Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Okay ADCK, thanks (Step by Step guide... hehehe I was afraid of that).

Fortunately before I got very far into playing the game, I DID catch forum messages to the effect that "Windows Notepad is Bad for Ooolite". So I did download and install the latest NotePad++. So far I've used it once, to modify hud.plist to "restore the cloaking device light", based on a forum post. I am nowhere near the cloaking device mission yet, but I think I understood the posts about the issue, and I did verify that the modified hud.plist file size was just ONE character larger (changing a "no" to a "yes").

So... I THINK maybe I am up to the task.

Please, yes, post the info, or if there is a permission issue then PM me with the details? I assume its just a few specific changes to script(s).
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

On those wacky debug messages... I don't see them. After I accept a contract, I get a response from the person who offered the contract, and then a kind of "reminder" note not to cause collateral damage. Maybe this has to do with using debugging keys?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Bug Fix Guide: (For RandomHits1.3.6 only)

* Go to your Random Hits Folder. (Usually C:\Oolite\AddOns\RandomHits1.3.6.oxp )
* Open the Config Folder.
* Open the file: "commodities.plist"
~ Scroll down to <string>Gold</string>
Replace:

Code: Select all

<string>Gold</string>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>6</integer>
			<integer>-3</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
		</array>
		<array>
			<string>Platinum</string>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<integer>-1</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
		</array>
		<array>
			<string>Gem-Stones</string>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<integer>5</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
		</array>
With:

<string>Gold</string>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>6</integer>
			<integer>-3</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
		</array>
		<array>
			<string>Platinum</string>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<integer>-1</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
		</array>
		<array>
			<string>Gem-Stones</string>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<integer>5</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>2</integer>
		</array>
* Save the file.

* Open the file: "descriptions.plist"
* Press "Alt F" and search for: %X
* replace all instances of %X with %N
* Press "Alt F" and search for: <key>random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status</key>
Replace:

<key>random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status</key>
	<array>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] (Hatred : [mission_random_hits_criminal_hate_score]. Events Timer : [mission_random_hits_events_timer]. Dockings : [mission_random_hits_dockings_number]. Events Number : [mission_random_hits_events_number]. Special Mission Timer : [mission_random_hits_special_mission_timer]. Revenge Status : [mission_random_hits_revenge]. Time to Strike : [mission_random_hits_striketime]. Revenge Jumps Made : [mission_random_hits_timer]. Special Mission : [mission_random_hits_special_mission]. Master Timer : [mission_random_hits_events_timer]. Dice Roll : [mission_random_hits_events_dice]).</string>
	</array>
With:

<key>random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status</key>
	<array>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] Scum!</string>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] Slime!</string>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] Puss!</string>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] a pain!</string>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] a Rat!</string>
	<string>[random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status1] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status2] [random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status3] Filth!</string>
	</array>
(Can use any name-calling here, just replace the "Scum!" "Slime!" parts with whatever names you want them to call you :P )
* Save the file.

* Open the file: "shipdata.plist"
* Press "Alt F" and search for: <key>random_hits_mining_hopper</key>
* delete the following:

<key>beacon</key>
<string>H-Hopper</string>
* Save the file.
Last edited by ADCK on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JeffBTX wrote:
On those wacky debug messages... I don't see them. After I accept a contract, I get a response from the person who offered the contract, and then a kind of "reminder" note not to cause collateral damage. Maybe this has to do with using debugging keys?
Are you using the latest version of Random Hits? (RandomHits1.3.6)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

ADCK;

THANKS for posting this!

Yes, after unZipping the folder is RandomHits1.3.6.oxp

I downloaded thru the wiki OXP page.

I pretty much understand how to modify the OXP based on what you posted, I think I can handle it. Again, thanks.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Ah, okay... on those debug messages...

Its imbedded in the message where you buy a drink and pay your bar bill. I just missed all that before.

EDIT:
Just out of curiosity, what does that first set of changes do... the one with gold, platinum, gemstones? I'm guessing thats a bug addressed on some page in this 30+ page long thread...
EDIT (version two):
Okay, I am guessing here... those three commodities in the bar are probably messed up. Something I probably haven't noticed, I only looked at the commodities screen in a RandomHitBar once or twice.

Off to mod the OXP now... I will make a backup of the unmodded OXP, AND my savegame just in case.

Thanks again.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JeffBTX wrote:
Ah, okay... on those debug messages...

Its imbedded in the message where you buy a drink and pay your bar bill. I just missed all that before.

EDIT:
Just out of curiosity, what does that first set of changes do... the one with gold, platinum, gemstones? I'm guessing thats a bug addressed on some page in this 30+ page long thread...
EDIT (version two):
Okay, I am guessing here... those three commodities in the bar are probably messed up. Something I probably haven't noticed, I only looked at the commodities screen in a RandomHitBar once or twice.

Off to mod the OXP now... I will make a backup of the unmodded OXP, AND my savegame just in case.

Thanks again.
The commodities one is a common oxp bug that can crash certain systems, basically i changed the listed gold/gems/plat from being listed as tonnes to kg/g
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Okay... made the changes with Notepad++

Not tested yet, but I did exactly as you described and *TRIPLE CHECKED* the work, so I'm sure everything will be fine.

