Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

ClymAngus wrote:
so with the "old empire" shall I do a loose map around all the industrials at the moment, would that be an acceptable way to go?
It is just industrial though is it. It is agriculturial ones too. Zones enforced by a previous empire. I would suggest you zone both without reference to an actual empire name (so people can fill in the blanks themselves) but more like "Old Central Agri Zone", "Old Imperial Rimward Industrial Zone" or similar. Also you shouldn't follow the current Agri/Industrial zones precisely as some systems must have altered during the intervening time. Example is CELAAN which used to be Agri in the old empire but is industrial now. This way it doesn't look as an odd inclusion into the agri zone like I had in my versions of the regions.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

PhantorGorth wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
so with the "old empire" shall I do a loose map around all the industrials at the moment, would that be an acceptable way to go?
It is just industrial though is it. It is agriculturial ones too. Zones enforced by a previous empire. I would suggest you zone both without reference to an actual empire name (so people can fill in the blanks themselves) but more like "Old Central Agri Zone", "Old Imperial Rimward Industrial Zone" or similar. Also you shouldn't follow the current Agri/Industrial zones precisely as some systems must have altered during the intervening time. Example is CELAAN which used to be Agri in the old empire but is industrial now. This way it doesn't look as an odd inclusion into the agri zone like I had in my versions of the regions.
We will try.

Oh word to the wise. We're not playing this game on map 7.
Too many other people have staked a clain to g7 for there to be any of this,

"Oh look! All the democracies are bulked together to form an outline of a monkey with a trunk. Well it's GOT to be called the democratic monkey trunk sector then!"

"but, but it cuts through several other zones already layed down in the wiki"

"La la la Democratic Monkey Trunk Sector la la la!"

Try it and be ignored, persist and be hunted down.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

The reason that I didn't make any additional stops in the Raonbe cluster is because that leg is most profitable as I currently have it. Right now it is seven jumps with maximum economic difference between the worlds. That means a lot of money can be made very quickly there. Detouring in the Raonbe cluster would detract from that.

However, if you want to insist on making additional stops there, Rirelaxe-Raonbe-Usbeus-Orxete looks to be the best.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

well, I didn't do it for ego or control reasons. I was just thinking that considering the oddity of jumping (the same distance is small jumps = a lot less time than one big jump) that some smaller close jumps could more than make up for the slight reduction in profits) What do you think? If not then that's cool I'll put it back. Anyway I'll upload, take a look and we'll go from there. :)
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

True. I do have a tendency to consider only the total number of jumps, not the distances involved. In player terms, fewer jumps equates to less time spent in transit. However, in universe, longer jumps take more time.

Put in the new stops. The time in jumping between them is small, and it makes the route a bit more interesting.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Right bored of this I got into a lot of trouble today for spending time trying to hammer these 2 maps into one

conclusion = can't be done.

answer = finalise the routes and publish both, let the people decide on what they want to download. I'm sure some clever author can come up with a good reason for the difference. Right, I've got to get home to my by now pissed off wife and sick daughter.

Might be on-line later, I might just jump into a bottle of wine with my spouse and do the back stroke......
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

While in the process of expanding Famous Planets 2.0 to Galaxy 2 and creating the Tomoka Run I ran into a route error. Maesaron directly to Atzaxe is not possible. The route must go over Ausar (anarchy). Then it's just possible. The planets are 7.2 light years from each other.

See screen shot

And Maesaron as a bonus

For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

no problem fixing now. (Hey, no ones perfect). :D
Whilst I'm at it I think I'll take the opportunity to chech the trade routes are to the front. And do the other chart renames too: cos we were leaning towards galactic "sectors" rather than separate galaxies weren't we?

1) renaming to "Transgalactic" and Galaxy "sector" whatever.
2) Moving all routes worth a mention to over lap the Normal routes.
3) moving all area names to overlap routes
4) Fixing the tomoka run.

I seem to remember there was a misspelling on g1 as well. Can anyone remember what it is?

all fixed.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=92204#92204

2 tings:

See the FP topic. I am in the process of making Galaxy 2.0 planets. Any Teonan web background is welcome for the backgrounds of this planet group. Also Need some good planetary descriptions for the TOMOKA RUN (mmm sounds like a highspeed train/spaceship for example)

Is the map project stalled? would be a shame as there only are 2 or 3 galaxies left.

