporting OpenGL 2.0 in their drivers for a few months now, which means that poor ol' A_C has finally managed to get on the shader wagon and feels great about it.. :-)

And, to remain on subject: What an awesome Cobra MKIII this is! Griff, I thank you for giving us this model and hope to be able to get it up on the screenshots section on Berlios very soon. Marvellous job.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hopefully i can upload the oxp this weekend, i'm at the obsessively fussing with the effects maps stage at the moment, but having the ship appear in Oolite earlier this week is a good sign that it all might just work :)
Simon's been very cool about uploading the resource files for his ships so once the cobras done and a few bits and bobs for Arks con stores oxp, i'm hoping to grab a few of his ships and normalmap-ify them just to see what they look like and how we all feel about it as a comOonity, should be a lot of fun to do as Simons done all the hard work already :wink:
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Griff wrote:
Simon's been very cool about uploading the resource files for his ships so once the cobras done and a few bits and bobs for Arks con stores oxp, i'm hoping to grab a few of his ships and normalmap-ify them just to see what they look like and how we all feel about it as a comOonity, should be a lot of fun to do as Simons done all the hard work already :wink:
Might one hope that this sort of cooperation would speed up the shadifying process of the basic set a bit? :wink:

Also, does the Wolf class of ship ignite your creative imagination at all? It would be so very nice to have a new shadified model of that one as well... :wink:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Dear all
This is a very special moment. The Cobra MkIII, the ship that defines Elite/Oolite, as you have never seen it before. Griff, I remain speechless after witnessing this Cobra in-game and again thank you so much for it.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Griff's Cobra MkIII as will be seen on Oolite v1.73:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
And the show has just begun...
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

*applaudes speechlessly* :D
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

There's a lot of ships that are going to need a lot of upgrading.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Like I've said before, I cry sentimentally when I see that new Cobra MkIII by Griff...
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

:shock: Simply stunning!

This thread just gets better every time I visit.

Breathtaking!

G.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Oh!!! My god :shock: :shock: