Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

The missing textures on the spacebars etc in oolite 1.74 are probably being caused by missing texture 'uniforms' in the shipdata.plist to 'link' the shaders and the relevant texture files together, it just needs a bit of an edit to get it all working, the problem is the shipdata.plist is written in XML and everytime i open the file to start fixing it all enthusiasm drains :(
the way to do it is here in Ahrumans example
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... &start=137

there isn't a magical converter program somewhere that will change this to openstep? some sort of Apple Mac thing or something? you can change it back to XML again after i've added the texture uniforms if you really want to <key> :P </key>

edit: Oops, ignore me, i have lost the plot
Last edited by Griff on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

too weird, I was just looking at the shipdata.plist for Random Hits and comparing it to the one for captKev_dodo.oxp you worked on.

I'm a little confused on the XML part though, when I pull up the shipdata.plist in notepad ++ for either it looks like this, the Random Hits is just missing the uniform:

"griff_spacebar_entrydock" = {
"like_ship" = "griff_spacebar_subent_template";
model = "griff_spacebar_dockingbay.dat";
roles = "docking-slit";
shaders = {
"griff_spacebar_dockingbay.png" = {
"fragment_shader" = "griff_spacebar_dockingbay.fragment";
textures = (
"griff_spacebar_dockingbay.png",
);
"vertex_shader" = "griff_spacebar_dockingbay.vertex";
};
};
};
Last edited by Porksmuggler on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

lol, putting 'xml to openstep' into google brings up a post on this forum as the first in the list of results
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

what should the uniforms section look like for the above (in openstep)?
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
The missing textures on the spacebars etc in oolite 1.74 are probably being caused by missing texture 'uniforms' in the shipdata.plist to 'link' the shaders and the relevant texture files together, it just needs a bit of an edit to get it all working, the problem is the shipdata.plist is written in XML and everytime i open the file to start fixing it all enthusiasm drains :(
I uploaded the shipdata in ascii here. I left it in xml because my favourite plist editor uses an ascii version that only 99% of the computers can read. This one was made with my old one.
I did remove the shaders from the rock itself because it was a basic shader and that is now transferred to the materials section that uses oolites default shaders.
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

^I guess I'm missing something, the file you just uploaded looks exactly the same as in the release when I open it with Notepad ++ I'm not seeing it in XML?

I think he's saying openstep only will show the source XML, and he edits only in openstep?
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Just tried out v1.4.2, I've removed 1.4.1 but log file showing errors for both version?

[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (Random_Hits 1.4.1): Error: System.addGroup(): expected positive count no greater than 64, got '0'.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ../AddOns/RandomHits1.4.2.oxp/Scripts/oolite-randomHits.js, line 772.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-07-05 21:55:13 +0100.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Or, more likely, this.version at the beginning of the script file is still saying 1.4.1, even though the oxp's version is 1.4.2.... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Porksmuggler wrote:
^I guess I'm missing something, the file you just uploaded looks exactly the same as in the release when I open it with Notepad ++ I'm not seeing it in XML?

I think he's saying openstep only will show the source XML, and he edits only in openstep?
You are right, I already converted it to open step with the 1.4 release. It was just that griff told it was xml code. And I did not check.
Actually, I converted all plists to open step except the description and mission.plist because my converter removes than all comments from those plists.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

DGill wrote:
Just tried out v1.4.2, I've removed 1.4.1 but log file showing errors for both version?

[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (Random_Hits 1.4.1): Error: System.addGroup(): expected positive count no greater than 64, got '0'.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ../AddOns/RandomHits1.4.2.oxp/Scripts/oolite-randomHits.js, line 772.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-07-05 21:55:13 +0100.
It is a harmless bug. Its trying to add a random number of ships. And even when using a Math.ceil to round it up it results in zero. In game you won't notice this.
Kaks wrote:
Or, more likely, this.version at the beginning of the script file is still saying 1.4.1, even though the oxp's version is 1.4.2....
But the file does start with 1.4.2. I often forget to raise this number also, but not in this case.
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

BAH! Don't let your Captured Thargons loose when attacking your mark!!!! If they accidentally kill the blighter before you the kill gets credited to "Another Bounty Hunter" and you don't get the pay either. Damn their eyes!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hang on, i'm confused, have i got an out of date version? i can't remember where i downloaded it from originally, it was in the big oolite stuff folder on my pc, it's shipdata.plist is in xml format, but in fact in the current version of the OXP it's all in openstep? *goes to download*
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

tonyhippy wrote:
BAH! Don't let your Captured Thargons loose when attacking your mark!!!! If they accidentally kill the blighter before you the kill gets credited to "Another Bounty Hunter" and you don't get the pay either. Damn their eyes!
You think the guild would be happy with it's members being wimps and relying on technology to do their work for them? :twisted:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Shader and shipdata.plist updates (for Random Hits 1.4.2), hopefully all the glowy is back (and now also available in no shader mode)
http://www.box.net/shared/fm6nlsai3n
:lol: I haven't docked at a Spacebar for ages, I'd forgotten how funny this OXP is

Edit: This isn't needed anymore, Eric's added them all into Random Hits v1.4.3
Last edited by Griff on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Is anyone else on a shaderless system getting major slowdown with version 1.4.2?

Whether I enter an anarchy system, or exit from an anarchy station for the first time, it takes a fair while for everything to be populated: and frame rate never returns to normal.

There's nothing in the log file, and I seem to remember someone mentioning the Seedy Spacebar being altered. Could this have affected rendering on non-shaderfied computers?