Anyway ideas are welcome.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

pagroove wrote:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=92204#92204

2 tings:

See the FP topic. I am in the process of making Galaxy 2.0 planets. Any Teonan web background is welcome for the backgrounds of this planet group. Also Need some good planetary descriptions for the TOMOKA RUN (mmm sounds like a highspeed train/spaceship for example)

Is the map project stalled? would be a shame as there only are 2 or 3 galaxies left.

Anyway ideas are welcome.
1. I'm steering clear from doing planetary descriptions, mainly because I'm getting a bit of rep as a Prima donna who spits out the dummy when things don't go exactly his way. So yeah I'm just making the maps. :D

2. no, 7 is one day away from basic release and a jpeg of 8 has been prepped with connections ready for building.

I've recently lost the graphics card on my main mac so I'm working on an older, slower crapper bit of kit. Still there are a lot of over lapping systems on 7 and 8. And there's a lot of "stuff" in 7 that's going to need some thinking about. So yeah, home stretch but it's uphill.

You will get your 8. as per the original bet on page 1. Then, I'm going to get pissed. :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
You will get your 8. as per the original bet on page 1. Then, I'm going to get pissed. :D
I'm sure I speak for many here when I say there's a lot of us who'd love to buy you a drink after all your hard work.. do you have PayPal? :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I'm sure I speak for many here when I say there's a lot of us who'd love to buy you a drink after all your hard work.. do you have PayPal? :mrgreen:
I'd buy him one for sure and a stiff one at that, too :D

Keep up the good work!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

ok

More than any other map this one is effected by the Assassins.oxp . But not in a "screwing with systems" way, in more of a sectors way. I wanted to include as much of this oxp as possible without altering the basic information of the map or reducing other users input. So far I've come up with this

GALAXY7

Initial impressions: This is a very fractured map,

Reasoning:

routes: "the road" much like gal 4 this is a non-trading route connecting the 2 fanatical zero-gee hockey ZARAUSXE to ORRAMAOR it's not perfectly safe but then what is?

still lots of trade routes to find.

sectors
THE KLEPTOCRATIC SWATHE covers pretty much all of the criminal states that are supposed to occupy this map. Sitting over one of the only 2 routes from left to right across it. Perfect place for it ready to flense any traders dumb enough to use it.

Galcorp: Is badly split in this map, the only place that's big enough with stable systems to make a galcentre is far right, the galcorp special branch on the other hand is situated on the other side (I did manage to find some friendly systems to make a sector though) Then you have the supreme court which is surrounded by feudal systems slap bang in the middle. Which could explain the lawlessness of this map. The criminals literally have a strangle hold on access.

The ISARE PACT: I originally went looking for a sector that encompassed the massively militaristic ESZAUSVE system reasoning that they would bully systems around them into tribute, but the other systems seemed perfectly capable of defending themselves. To be honest if ESZAUSVE didn't have it's history I would have probably made this region the gal centre as it has a lot of the high tech systems in it.

Also I've got Eszausve as colonists not birds but that's probably an oxp altered stat.

As it stands the only other group I can realistically pull out of this is between the communists and the confederates. If someone else can come up with something better then cool.

There have been some other "systems of note that I can't yet work into any regions. They are denoted by circles round just one system.

I would suggest that people read over the wiki for g7 so you can get a better idea of the method in my apparent madness.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Powers ... laxy_Seven
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

A potential route in the isolated region:
Xeonar-Esarxeve-Ribiraor-Gelesoma-Esaqube-Israa-Ataer-Sobeteve

A branch off of your white route near the northwest corner:
Maarbi-Sorezaan-Veis-Zalaxe-Leisinma-Xeorusge-Sobeer-Isisan

A route going through the GalCenter:
Cerianon-Eded-Isbianri-Gegeso-Ateslete-Esleve-Tivequ-Ertius-Reesquen-Becetla-Laindi-Enqurale-Raondile-Edrilain-Oresatra
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

couple of things. I'll be uploading 7 and 8 tonight.

also I've noticed a couple of "traps". Mainly hyperdriving into a system group that has no tech 10 systems in it effectively locking a player in that part of the map.

I've located 2 traps so far one going from 7 to 8 and another spaning 5-6. I was going to mark these areas in red as places NOT to hyper jump from.