Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

When Ahruman's back to the board, he should be able to provide instructions on compiling Oolite in Snow Leopard, so hopefully you should be able to run a trunk build well before February anyway!

Do check the Oolite-Mac section in the next week or so.. ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Alright, I gladly wait for that! After all, the Let's Play will hopefully serve as a kind of promotion, too, so I want to present as much goodies as I can :)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I build on snow leopard pretty much daily. Although not this week as Im not near my machine.

Its exactly the same as any other OSX build. Its very easy in xcode, and I presume easy using the build scripts but I dont do that.

The documentation here should tell you everything you need. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Runnin ... rom_source

Can you let me know what errors you get, maybe I can rememebr what to do to fix them.

EDIT: and its been said a million times before, please dont use trunk to play, just for testing and development.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

(Hope it's okay if use the thread here for building discussion...)
Cmdr James wrote:
Its exactly the same as any other OSX build. Its very easy in xcode, and I presume easy using the build scripts but I dont do that.
The documentation here should tell you everything you need. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Runnin ... rom_source
Can you let me know what errors you get, maybe I can rememebr what to do to fix them.
I was just writing this post and building to give you the exact error message ("Command Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1") when I thought "wait... 4.0? Isn't it set to 4.2?"
Yeah, it was, and I still got 4.0-error messages. I set it to 4.0 now and it mostly works, although the libpng-custom build still spits out this error over and over again.
(Edit: same with 4.2, dunno what the error was before Oo So nevermind...)
Cmdr James wrote:
EDIT: and its been said a million times before, please dont use trunk to play, just for testing and development.
I know, I know. But since I'm going to record it, crashes can be cut out easily. So if it's not too crashy, I'll use the trunk despite repeated warnings.

Edit: 102 errors.
building libpng-custom gives me a "Command /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1" from pngmem.c to pngpread.c. These are 51 files, I doubt you need the complete log. If you do, just say so.

buildingOolite gives me 49 Errors while compiling OOPNGTextureLoader.m

Code: Select all

CompileC build/Oolite.build/Debug/Oolite.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/OOPNGTextureLoader.o src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m normal x86_64 objective-c com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_2
cd /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite
setenv LANG en_US.US-ASCII
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -x objective-c -arch x86_64 -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O0 -Werror -DXP_UNIX -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -mfix-and-continue -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -gdwarf-2 -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/build/Oolite.build/Debug/Oolite.build/Oolite.hmap -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -F/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/build/Debug -F/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/deps/Cocoa-deps -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Entites -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/BSDCompat -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/build/Debug/include "-I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/deps/Cocoa-deps/Ogg Vorbis" -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Entites -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/deps/Cross-platform-deps/SpiderMonkey/js/src -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/deps/Cross-platform-deps/SpiderMonkey/js/xcode -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/build/Oolite.build/Debug/Oolite.build/DerivedSources/x86_64 -I/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/build/Oolite.build/Debug/Oolite.build/DerivedSources -DLOADSAVEGUIXX -include /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Cocoa/OOPrefixHeader.h -DOO_CHECK_GL_HEAVY=1 -DOO_DEBUG=1 -DDEBUG_GRAPHVIZ=1 -DDEBUG -DOOLITE_MAC_OS_X=1 -DALLOW_PROCEDURAL_PLANETS=0 -DDOCKING_CLEARANCE_ENABLED=1 -DTARGET_INCOMING_MISSILES=1 -DWORMHOLE_SCANNER=1 -c /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m -o /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/build/Oolite.build/Debug/Oolite.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/OOPNGTextureLoader.o

/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:48:16: error: png.h: No such file or directory
cc1obj: warnings being treated as errors
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:55: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:58: error: expected ')' before 'png'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:59: error: expected ')' before 'png'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:60: error: expected ')' before 'png'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:66: error: expected ')' before 'png_bytep'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:66: error: expected ')' before 'png_size_t'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m: In function '-[OOPNGTextureLoader dealloc]':
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:92: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_destroy_read_struct'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m: In function '-[OOPNGTextureLoader(OOPrivate) doLoadTexture]':
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:105: error: 'png_bytepp' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:105: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:105: error: for each function it appears in.)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:105: error: expected ';' before 'rows'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:106: error: 'png_uint_32' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:106: error: expected ';' before 'pngWidth'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:113: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_create_read_struct'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:113: error: 'PNG_LIBPNG_VER_STRING' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:113: error: 'PNGError' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:113: error: 'PNGWarning' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:113: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:120: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_create_info_struct'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:120: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:127: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:134: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_jmpbuf'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:134: warning: passing argument 1 of 'setjmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:145: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_set_read_fn'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:145: error: 'PNGRead' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:147: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_read_info'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:149: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_get_IHDR'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:149: error: 'pngWidth' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:149: error: 'pngHeight' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:154: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_set_strip_16'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:155: error: 'PNG_COLOR_TYPE_PALETTE' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:157: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_set_expand'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:159: error: 'PNG_COLOR_TYPE_GRAY' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:173: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_set_filler'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:173: error: 'PNG_FILLER_AFTER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:179: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_read_update_info'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:184: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_get_rowbytes'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:187: error: 'rows' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:203: error: 'png_bytep' undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:203: error: expected ')' before 'data'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:205: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_read_image'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:206: warning: implicit declaration of function 'png_read_end'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m: At top level:
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:214: error: expected ')' before 'png_bytep'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:214: error: expected ')' before 'png_size_t'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m: In function '-[OOPNGTextureLoader(OOPrivate) readBytes:count:]':
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:217: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:226: warning: passing argument 3 of 'memcpy' makes integer from pointer without a cast
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:227: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m: At top level:
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:233: error: expected ')' before 'png'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:242: error: expected ')' before 'png'
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/src/Core/Materials/OOPNGTextureLoader.m:251: error: expected ')' before 'png'
Two more errors at the end while building DebugOXP.

