Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

OK, this one is a little iffy - it's a planet that started out normal but gets extensively modified:

In James Blish's Earthman Come Home (1959) the Hevians, colonists of the planet He ask the flying city New York (the whole city with antigravity drive) for help in ridding their planet of their enemies and changing it's climate. For various reasons the New Yorkers don't have any way to refuse. The Hevians aren't really as specific as they should be about the details. To complete the contract the New Yorkers build several dozen Spindizzy (antigravity/FTL) drives and and install them around the planet. When they're eventually done the first result is a volcanic eruption under the enemy city, followed by the entire planet zooming off into space at several thousand times the speed of light. The New Yorkers eventually take off, leaving He heading out into intergalactic space, apparently never to be seen again (except that it turns up in the sequel).
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

ffutures wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 pm
OK, this one is a little iffy [...]
Iffy it is, but unfortunately on the downside -- an "artificially moving" planet is not "artificial", sorry!

I have two more examples in mind, none of them in the literature, but each in a different genre of entertainment.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

How about Ego, the living planet, in the Marvel universe - played a big part in Guardians of the Galaxy II - lots of versions of its origin, but all agree that it's essentially a created object, not natural, even though people can live on it.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

ffutures wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:37 pm
How about Ego, the living planet, in the Marvel universe - played a big part in Guardians of the Galaxy II [...]
#4 it is.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Commander_X wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 am
ffutures wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:37 pm
How about Ego, the living planet, in the Marvel universe - played a big part in Guardians of the Galaxy II [...]
#4 it is.
Aha! Then in that case how about Mogo, the living planet and Green Lantern, from the DC universe? Might be a bit iffy since there isn't much back story - it's a planet and it's sentient, it supports a varied ecosystem with lots of plants and animals, but how it got that way has never been quite clear.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

ffutures wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:38 pm
[...] Aha! Then in that case how about Mogo, the living planet and Green Lantern, from the DC universe? Might be a bit iffy since there isn't much back story - it's a planet and it's sentient, it supports a varied ecosystem with lots of plants and animals, but how it got that way has never been quite clear.
Sorry to come so late with the answer: ffutures takes this round!

There were two more examples I had in mind: the (real) Meridian "station" in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and (a bit of a stretch with the ecosphere, but would had passed the filters :-D ) one of the "anomalies" (season 3 episode 2) that generated The Expanse region in Start Trek Enterprise.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK... we've been looking at ridiculously big things, let's have a round of ridiculously small things - five stories with microscopic characters or settings. By microscopic, let's go with 1mm or less in the LONGEST dimension. And because they're way too easy we'll rule out The Atom (DC comics) and Ant Man (Marvel) and all derivatives e.g. The Wasp.

Usual rule - only one answer from any one source or author - e.g., if I accepted Ant Man no other character from Marvel would have been allowed. And we'll continue with "only one answer per reply" since it makes things more interesting. And please give it a reasonable while before you post another answer!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Fantastic Voyage 1966...
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

cbr wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:08 pm
Fantastic Voyage 1966...
Absofragginglutely - one down, four to go!

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Flux, by Stephen Baxter, features a civilisation of sub-microscopic beings who live within a neutron star.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Disembodied wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:10 am
Flux, by Stephen Baxter, features a civilisation of sub-microscopic beings who live within a neutron star.
Another good one - three to go!

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There’s also the Nucleus, the initially microscopic baddy from Doctor Who and the Invisible Enemy.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

the Galaxy in a pendant on the cat from Men in Black..
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

spud42 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:48 pm
the Galaxy in a pendant on the cat from Men in Black..
OK, though remember that our universe was inside something like a marble played by aliens in the end bit of that film, so it may be a circular thing. Three down, two to go!

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

*ahem*
Disembodied wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:55 am
There’s also the Nucleus, the initially microscopic baddy from Doctor Who and the Invisible Enemy.