Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Feudal States

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The Feudal States

Post by DGill »

Ramirez wrote:
Ok I've now included tournament-related updates in a version v1.11 available from my site.
Thanks for the update, couple of points:

should the line in feudal-challenger.js, if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ENERGY_BOMB") == "EQUIPMENT_OK") be if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_FS_BOMB_PLACEHOLDER") == "EQUIPMENT_OK") ?

and did you intend missing Rileaa from the shipdata.plist ?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

You're right on both counts. One of the energy bomb references should instead be the placeholder, and Rileaa does appear to have gone AWOL from the shipdata. I've applied a quick fix to the same version.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Spartan
Competent
Competent

Post by Spartan »

Just a heads up, I keep seeing the following two statements in the log:

18:04:40.625 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (feudal-promotion.js 4.0): TypeError: player.ship.dockedStation is null
18:04:40.625 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ../AddOns/The_Feudal_States_v1.11.oxp/Scripts/feudal-promotion.js, line 28.

and again:

18:25:06.187 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (feudal-promotion.js 4.0): TypeError: player.ship.dockedStation is null
18:25:06.187 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ../AddOns/The_Feudal_States_v1.11.oxp/Scripts/feudal-promotion.js, line 28.

Edit:
Oolite 1.75.2
TFS 1.11
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I've made some small updates to fix the log issues; pick up the latest version from my site.
Last edited by Ramirez on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Competent
Competent

Post by Spartan »

Thanks, will do.
BraveSnave
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by BraveSnave »

I've searched this and other threads but haven't found anything that addresses my situation, but I'm sorry if I'm repeating something from somewhere else (I've not much experience with bulletin boards):

First of all Feudal States is the coolest OXP I've tried so far. Super fun.

Here's my bizarre technical snag (and totally all my fault!): I've had several pleasant and rewarding battles at the Hunting Lodge. As I'm saving to get my first new ship, this can be a great way to gather credits. So I go back and find an appropriate challenger, and accept a challenge. This brings one to a "start now?" screen. For some incomprehensible reason, instead of hitting "enter" to launch and start battle, I hit "1" instead. This also meant I launched, but there was no enemy to be found. So then I went back and figured I had to get to that "start now" screen again somehow, but when I return to the lodge and hit 8, all I get are the market prices!

So, figuring maybe it would reset itself if I left the system and came back, I tried that. No dice. Then, eventually, I tried going to a different Feudal system with a lodge. No dice. Then I tried removing the OXP folder, starting back up, flying around and saving the game, and then putting the OXP back in. No dice.

So basically this means no more fun at the hunting lodge? Is there any secret "super-reset" technique I could try? Perhaps a galaxy jump? Escape Pod? Or perhaps a file I can modify somehow? It would be a shame to lose Feudal from my Ooniverse!

Any advice or suggestions GREATLY appreciated!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

BraveSnave wrote:
instead of hitting "enter" to launch and start battle, I hit "1" instead. This also meant I launched, but there was no enemy to be found. (...) when I return to the lodge and hit 8, all I get are the market prices!
Oh, look! A bug! :mrgreen:

You'll probably have to hunt down the saved mission variables and find out which one went bye-bye.

And, welcome to the Friendliest Board This Side of Riedquat, Commander.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I think this is lazyness on my part by not dealing with the situation where you launch instead of using the menu options to exit the lodge. I admit it's not very user-friendly and I've noted it as a fix. I'd apply it now but I want to check whether the same issue crops up in the other elements of The Feudal States.

Quickest way to do a super reset is to open the save game in notepad and find the 'mission_feudal_challenger' variable. At the moment it should say ACCEPTED; if you change this to NONE_SET you'll be able to go back into the lodge and take on a new challenge.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Ramirez wrote:
open the save game in notepad
Doesn't Notepad add file-corrupting metadata?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Ramirez wrote:
open the save game in notepad
Doesn't Notepad add file-corrupting metadata?
sed(1), because point & drool doesn't rule.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ramirez uses macs so he's blissfully unaware! :)

Either use wordpad (included in windows) or notepad++ (freeware) or any other 'proper' text editor. Notepad is indeed 'evil'... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
BraveSnave
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by BraveSnave »

Thanks - I've not tried messing with the save files yet, but I'll have a go. I actually found a save file from before the problem occurred and carried on from there, which worked out just fine anyway.
Ramirez wrote:
I think this is lazyness on my part by not dealing with the situation where you launch instead of using the menu options to exit the lodge. I admit it's not very user-friendly and I've noted it as a fix. I'd apply it now but I want to check whether the same issue crops up in the other elements of The Feudal States.
It isn't much of a bug to worry about though. It was just habit to launch with a "1" instead of an "enter", but the instructions are all very clear from your end. Great job!

Now I have a Boa Class Cruiser teched out with everything (I had totally forgotten how difficult the game is without those military shields!) and am about to see what all the fuss is about concerning "shipping contracts", which seemed de facto impossible in a cobra since they're always so big. I still have difficulty believing they can become rewarding, but I shall soon see, I suppose.

But I look forward to more feudal explorations, finding a house with a cool crest to take me, doing some tournaments...

And I also look forward to your more recent OXPs when/if I begin to tire of my relatively "vanilla" version.

Awesome! THANKS for all the hard work! You OXP people are crazy!
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I just found this OXP, after reading about how profitable it is for good pilots. Thankfully there was a Feudal system within six light years.
I jumped over there, and accepted a challenge. The odds were 0.34:1. Of course, I won easily. Too easily. And then, I only bet 100 creds.
So, I went back (after saving my game at the main station), and accepted a challenge that was 10:1. I wanted a glorious battle, and I got one. :twisted:
This time I had bet 10k, which would leave me with 3k if I lost. But, my strategy is to bet the max and die rather than go broke. It has worked, and I've won every fight, with maximum profits.
Great OXP, Ramirez. :D
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

BraveSnave wrote:
Awesome! THANKS for all the hard work! You OXP people are crazy!
We are indeed! And welcome to the board BraveSnake. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Evenin' all. It's been a while since I've been doing any Ooliting but I thought I should do a few updates to the OXP in response to comments. So, I've added some fixes to the mission, challenge and tournament screens to avoid the game-breaking problems you get when launching instead of using the menu options. I've also added a little bit of business that adds a note to the planet descriptions (the F7 screen) identifying those systems that are members of the Feudal States.

The pdf readme is still clocking in at over 6 meg (I still don't know why), so I've kept it separate from the OXP zip file. Also if anyone knows why I still get that funny noise at the end of the piece of music that plays at the royal court then do let me know. The ogg file sounds fine on its own, it's only when played inside Oolite that I hear it.