Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by pagroove »

and now the way Oolite even has a built-in expansion manager so you can do it all without having to manually unzip and install the files? pure genius.
Welcome. Yes I agree. The expansion m 8) anager is very handy. And fast too. On my computer. I updated all my OXZ's within 5 minutes this morning.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

welcome all new commanders.. keep your lasers cool......
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

from me too. Welcome to all new commanders
Amah
Space_Harpoon
Poor
Poor

Post by Space_Harpoon »

absolutely! quick question for some of you guys - do you use old OXP files (that aren't OXZ) with 1.8? I think I read somewhere that you can still have .oxp files as long as they contain a 'requires.plist', but I haven't been able to get any to work. do you just pop the oxp in the same folder as the managed oxz's?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, I use plenty of old OXPs in 1.80/1.81 - but dropped into the AddOns folder as normal.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Space_Harpoon, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

<rant> I must admit that I am not a fan of the OXZ format as it doesn't encourage the individual to learn anything about.... well anything really! It is a symptom of the lazy plug and play generation that takes everything for granted. That seems to think that everything on the internet should be for free and people that put a lot of hard work into something only reward should be the satisfaction of giving to others. That said I am no way saying that you are such a person. It seems to me to be a trend I have noticed across a lot of places and it is getting on my nerves and I am having a rant about it.

I like the OXP format as it taught the non computer literate person a little about trees. As they had to unzip the OXP then find the Addons folder and put it in there for it to work. The OXZ way of doing things teaches nothing at all. I have not a single OXZ and will continue to use the OXP way of doing things. </rant>

Welcome To the Friendliest Forum this side of Riedquat :D
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Space_Harpoon
Poor
Poor

Post by Space_Harpoon »

hahaha I know what you mean Fatleaf, honestly I was used to installing OXP's in the addons folder myself as well (I've been playing this amazing game since the old 1.65/1.69 releases). I personally enjoy having to engage a game even more than that - for example dwarf fortress, where most mods are just scripts and tags you have to modify/paste into the resources by hand. the new OXZ system for Oolite is really nice though, because if you're like me then all your old downloaded oxp's still have old zip files, and the associated empty folders, complete with readme files, all sitting around some godforsaken corner of the hard drive. plus, the convenience of finding and downloading updates to your mods all on one scrolling page within the game is just unbeatable
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Space_Harpoon wrote:
absolutely! quick question for some of you guys - do you use old OXP files (that aren't OXZ) with 1.8? I think I read somewhere that you can still have .oxp files as long as they contain a 'requires.plist', but I haven't been able to get any to work. do you just pop the oxp in the same folder as the managed oxz's?
An OXP might work if you dropped it into the Managed AddOns folder, but you'd probably confuse the in-game manager if you did. The normal AddOns folder as before is the best place for them.

Any OXP which worked before 1.80 should - other potential incompatibilities aside - also continue to work in 1.80.

The OXZ format has a required manifest.plist file which allows the in-game manager to process them. Old OXPs without this file will continue to work, but it's strongly recommended that new or updated OXPs also have a manifest as this helps manage dependencies between OXPs and warns if you accidentally install the same OXP twice.
ancipital
Average
Average

Post by ancipital »

Hello people,

I've been around before, but I am brilliant at losing account info, so I have reregistered now. I met some of you at BAFTA a few years ago, at the post-Braben lecture drinks. I.. err.. was using a BugMeNotted account before, so I was just one of those people posting as "Commander Jameson", naughty me.

I have been playing Elite, Elite+, Frontier, Frontier 2, OOlite and E:D.. for <mumble> years, starting in the eight bit era. I do enjoy E:D, but have to say that I enjoy the proper offline nature of OOlite, and the gradual evolution and careful stewardship of the dev team. It's a real labour of love.

Anyway, this is a more legit registration, so I thought I'd say hello. I come in peace, and am mostly harmless :D
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

Hi ancipital,

welcome aboard. Same here, also played Elite in various incarnations starting in the 8bit era.
Amah
ancipital
Average
Average

Post by ancipital »

Amah wrote:
Hi ancipital,

welcome aboard. Same here, also played Elite in various incarnations starting in the 8bit era.
Thanks! It's predictable that we share that vice, given where this is.. :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi ancipital, and welcome.
(C64 back in the '80s, and I wasn't that young then!)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, ancipital - a fan of Brian Aldiss, by any chance?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ancipital
Average
Average

Post by ancipital »

Thanks all..

..and no, somewhat allergic to Aldiss, I must admit.. more of a Murakami, Calvino, Pynchon and Charles Stross bent, really.