Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Editing the Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Seconded, great job
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Fantastic job. 40 hours awake ::shock now you must have Oolite in you dna :). I have one idea for another comparison table. Ships by size ( length width and height). Then we can make a size poster like on the page of Jeff Russel's Starship dimensions.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

pagroove wrote:
...one idea for another comparison table. Ships by size ( length width and height). Then we can make a size poster like on the page of Jeff Russel's Starship dimensions.
Now there's a thought...I often think that the Oolite ships would sit well there, although which version? When you think about it we're spoilt for choice with the 'Vanilla' ships plus mine (Smivs'Shipset) and Deepspace Ships all using the original models, then there's Sungs, the Neolite ships and Griff's masterpieces as well.
By the way, for those of you not familiar with Starship Dimensions it can be found here.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

pagroove wrote:
Fantastic job. 40 hours awake ::shock now you must have Oolite in you dna :). I have one idea for another comparison table. Ships by size ( length width and height). Then we can make a size poster like on the page of Jeff Russel's Starship dimensions.
I thought about that too, one problem is alot of ships dont have their sizes listed, and they also use an older version of model.dat files which don't list thier dimensions, I could export them to obj and back to dat to find out their sizes, but it would be alot of work :P

Another is problem subentities, adding a subentity changes the dimensions, but theres no simple way of finding out an accurate size without merging the model and subentities into one model and exporting to dat.

At least, no simple way that I know of, there probably is, if anyone cares to enlighten me.

Also, fixed all the OXP Pages to use the same width of 150 pixels for the info/ship/station rows.

Oh, and added YAH Security Sidewinders and Racer OXP ships to the OXP/OXP Ships pages.

And of course, I also added Santa!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

ADCK wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I thought about that too, one problem is alot of ships dont have their sizes listed, and they also use an older version of model.dat files which don't list thier dimensions, I could export them to obj and back to dat to find out their sizes, but it would be alot of work :P

Another is problem subentities, adding a subentity changes the dimensions, but theres no simple way of finding out an accurate size without merging the model and subentities into one model and exporting to dat.

At least, no simple way that I know of, there probably is, if anyone cares to enlighten me.

Also, fixed all the OXP Pages to use the same width of 150 pixels for the info/ship/station rows.

Oh, and added YAH Security Sidewinders and Racer OXP ships to the OXP/OXP Ships pages.

And of course, I also added Santa!
Maybe a little guesswork?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

You know the flags I started adding to the OXP tables a while back?

Image Image

Well I've decided to add HTML comments after the flags which do not display in the table when viewed normally, to include the date the flag was put for, eg:

Code: Select all

<!-- last updated 23rd May 2010 -->
This should help us to decide when a flag should come off.

EDIT: Have worked through the tables to update them all. Some dates are guesses though. Have removed a couple that were put on months ago.

Can I ask that when you update an OXP, can you add the relevant flag to the table? Use the following code:

[[Image:New.gif|New!]]<!-- released (date) -->

[[Image:Updated.gif|Updated!]]<!-- last updated (date) -->
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I think it might be possible to make a template that does that automatically... not sure tho.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

How are you going to know when an OXP is updated? Or are you volunteering to watch everyone's box.net accounts and other hosting websites plus the OXP forum here and then update things?

Not everyone stores their OXPs on the wiki, and if we just update our box.net accounts or whatever then the wiki is none the wiser.

Plus I have to be honest and say those gif's do my eyes in.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I'm with Thargoid about the animated gifs. We could probably do with non-animated web 2.0 versions...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Instead of flashing "new" can we just put the timestamp up, that way I can tell if it is new without a myspace look and feel :)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
How are you going to know when an OXP is updated? Or are you volunteering to watch everyone's box.net accounts and other hosting websites plus the OXP forum here and then update things?

Not everyone stores their OXPs on the wiki, and if we just update our box.net accounts or whatever then the wiki is none the wiser.

Plus I have to be honest and say those gif's do my eyes in.
Its primarily the responsibility of the owner to add an update message in the wiki text. Now the page has broken down in small pieces, editing will be easier to do. Adding a time stamps is a good idea as now other editors also can see how long the message is up and can delete it if the author hasn't done yet.

The flashing is very present but that the intention of it. (For me a non animated text be enough) Its good as long as the flag is not put up for to long. I think the flashers should be remover after a month and the time stamp helps in this.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Damn flickering lights!

*ADCK reaches over and fiddles with the power adapter*

There, all fixed, no more flashing :P

To do a timestamp on a wiki, just type this: ~~~~~
(has to be 5 tildes, 4 gives your name and timestamp, 3 gives just your name)

That gives you the date right down to the minute. :P
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I was wondering what people think about something, as i'd like to get feedback before making this change.

I was thinking of changing the "Stations" column on the 4 OXP pages to "Stations/Carriers" as the Stations columns is underpopulated.

What do you guys think?

<EDIT> Oh, and i was thinking of making 'Oolite carriers' and 'Carrier OXP' categories too.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I think a good suggestion ADCK
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Agreed, like the idea. You could add some of the 'custom paintjobs' too. Smivs'Shipset, and Deepspace ships have replacement textures for the main stations, and Griff has some mean Dodo's (and maybe others).
Also it is now quite hard to find the replacement ship sets (Smivs', Deepspace, Neolite, Sungs and Griffs, so perhaps a Replacement Ships Sets list could be added to the main 'All OXPs by Category' page.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.