Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
just wanted to let you know that on Oolite 1.75 it now looks like this.

rvn 3744
trunk contains all kind of cut-off code that cuts off code execution after some very short time. I assume that this is happening with you. It is only worth working on this, after this part has settled in trunk.
In my old trunk I even get:

Code: Select all

[script.javaScript.timeLimit] OOJSEngineTimeManagement.m:196: ***** ERROR: Script "Save Anywhere OXP" ran for 0.0639002 seconds and has been terminated.

and

[script.javaScript.timeLimit] OOJSEngineTimeManagement.m:196: ***** ERROR: Script "oolite-random-hits-spacebar" ran for 0.0509599 seconds and has been terminated.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Random Hits v1.4.5 seems to have a bad commodities.plist file.
Gold, Platinum, and Gem-Stones are all set to tons instead of kg, kg, g.
The other values may not be show-stoppers, but they look really strange as well. :P
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Weird. Oolite 1.74 + should ignore attempts by oxps to change commodities units. IIRC that code was put in there almost a year ago...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Those settings are bad even if Oolite ignores them now.
And the very odd settings that do work seem unintentional/crazy. :lol:
(like nearly 40 credits for FOOD!)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Switeck wrote:
And the very odd settings that do work seem unintentional/crazy. :lol:
(like nearly 40 credits for FOOD!)
That's intentional, as far as I know.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

My bad, misread the numbers. :oops:
It's 38 with +6 per economy type, for only 32 credits max theoretical value.
That's not as bad as I originally thought. Max profit for that would be 127 tc x 30 credits/tc = 3810 credits profit. (assuming you paid 2 credits for each)

What's really strange is both Narcotics and Machinery have negative values -- how does that work?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It's (sort of) intentional. I'd ment food to be about 4 Credits higher than the price at the main station and similar for liquors and wines (seemed fair enough that a bar would pay a bit over the odds for these things as the need them in higher quantities). Machinary and minerals are meant to be a bit cheaper than average (due to the surplus from the mining activites). Slaves and Alloys also a bit cheaper (hunters bringing in captured criminals and bits of destroyed ships floods the market a bit). I hadn't meant though that you could make too much money with in system trading (added this more for flavor really). Although Commander McLane posted a very good explanation of how the commodities plist works, the maths made my head hurt so went with trial and error and probabley didn't test it properly. :oops:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I have to figure out what price ranges I want, multiply them by 2.5 to convert it to Oolite's internal values.
So 4 credits higher would be the same as raising the original value for food from 19 to 29.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
I have to figure out what price ranges I want, multiply them by 2.5 to convert it to Oolite's internal values.
So 4 credits higher would be the same as raising the original value for food from 19 to 29.
I once made an spreadsheet to calculate the minimum and maximum results for different economies. Here is a spreadsheat for the current random hits commodity plist. (I converted it now to excel format for general use)

Narcotics have a special calculation, that is not mentioned on the wiki pages. And when you choose values that generate negative results, Oollite will just show the value zero.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I've noticed the writing on the tombstone is backwards as well.

That the seedy bar will pay a good bit for a load of food or booze is not really surprising. They charge around 3 cr for a meal and drink, which is about half what a *ton* of food would cost at the main station? When you consider (as is discussed in assorted other threads) that would work out to anywhere from over 150$ to 3k$ (depending on how you figure the Oolite monetary standard as compared to current USD) for a sandwich and a bottle, they can afford to pay a bit for a *ton* of food or booze. Especially when you consider that only "clean" rated commanders can land at the seedy bars, which is also bound to drive the prices up a bit.

I had not noted plat/gold/gems being "in tons", but I can say that when you actually buy them you get kilos or grams in any case, not tons. I might not be paying close attention to the units on a list, but I definitely would have noted if I suddenly had tons of precious metals or gems in the ship's safe.

As such, the actual glitches are really very minor, and it's a great OXP.

EDIT: PS- Think of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Now think of approximately 70 of them stacked up neatly. If they were full of wheat or soybeans or whatever, that would be about one ton of food. That's a lot of food or booze, we're talking about there.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "specials-tex.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "specials-tex.png".
I wasn't sure what caused this.

Code: Select all

grep -lir "specials-tex.png" *
(Thank you, Google...) gave me
RandomHits1.4.5.oxp/Models/neopython.dat
This would make sense, considering I had just left a Seedy Bar to get a contract, although I wasn't paying attention to what ships were around or what I was told to kill...

"neopython.dat" does indeed use "specials-tex.png" and there is no texture file of that name in the folder. There was no noticeable effect from this; I just happened to notice it in my log file and was curious!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

The texture can be found in the Neolite OXP.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Micha wrote:
The texture can be found in the Neolite OXP.
Ill add it to a next release. I never noticed it as I also have neolite itself installed.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

There were at least two reports that the text on the grave stones was mirrored. I never could find the course because the code was correct. However, today I found the reason when working with Tionisla Graveyard. I noticed Little bear used the gravestones from this oxp. But they were mirrored in that oxp. In Random Hits this is corrected, but because TGY loads after Rand.., the corrected date is overwritten again with the buggy data when you also have TGY installed.
I'll make sure that the mod files are renamed in a next release to avoid this problem with TGY.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

I just looked version 1.4.5 over; there is at least one old error still in it.

Go back to page 32 of this thread, third post down, Mon Dec 28, 2009, ADCK posted a "Bug Fix Guide".

The commodities.plist still has the wrong weight measurements for mining products such as (but not limited to) Gem Stones, Gold, etc.

=====

I would be interested in this OXP if there was a "Lite Version"; if the code and files were trimmed down (a lot), if the OXP used only the *DEFAULT* ships, certain features such as the NPC "Hunters" were removed (or at least simplified... they get in the way too much), the "revenge" features removed (or at least simplified, AND use only the default ships), etc. In other words a simple "Random Hits" where you can take contract missions to other systems for... Random Hits.

I.E. something like the assassination missions in Elite Frontier and Elite Frontier First Encounters. But with the Ranks preserved, point system preserved, etc. (I would probably make at least one little change for my own use... I would change the names of the ranks, at least "The Great One" would be named to something else).

I tried to hack together a simpler version myself back at version 1.3.x. The code was so extensive and systemic that I got dizzy. I kept messing up the OXP and introducing errors.

Please don't misunderstand... this is NOT a complaint per se. Just a SUBJECTIVE wish, but it MIGHT be a wish shared by a few others.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!