ashes to ashes

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ahruman wrote:
Um… Katla’s eruptions have been several orders of magnitude short of superanythingness.

Merely piddly little Mt. St. Helens-scale stuff.
Oops, yes, you're right.. :oops: Sorry, been doing too much reading on the subject lately, and a few recent news articles have referred to Katla as a 'supervolcano'.. guess it filtered into my consciousness somehow.. As you said, Katla is at least 3 orders of magnitude short of qualifying..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
So far the KLM and Lufthansa flights have deliberately flown into the breaks in the ash cloud or beneath it, to prove that if they're not in it - their aircraft aren't in any danger - hmmm....

A BA 747 has just landed back at Cardiff having flown a big loop, up through and then back down through the cloud, it's been whisked off to the BA hanger for a strip down. They made a big thing about the BA Chairman Willy Walsh being on it - so what - now if he'd put just his family on the plane - then I would have believed that he was sure there was no danger.
There's an old* story (the veracity of which I cannot in any way confirm) that tells the tale of how the Chinese improved the safety for air travelers. After being plagued by several nasty crashes, they simply put it into law that any airline executive above a certain level had to regularly fly in one of their own planes. Problem solved.

*A decade or two, at least.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Micha wrote:
Get a standard prop-plane (although you'd probably want upgraded air filters) and it ought to be fine.
I'm not really sure whether you can upgrade air filters in a way to deal with the amount of ashes you're going to encounter on the flight.
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

nor would I know what speed a propeller at it's tips might reach and if the "sandblast effect" would be able to harm it (or the wings).

I only know that at the "beginning" times of RC helicopters folks were sometimes using lead or iron bits in the tips of the rotor blades to adjust against imbalancies. Then they were soon finding their rotor shooting the bits around in most dangerous ways.
Those small RC helicopter rotors with a radius of ~1m and being run at high rpm values at their tips achieved really high speed.
1000 rpm -> ~400km/h. :lol:
(Then folks switched to use iron powder)

Though I still don't get why helicopters were not allowed to fly at low altitudes - I read about Kurt Asle Arvesen being stuck on an offshore oil platform because the helicopters were not allowed to fly. Hm.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

should use airships. could probbly use air currents to drift them along until they were clear then use the props.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

sticky ash would probably stick to the airship's hull, and bring it down with its weight.

And flying on currents would be probably slower than taking a car or ship.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Sarin wrote:
sticky ash would probably stick to the airship's hull, and bring it down with its weight.
Uhm… you realise we’re not talking about a very dense cloud once you’re 100 km from Iceland, right? Even if it did cling to an airship in surprising amounts, the process would – at the very worst – bring it down slowly.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ahruman wrote:
Sarin wrote:
Uhm… you realise we’re not talking about a very dense cloud once you’re 100 km from Iceland, right? Even if it did cling to an airship in surprising amounts, the process would – at the very worst – bring it down slowly.
Oaw man! I've got a nest of people on the brassgoogles forum (steampunk) who have gone into this in fine detail. It comes down to; does plankton cling to a sub hull? No. Same principle less animate.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ClymAngus wrote:
Oaw man! I've got a nest of people on the brassgoogles forum (steampunk) who have gone into this in fine detail. It comes down to; does plankton cling to a sub hull? No. Same principle less animate.
I could imagine static electricity becoming relevant in the case of a zeppelin flying though a cloud of small glass balls. :-) Anywho, I’ve heard and read a number of people who’ve done actual research saying volcanic ash is not believed to be a problem for piston engines, so we probably only need to revert to 1940s technology.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Dont give the steampunks any ideas :roll:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr James wrote:
Dont give the steampunks any ideas :roll:
FEAR MY LIGHTNING ZEPPELIN OF DOOM!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Adventure, Romance, Mad Science! :)

Mind you it would be kind of nice if someone recreated the Buck Godot stuff for Oolite! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Anyway - it's all moot now - suddenly it's all got better - nothing to do with the badgering from Airline Chief Execs - honest guv'...

As long as they all go to prison forever should an aircraft come down due to the ash.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

sticky ash?!

now THAT'S an airship.