CompileXIB Resources/English.lproj/OODebugController.xib
cd /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP
/Developer/usr/bin/ibtool --errors --warnings --notices --output-format human-readable-text --compile /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/../build/Debug/Debug.oxp/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/OODebugController.nib /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/Resources/English.lproj/OODebugController.xib

/* com.apple.ibtool.errors */
/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/Resources/English.lproj/OODebugController.xib: error: Unable to resolve plug-in dependency for "OODebugController.xib".
    Recovery Suggestion: Locate the net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin Interface Builder plug-in to continue opening this document. Consider using the --plugin option or Interface Builder's plug-in preferences to resolve this dependency.
    Underlying Errors:
        Description: Could not load plug-in.
        Failure Reason: Could not determine the location of the plug-in with the identifier net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin
and

Ld ../build/Debug/Debug.oxp/Contents/MacOS/Debug normal x86_64
cd /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP
setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 -bundle -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -L/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/../build/Debug -F/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/../build/Debug -F/Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP -filelist /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/../build/DebugOXP.build/Debug/DebugOXP.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/Debug.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -bundle_loader ../build/Debug/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite -framework Cocoa -o /Users/Corny/Downloads/Oolite/DebugOXP/../build/Debug/Debug.oxp/Contents/MacOS/Debug

ld: file not found: ../build/Debug/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Command /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Corny wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
I know, I know. But since I'm going to record it, crashes can be cut out easily. So if it's not too crashy, I'll use the trunk despite repeated warnings.
You shouldn't worry too much. For several months now I'm using trunk builds for normal playing ;) Even if some bug is introduced that creates a problem, it's typically fixed within the next one or two days. In general, the oolite trunk build runs much better than many commercial games do after several patches...

I personally would recommend to use a copy of the latest commander and then just try it once you get trunk running. Really...it's got it's improvements and typically runs very well! I did only have one crash for several weeks now and that was because of a wierd thing with a galactic misjump...

Screet
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Its not that trunk doesnt work properly, it isnt intended for playing. There is a reason we have releases, and dont just tell everyone to use the latest dev code :) For making videos it should be fine though, unless you are unlucky and someone broke it before you did the svn up.

There are a few initial points, have you set up all the dependencies properly? It seems like some header files might be missing.

For the debug OXP, did you remember to open the plug using interface builder after updaing xcode?
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Cmdr James wrote:
There are a few initial points, have you set up all the dependencies properly?
I didn't set up any dependencies, if that helps you :oops: Where would I have to do that?
Cmdr James wrote:
For the debug OXP, did you remember to open the plug using interface builder after updaing xcode?

No. (I didn't update Xcode but did a clean install, does that change anything?)
I downloaded the newest (64bit-)version of the net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin and opened it (and added it to the plugins).
The file is called RBsplitView.ibplugin and opens just fine. However, since XCode is nagging

Failure Reason: Could not determine the location of the plug-in with the identifier net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin
and doesn't let me locate it (if I locate it, it just asks me again), I renamed the RBsplitView.ibplugin to net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin, now I get

Interface Builder was unable to determine the type of "net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin".
Anyway, do I need the Debug OXP for playing? Doesn't sound like it...
Last edited by Corny on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

You do not need the Debug OXP, however it ought to build, so if it doesnt, then that might indicate other problems.

Lets start at the top. Did you do the following:

To build the trunk, you will need to install some additional files. First, you will need the source release of libpng. This will decompress as a folder called “lpng1223” or similar. Rename it to “libpng” and move it to deps/Cross-platforms-deps in the Oolite repository. Additionally, in order to build and use the Debug OXP in the Development configuration, the RBSplitView Interface Builder plug-in must be installed. Important: due to an unfortunate change between versions, you must use the 1.1.4 version of the RBSplitView IB plug-in, or use 1.2 but change its bundle identifier from net.brockerhoff.RBSplitView.IBPlugin to net.brockerhoff.RBsplitView.IBPlugin. 
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

-_______-
libpng was in deps, not Cross-platforms-deps... :oops:
Build succeeded, sorry 'bout that.
And now I know what you meant with dependencies :D I didn't realize deps stood for dependencies.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Cool. Im glad I could help, now its your turn: add some cool functionality ;)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’d just like to report that Eric has fixed the showroom lighting issue that’s plagued us for three years or so, largely by ignoring my over-engineered solution and fixing it the easy way. :-)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Wow!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yupp. Muchas gracias Eric (and for your continued work on the WIKI documentation, oxp-updating, ...) :-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

A note to shader writers: the fix uses light 1 for both showroom and space lighting, so OO_LIGHT_0_FIX is still not defined. Support for OO_LIGHT_0_FIX will probably be removed from the standard shaders, but if we ever add another light (e.g. for extra suns, or for planetary backscattering) it will be defined.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Binary Star Systems would be SWEET....