One thing... on the debug messages, I decided to just leave that as-is (raw variables). The main thing (for me) is that the hopper beacon should be gone ... it's fixed should I ever buy or sell commodities at the bar, and the surname bug should be fixed.

In the OXP documentation, it implies that the Criminal Hatred Score is theoretically open-ended. It also says that for this beta, Special Actions based on the Criminal Hatred Score have not been implemented yet. AND I don't know enough about Ooolite's / javascript's / language, and the full meaning of the Criminal Hatred Score and other variables, to make a decision on how to change that section. So I will just leave it at "raw variables".

From the Random Hits documentation:
When you pay your bill, you will also receive a message as to how you are viewed by the criminal community at the current time. (In this Beta though you’ll just see the raw variables).

If I made changes at all (not that I specifically know how to) I might just change the message to ONLY display the Criminal Hatred Score.

If I have any problems, I will attempt to fix them on my own, and if necessary I will post again here. But I don't anticipate any.

Again ADCK thanks for your assistance.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JeffBTX wrote:
In the OXP documentation, it implies that the Criminal Hatred Score is theoretically open-ended. It also says that for this beta, Special Actions based on the Criminal Hatred Score have not been implemented yet. AND I don't know enough about Ooolite's / javascript's / language, and the full meaning of the Criminal Hatred Score and other variables, to make a decision on how to change that section. So I will just leave it at "raw variables".

From the Random Hits documentation:
When you pay your bill, you will also receive a message as to how you are viewed by the criminal community at the current time. (In this Beta though you’ll just see the raw variables).
Don't get your hopes up on LittleBear ever finishing the Criminal Hatred Score, It was a concept that never got off the ground, no point in keeping it in as whatever he was going to use it for has gone up in smoke.

See this thread on why: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7067&highlight=
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

ADCK;

First of all, thanks again. I thoroughly checked out RandomHits after I made the changes you denoted. Everything works just fine. I checked the commodoties at a RandomHits bar, everything was as it should be (kg and g instead of tons). The hopper no longer has a beacon. I don't know about the surname bug, because possibly I haven't seen that (yet - except maybe I saw it once, I don't know for sure), but I did exactly as you said to do, I imagine it is fine now.

I did two assassinations with RH. In one of them I even managed to scoop up the target in the escape capsule, and went through the (usual?) dialogue with the situation upon docking. I kept checking the comm log for both missions. Everything looked fine.

Its nice to meet people here who are willing to help out newbies like me.

About the OE stuff... I read the threads on it, and I guess I understand the situation. As a newbie, I can't really present a "My Opinion" on it either way. All I can say is that at this time, I like being able to download individual OXP's and tweak them if necessary. At present, I hope that if OE ever really does become "a big deal", I hope that it is *optional*, and that if people want to use individual OXPs, then they can continue to do so. I hope it doesn't degenerate into a "control issue".

For now I guess I will just leave the "debug/raw variables" section alone in RandomHits - it doesn't especially bother me.

Thanks again for your help.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

ADCK wrote:
Don't get your hopes up on LittleBear ever finishing the Criminal Hatred Score, It was a concept that never got off the ground, no point in keeping it in as whatever he was going to use it for has gone up in smoke.

Err, I'm sure LB is very busy with RL atm, but I think writing Random Hits' obituary might be a bit premature... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Kaks;

I hope so. It would be nice to see this:

You've done quite a few RH missions, and the Criminal Hatred Score is getting significant.

You jump into a system.

... and a ship comes bearing down on you, and the pilot transmits the message: "Captain Stinkyfoot, remember him? You should, you killed him, and he was my DADDY! Now eat my lasers, bounty hunter!"

... and the other things that were planned and mentioned in the documentation.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Kaks wrote:
ADCK wrote:

Err, I'm sure LB is very busy with RL atm, but I think writing Random Hits' obituary might be a bit premature... :P
I sure hope so, Random hits is a massive project with like a bajillion lines of code, i doubt theres many here that could replicate what LB did, and no one would know RH like he does so it would be hard if not impossible to replace him.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

ADCK;

Sorry to bug you with this. Generally I know how to "code things", but I DON'T know XML (never specifically worked with it before), I've only worked with java script "a little" now and then (quite a while ago actually... just simple webpage apps), etc.

From your code changes above, ref:
random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status
... where its changed to output "Scum" through "Filth"...
... that's one change that I DID NOT put in, but I implemented the others you've described...

How can I change that to JUST output something like:
Hatred : [mission_random_hits_criminal_hate_score]
Maybe something like "Your infamy with criminals is rated at (raw criminal hate score value) ."
(with the punctuation at the end)

... thanks
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JeffBTX wrote:
ADCK;

Sorry to bug you with this. Generally I know how to "code things", but I DON'T know XML (never specifically worked with it before), I've only worked with java script "a little" now and then (quite a while ago actually... just simple webpage apps), etc.

From your code changes above, ref:
random_hits_bar_bill_header6_crime_status
... where its changed to output "Scum" through "Filth"...
... that's one change that I DID NOT put in, but I implemented the others you've described...

How can I change that to JUST output something like:
Hatred : [mission_random_hits_criminal_hate_score]
Maybe something like "Your infamy with criminals is rated at (raw criminal hate score value) ."
(with the punctuation at the end)

... thanks
No idea sorry, as far as i can tell the hatred score was not completly implemented, it was just something LB started on before he left.