Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Gimi wrote:
TGHC wrote:
That's true, but then you can get into arguments about Newtonian flight, object sizes etc, I don't recall too many issues about hearing energy bombs so why not, it just adds to the ambience. I'm not that bothered, but hitting the Tab key in error made you duck and if there were any Galcops around you're a marked man, so IMHO it does add to the flavour of the game we all love.
Agree, and the ships systems are made for humans, and human senses. Thus, using sound in the cockpit in order to make the pilot aware of his surroundings and increasing his situational awareness would be a natural consequence. So, in my mind, the sounds are generated by the ship in order to keep me on my toes.
When I was working for the MOD, there was a plan (and some actual experiments) to fit surround sound into helicopter cockpits, so pilots could hear incoming tracer fire from enemy guns, increasing pitch and volume indicated progressively more accurate tracking shots, and which speakers indicated which direction, pilots could and did react automatically without needing to check their instruments.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Greetings. I have a problem with disabling bgs-m_ambi_chatter2.ogg. It is very repetitive and becomes irritative quickly (for me, anyway), but I can't find it in customsounds.plist. Currently I only managed to delete it and replace it with empty sound of the same name (by copying and renaming bgs-m_silence.ogg). Is there some better way to do this? Thanks.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

dmipet wrote:
Greetings. I have a problem with disabling bgs-m_ambi_chatter2.ogg. It is very repetitive and becomes irritative quickly (for me, anyway), but I can't find it in customsounds.plist. Currently I only managed to delete it and replace it with empty sound of the same name (by copying and renaming bgs-m_silence.ogg). Is there some better way to do this? Thanks.
No, in v1.3.2 there's no better way. The chatter mechanism (with only 2 sounds) was more or less a test if it runs well and is not defined in customsounds.plist. Preloading through customsound.plist is a new Oolite v1.75 feature.

For v1.3.3 the chatter (like the other sounds) will be preloaded and contains 14 different sounds to give some variety and the script has a new property to disable the chatter. Additionally Pagroove and I are currently busy testing other sounds for 'weapon_overheated' and 'warning' and some of the images are tweaked as well. It will take some time though to fit in the new sounds and images, because we're trying to keep the OXP consistent.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

What's the HUD in the demo vid on YouTube? Is it a part of BGS (I only use the backgrounds now...)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Zireael wrote:
What's the HUD in the demo vid on YouTube? Is it a part of BGS (I only use the backgrounds now...)
The HUD is not part of BGS and the sounds in the video are Pagrooves alternative soundset. I don't know which HUD it is, but I'm pretty sure Pagroove will tell you more about it.

To get a feeling for the standard sounds a prerelease video (2.5 MB) is still available as download (Flash player required).
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

BTW, the sounds we are hearing are not real sounds from space (there is no sound in space as stated above) but electronic parasites in the radio.

Is it possible to insert background images which will depend on the planet informations ? This is my idea of images of planet I have for 3 years.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Commander Ragugaki
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Ragugaki »

Svengali wrote:
For v1.3.3 the chatter (like the other sounds) will be preloaded and contains 14 different sounds to give some variety and the script has a new property to disable the chatter. Additionally Pagroove and I are currently busy testing other sounds for 'weapon_overheated' and 'warning' and some of the images are tweaked as well. It will take some time though to fit in the new sounds and images, because we're trying to keep the OXP consistent.
Great images and chatter... BGS is a permanent OXP (along with Griff ships).
Friend asked, "How much that set ya back?"
Answer: "It's Oolite.." and he was hooked too!

Onya! :D
"And... sweet Lord Giles on a gyro-spider, they didn't even fit you out with a docking computer!"
Have you tried docking at full speed lately?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Makandal wrote:
Is it possible to insert background images which will depend on the planet informations?
This is my idea of images of planet I have for 3 years.
Yes, would be a nice option, but maybe it would fit better in Thargoids Planetfall. I have seen the pics in your Flickr account and they are looking very good, specially the first one is superb and looks very natural.

BGS itself shows only a planet from orbit - it is possible to expand this, but Cmd.Cheyds DH-Systems will have the necessary mechanisms, maybe it's something that can be used. Will talk with Cmd.Cheyd and CaptKev (his species pics are another cool thingummie).

But the more I think about it, your pics could be very useful for mission scripters. Is there a chance to preview some more of them?
Commander Ragugaki wrote:
Great images and chatter... BGS is a permanent OXP (along with Griff ships).
Thanks a lot. Pagrooves idea with the chatter was great.

a_c's RedSet, BGS and the set DeepSpace is working on - I'd think we are well prepared .-)
Last edited by Svengali on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Zireael wrote:
Hi Zirael. The hud is a custom hud which I use. It is not available yet. I'm not entirely happy with it at the moment. It was meant as a switchable hud. But is does not switch.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

pagroove wrote:
The hud is a custom hud which I use. It is not available yet. I'm not entirely happy with it at the moment. It was meant as a switchable hud. But is does not switch.
Switchable HUD's.........loving it already!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

I will upload them on friday or saturday. The internet speed here in Lagos is terrible. I think the cable/terminal (SAT3) linking us to Europe has been once more destroyed so we rely purely on VSat internet link.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@Makandal: Cool!
Vic
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Vic »

Did someone noticed delay between onscreen message "witchspace jump in ... seconds" and corresponding sound?

For me this delay is about 1 second, so I see "jump in 2 seconds" and hear "3" (bgs-m_countdown_3.ogg) simultaneously. The same thing with Halsis.oxp. On previous Oolite versions without BGS (I exactly remember 1.73, and maybe 1.74) everything with countdown was fine.

List of installed add-ons:

MilHUD-v3.4.oxp, Auto Eject.oxp, Gwx Stations.oxp, Griff_shipset_dizzy's_all_in_1.oxp, The Feudal States v1.6.oxp, Fuel Station 1.32.oxp, Welcome Mat 1.11.oxp, UPS-courier v1.7.6.oxp, BGS-A1.3.2.oxp, Griff_Debris_sets135_no_normal_map.oxp, Missile Analyser 1.2.oxp, Commies.oxp, Display Reputation.oxp, Long Way 1.1.oxp, Diso 1.1.oxp, Superhub 1.2.oxp, Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp, Shady Sungs v1.1.oxp, System Redux.oxp, Buoy Repair 1.02.7.oxp, Ore Processor 1.58.oxp, Sell Equipment.oxp, Flight Log 1.03.oxp, Capt_Kev_dodo.oxp, Traffic Control 1.11.oxp, Asteroid Storm 4.0.oxp, Transports 2.52.oxp
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Vic wrote:
Did someone noticed delay between onscreen message "witchspace jump in ... seconds" and corresponding sound?
Hi Vic and welcome... yeah, that delay has been there since BGS was released, I think.
It's less than a second on my machine, though. I'm sure Svengali is aware of it.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

On mine it matches... nearly. There's a tiniest bit of delay, but not a sec.