Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Screenshots

Post by Norby »

ralph_hh wrote:
There goes my.. ?? What a funny OXP is creating such messages?
[wiki]Griff Krait[/wiki] - pilots in this ship always report damages. :)
Rxke wrote:
I barely recognize Oolite in these screenshots! 8)
Need [EliteWiki] Coluber HUD, [wiki]Multiple Lasers[/wiki] and [EliteWiki] Pitviper as player ship.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Im across ur Rift.
steelin ur cargoes...

Only took me two goes this time.

Shame it's such a backwater. Really needs better transport links...
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ok so that would be hitch a lift on someone going to Riareror, misjump it, deal with any thargs (without using injectors) then hope your full tank circle intersects with Tiared?

Is that even possible? :?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

ClymAngus wrote:
... hitch a lift on someone going to Riareror, misjump it, deal with any thargs (without using injectors) then hope your full tank circle intersects with Tiared?
The route back across the Great Rift is elsewhere in the Rift Worlds sector (or Baying Wolf, as it is also known).
You'd not have to 'deal' with Thargoids - merely survive for fifteen seconds while your jump drive does its thing.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Exactly. First time I got another sort of misjump, the one where you come out in the destination system but a huge distance from the station. Oddly the ship I was hitching on didn't appear there.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Cody wrote:
The route back across the Great Rift is elsewhere in the Rift Worlds sector (or Baying Wolf, as it is also known).
Aye, Baying Wolf and the Brainy Blind One have a unique symbiosis. It has ever been true that sight is not required to cross the strange abyss.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

But the only other place where the 2 even come close is.... Ahhh.

Taking 178 and 17 as your baseline with 192 as your final destination, in effect your just drawing 2 right angle triangles back to back. Anyone who remembers their Pythagoras knows that by crashing out at the base of the square where those triangles meet your no longer taking the hypotenuse you on the more direct long leg to 192. Cunning.

That certainly might get you OUT, but it doesn't get you IN. For that you'd need a similar structure but working in reverse. I see why you are where you are now. 89, 194 baseline to 229 split the difference between 89 and 194 and travel up the long leg to 229. Hang on, your fuel circle doesn't intersect with the 89, 194 line. Hmmm.
Cody

Post by Cody »

The midway point between Maedrebe (89) and Tiared (194) is 6.8lys from Articeso (229).
The fuel circle can be deceptive, due to that mysterious phenomenon known as rounding.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I was out having a look at Stormrider's new creation...

... when I got the "your cargo or your life" message on comms. Pirates flying over the planet, yeah! Here we go!

Their leader failed to realize the dangers of dogfighting so close to planet and unfortunately for him, burnt into the atmosphere while fleeing.

Overall, a very entertaining battle...
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

I like this shot, not sure what really gets me about it but it is now my backdrop.

Quick question - how do most people here make screenshots? I launch Oolite through Steam so for me I use the Steam snapshot - only minor hiccup is that F12 also changes between fullscreen and window on Oolite so I end up taking 2 at a time to get back!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

CWolf wrote:
Quick question - how do most people here make screenshots? I launch Oolite through Steam so for me I use the Steam snapshot - only minor hiccup is that F12 also changes between fullscreen and window on Oolite so I end up taking 2 at a time to get back!
Shift+8 (*) is the default screenshot key. Snapshots are saved in oolite.app/oolite-saves/snapshots.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Button #5 on my 'stick - a flick of the thumb (if necessary, I toggle the hud off first).
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

CWolf wrote:
how do most people here make screenshots?
The PrintScreen key next to F12 supported in most operating systems, try press it then start an image editor software and use paste (or ctrl+v) and save.

In developer builds of Oolite we have a takeSnapShot() function to call it in important moments.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Norby wrote:
CWolf wrote:
how do most people here make screenshots?
The PrintScreen key next to F12 supported in most operating systems, try press it then start an image editor software and use paste (or ctrl+v) and save.
On Windows, PrntScrn would copy to clipboard the entire desktop. To copy the active window only, you need to press Alt+PrntScrn and this would copy also the window borders and title bar if you are running windowed mode, which you probably don't want. Given that it would be a two-button press anyway, the default Shift+8 should serve just as well.

Of course, the fastest, easiest and cleanest way would be to do what Cody has done, or assign the snapshot key to something like spacebar or similar and have it ready to shoot at any moment.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Printscreen isn't good because it only saves the screen to memory, not to a file; shift-8 cretes and saves a file, so if you take three shots you get three files. If you do that with printscreen only the last screen will be in memory, and you still have to exit to paste it into a paint program or something, to save it as a file.