Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How about some super laser?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Which is different to a super laser because.... ? :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
Which is different to a super laser because.... ? :)
...my version did use so much energy that my ship did explode once the pirates did punch through the shields, thus making the weapon really bad for combat with larger groups of enemies. Of course, with less restrictive settings, the super laser simply eliminates all fun because there's no battle anymore as the hostile ships simply die too early. Changing it to a plasma shot instead wasn't better either. Really no fun those weapons tests ;)

Screet
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

Come on Kaks, with one bomb and the whole galaxy's dead :?: :?: :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
Shooting polygons since 2001
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Commander Learner wrote:
Come on Kaks, with one bomb and the whole galaxy's dead :?: :?: :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
Seriously. Even for a WMD that one's overkill of the stupid kind.
Energy bombs and cascade warheads weren't enough, I suppose. Some mad git had to turn that damned thing loose. :roll:
Oh joy. I so enjoy being threatened by unskilled boneheads that can't hit the broadside of a Boa at point-blank range with a frakin' laser, but somehow have enough functional brain cell to launch a cascade torpedo. Not! Heh, now I get equally unskilled antisocials that obviously wouldn't have a chance without lobbing galaxy-exterminating bombs.

And all of them big-talking blowhards with egos the size of a gas giant. Imagine that. Y'know, they must be trying really hard to compensate for something else lacking besides skill, sense and sanity. The bigger the ego, the bigger the WMD, the smaller the... :ahem: Right.

Now what kind of use would a megalaser be to them? They havn't learned to aim well enough to use it. But then if they actually had gunnery skills they wouldn't need it.

Of course I have no respect for that brand of twit. Oh sure, they wear the Gold, but with having zero skill beyond deploying zero-effort WMDs, it wasn't earned in my opinion.

Heh, watch the abovementioned punks start shooting their mouths off and trying to challenge me again. :yawn: You know who you are, boys. Knock it off already.

...And that's all I gotta say about that.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I find it amusing that some people haven't yet realized that these WMD are part of a purely piss-taking OXP. Plus, no one is forcing anybody to install it, so I don't see what the big deal is here.

By the way, Cmdr Wyvern, I find your rant particularly annoyning and uncalled for. That is after one more rant of yours in a different thread, where you addressed personal insults at another forum member, which was not acted upon because at the time I thought that you were joking. After seeing your last post, I realize that this is not the case. So, I just wanted to ask you: Can you drop the attitude please? Calling people mad gits, blowhards, twits, punks, or asking them if they have tried getting professional help does not get you any coolness points.

And that's all I gotta say about that.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Ok, I'm chill.
Mostly it is in jest, and partly a pre-having to crawl under the car and try to fix a u-joint blowing off of excess steam. I'm not really looking foreward to that. Gonna be almost as much fun as a root canal by the looks of it... Wish me luck there.
I apologize for any sore toes.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I'm interested to note that the heat generated by each weapon is the same for each shot.
weapon_heat_increment_per_shot = 8.0f;
I was under the impression that the pulse and beam lasers didn't run as 'hot' as the military laser, clearly that's not the case.

I'd much prefer to have the option of a laser with the 'beam' level of power, (or even less), that took much longer to overheat. A sort of 'de-tuned' military laser.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

drew wrote:
I was under the impression that the pulse and beam lasers didn't run as 'hot' as the military laser, clearly that's not the case.
It's sort of the case because of their slower firing rate, which allows for more cooling in-between.