Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

sun positioning and size in 1.71

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I already had a suspicion that visible size of the sun was related to its position on entering the system. When I saw a small sun, is was always visible close to the planet. Today i jumped into a system were the sun lay directly behind the planet. I had to fly a little to get a view on it. (Onsoor in Galaxy 5)

It was as I thought: This was the smallest sun I saw so far. When flying towards it, it already mass locked when the sun was not much bigger that the targeting cross-hairs. Flying further until the altitude came into red, the sun still only filled 1/3 of the diameter of my screen.

So the sun showing to small on some machines (only mac G3 ??) must have to do something with the coordinates it is placed at.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

A saved game at any world showing this sort of problem would be helpful.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@Ahruman: Just have a look at the screenshots I posted above. Those are all planets within one jump from Lave, so you don't need a save-game. Just jump to Orerve, where the sun is behind the planet. Already in the screenshots you see that it's the smallest sun of them all. (Although in the screenshot of Zamaes (Galaxy 3) it's even more extreme.)

And as for the effect with the seemingly early mass-lock: Have a look at my screenshots in the first page of this thread. That's exactly the behaviour I documented there.

@Eric: It is not related to G3 Macs. I have posted my system specs above. I have a MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo 2GHz, and I seem to have the most extreme examples.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
so you don't need a save-game
I think its a matter of replicating the exact circumstances that you have, since some info in the savegame can hint you in the correct direction.

This was the case for LBs Assasins, that provided me with the ability to recreate the exact Circumstance for when, changing Planet info caused a bug on Windows systems... at the time he/we didnt know changeing planet info would do that... but way to much explaining would be required to make you completely understand what happend back then..

Yeah this was an OXP, but a save-game is allways usefull because there just might be something you may have over-looked..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
@Eric: It is not related to G3 Macs. I have posted my system specs above. I have a MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo 2GHz, and I seem to have the most extreme examples.
I don't know it your example is the most extreme. Try Onoor in Galaxy 5. Here the sun-planet-witchpoint lie almost in a straight line. When you launch from that station, the sun is no bigger than other stars at the sky.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@Eric: What I meant with "most extreme" is that for Ahruman the whole effect does not seem to be on the same scale.

@Frame: The above screenshots of Lave and surroundings were produced with a fresh Jameson and without OXPs. (I wrote that in the post!) So there is no additional info.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
@Eric: What I meant with "most extreme" is that for Ahruman the whole effect does not seem to be on the same scale.

@Frame: The above screenshots of Lave and surroundings were produced with a fresh Jameson and without OXPs. (I wrote that in the post!) So there is no additional info.
Well i can now confirm that the windows version suffers from the same bug, i just saw the sun shrink and then grow, when i randomly looked to my right.. after having installed the GRS teaser.. dont think the teaser has anything todo with it, i jump into the Ritilia system galaxy 1 near lave a couple of jumps away..

since I now suffer from the same bug... im going to track what triggers it exactly..

Will report back asap

Edit 1:

It seems it has something todo with how far offcenter on the screen the sun is... it shrinks until it reaches the center of the screen while im midway beetween the planet and the sun, and not flying towards any of them... when its passed or near entering center it starts to grow again....

This is my starboard and port view, where it is doing this...

And mind this is on Windows 32bit Vista intel P4, not any mac...

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric has helpfully provided a saved game demonstrating an extreme case of the problem, and what do you know? It helped me to locate the problem almost immediately. I can confirm that it also affects wormholes and q-mine blasts, and it should be fixed this weekend. (The effect is purely visual; all the objects are the size they should be as far as the game is concerned.)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

*Snickers* :wink:
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hooray! All shall be well. And I'm not losing my mind! Well, not in this instance, anyway.