Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Fighting with the controls- worth getting a joystick?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

caracal wrote:
Does the mouse not work on the Linux version? I tried Shift-M to no effect. Am I missing something? Running oolite svn version from 17 June under Ubuntu 7.10.
Shift-M works only in fullscreen mode. You probably tried it in a window, correct?
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

another_commander wrote:
caracal wrote:
Does the mouse not work on the Linux version? I tried Shift-M to no effect. Am I missing something? Running oolite svn version from 17 June under Ubuntu 7.10.
Shift-M works only in fullscreen mode. You probably tried it in a window, correct?
I could have sworn I replied to this a couple hours ago, but it's not anywhere I can find, so here it is again:

Yes, d'oh, I was in windowed mode. And I now see that it's even documented that it only works in fullscreen mode. :oops: Sorry! I wonder if that's why "press Shift on startup to recreate data cache" hasn't been working for me either. But it's easy enough to simply delete the cache file when testing a new OXP, so not a problem.

I avoid fullscreen mode because it keeps me from switching desktops, to check new email, answer IRC pages, and other semi-interesting computer-related stuff. But I guess when you are running oolite, nothing else should matter! :wink:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

caracal wrote:
Does the mouse not work on the Linux version? I tried Shift-M to no effect. Am I missing something?
It only works in full-screen mode (F2 -> Game Options -> Play in Full Screen).

Also, the right mouse button recenters the virtual joystick.