RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wolfwood wrote:
Personally, I think the insetting of the rotors would look better. An example:

Link if the pic doesn't show up.

Mind you, the design should also take into account the possible malfunction of any single one of the rotors... We'd not want the dock to crash down every time some hotshot pilot misses the mark... :P

Hmmm... The rotors will need to be frangible...
Yours for only £3.24M!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Simon B wrote:
Alex wrote:
Err, hate to disagree with any one, but that hud is the one I use and it says MedusaHud on the oxp I use
Erm - to which do you respond? LittleBear posted that the HUD in his pic was the Star Trek HUD with a tweak. Don't recognise the Pangloss one.
Pangloss is using medusa. It's the upgraded version I would have put up some better picks but the "briki" is still locked.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

You do not need a docking slit... you can make part of the deck, the docking entity... if you want... would also allow for some rather large vessels to dock..

And you can use ship.remove() to have entities disappear without an explosion
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Wolfwood wrote:
Personally, I think the insetting of the rotors would look better. An example:
[That's a big pic]

Ducted fans would be cute - but think of the poly count!

Mind you, the design should also take into account the possible malfunction of any single one of the rotors... We'd not want the dock to crash down every time some hotshot pilot misses the mark... :P

Hmmm... The rotors will need to be frangible...
Well... are you volunteering to script it?
Hmmm... I think I'll stick with the helicopter - thanks all the same. (That thing, if real, must chew through fuel.) However - I think I can do you a deal on one for 1/10th the price you quoted ;)
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I would opt for something more energy efficient. Like a sort of Balloons, Zeppelin like. Because they have to stay a Loooooooong time in the atmosphere. The cities of Zarece (Famous planets) stay in the air like this. But I like the initial design very much! I like to see one in the atmostpehere. Isn't Oolite great? :wink:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

pagroove wrote:
I would opt for something more energy efficient. Like a sort of Balloons, Zeppelin like. Because they have to stay a Loooooooong time in the atmosphere. The cities of Zarece (Famous planets) stay in the air like this. But I like the initial design very much! I like to see one in the atmostpehere. Isn't Oolite great? :wink:
I started out having a dock slung between two Zeppelins. However - the model just got too huge.

The one shown is about 800m long! Imagine what a rigid gas envelope would do ... the great thing about rotors is that they move - eye candy. It's certainly bad science all the way.

Hmmm... has anyone worked out the logistics of doing a space elevator?

But I have to be careful I don't get too distracted by these things.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Simon B wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I started out having a dock slung between two Zeppelins. However - the model just got too huge.

The one shown is about 800m long! Imagine what a rigid gas envelope would do ... the great thing about rotors is that they move - eye candy. It's certainly bad science all the way.

Hmmm... has anyone worked out the logistics of doing a space elevator?

But I have to be careful I don't get too distracted by these things.
There's a whole thread somewhere in outworld about the real science behind a potential space elevator - how you would do one in-game I have no idea...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
There's a whole thread somewhere in outworld about the real science behind a potential space elevator - how you would do one in-game I have no idea...
I think the one outgame is the bigger technical problem :lol:

Wouldn't the collision box problem be a pain in certain anatomical areas if a structure as big as an elevator would be put into Oolite?

Like, a thin rope stretching into space from the surface to a station, but a bounding box of 30 kms?

And, paradoxically, another thought, shouldn't a space elevator be a pretty low-tech event in the Ooniverse, like tech 1 to 4 at best, as a world in which stable macroscopic wormholes (i.e. witchdrives) and bias drives (i.e. torus drives) can be created at whim such an elevator would be a costly relic, oh so last millenium ...

Just a few thoughts on the issue

L
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

@Simon, haloo dere, looking at pangloss's repaint (smart by the way, maybe those new quirrium blue panels could glow slightly?) I was wondering if it's possible to get your models to choose randomly from several different textures, that way if Pangloss and others want to send you some smart repaints they could be chosen from between those, your originals, and my roughed up versions, giving as much variety as possible.
The real rusties pack can still be seperate, with perhaps (again) other peoples variations on the theme as well as mine. People could add to this over time too.
Is there a code line that can be put in to do this?
If it's fairly simple then I can copy what you do and apply it to the rusties pack.

Nice concepts on the landing platform, maybe the elevator idea could have a small compartment that goes up and down (between the planet and the platform) now and then, carrying only people.
If the helium balloon idea is too big, maybe it could be a cross between the two with inset props and a smaller balloon arrangement?

EDIT No one commented on the GalCop livery, if you don't like it please say so and I'll have another go, I'm not adverse to peoples criticisms, infact it helps to get something out of it people think is suitable.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I rather liked the livery.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ZygoUgo wrote:
EDIT No one commented on the GalCop livery, if you don't like it please say so and I'll have another go, I'm not adverse to peoples criticisms, infact it helps to get something out of it people think is suitable.
It didn't look like police to me - but it's pretty stylish, please, if you change it massively, don't throw it away, but use it for player-vipers or such!

Screet
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Hi guys, thanks for the feed back, maybe it needs toning down a bit or the colours adjusting?
It's currently like this (albiet missing some small decals of one kind or another)..

It kind of reminds me of an eagle in space, try it on if you want.
What may be wrong is the blue/green I used to gave it a more futuristic look, on reflection it's the kind of colour you get on toothpaste tubes :D
I'll have a fiddle with it.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i'd agree w/ toning down. the square-pattern livery looks too flashy for a cop, looks more like a removal firm logo or something. imo.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

:lol: Maybe you're right there, I was trying to do something that looks like it could be sprayed on (but still futuristic) what with GalCops budget problems.
I'll try it with something different there (not sure what yet), although Simon said he likes the squares.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i'd agree w/ toning down. the square-pattern livery looks too flashy for a cop, looks more like a removal firm logo or something. imo.
Aren't those cops a "removal firm"? They actually do remove offenders from the seats of their spacecraft ;)

Please, if you remove those squares from the police version, keep them for vipers on sale to the public!

Screet