Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Reference Sheet

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Oolite RS - 1.73

Post by KZ9999 »

Ok Folks just an update on the RS pdf.

I need just two more things and it's finished.
1) Can someone give me the length x width x height of the Escape Pod.
2) Can someone supply me with an image of the Quirium Cascade Mine, even if it's a screen shot.

Once I've got those, it's finished!

So can someone help me out here, please :(
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Oolite RS - 1.73

Post by JensAyton »

KZ9999 wrote:
1) Can someone give me the length x width x height of the Escape Pod.
It claims to be 7.165 × 6.410 × 6.188 m.
2) Can someone supply me with an image of the Quirium Cascade Mine, even if it's a screen shot.
I’ll try to remember to redo it without the bits of axes tomorrow. :-)

Edit: fixed link.
Last edited by JensAyton on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Scared me there - fingers reached towards i...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Bits of axes? Isn't it powerful enough already? What next - fractions of spearheads, smidgins of warclubs????
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yeah, what differences do the axes make in its destructive power?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow, The reference sheet gets really comprehensive! Good work.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly

Post by KZ9999 »

Perhaps those axis heads are spikes so that the mine can impale a ship. There's no way you can escape if it's stuck to your hull. :lol:
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Great job, KZ999!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Without spikes ...

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Some more typos (I think I missed some of these earlier, for which my apologies!). I've also suggested a few rewordings, mostly on page 2 (shields, laser temperature, altitude, missiles, energy banks).

Page header
Oolite is inspired by Elite computer game series, originally created by Ian Bell and David Braben. --> Oolite is inspired by the Elite computer game series, originally created by Ian Bell and David Braben.

Page 1

Flight Controls
Galactic hyperspace Jump --> Galactic Hyperspace Jump

Key & Notes:
1) The key cycles through the extremal views of your craft that are available --> The key cycles through the available external views of your craft.

9) Certain OPX’s will add extra types of self-guiding weapons to Oolite. --> Certain OPXs will add extra types of self-guiding weapons to Oolite.

Space Compass Icons
Active Target --> Active target

Additional compass targets may become available with the installation of OXPs’. --> Additional compass targets may become available with the installation of OXPs.

Page 2

Shields
Smaller the bar the less you have. When there Is no bar, then an hit on that half of the ship will damage it. --> The smaller the bar, the weaker the shield. Hits which penetrate a shield may damage or destroy equipment or cargo.

Fuel
This is how much witchspace fuel the ship has in it’s tank. --> This is how much witchspace fuel the ship has in its tank.

Cabin Temperature
This gauge shows how much heat the ship is subjected too. -->This gauge shows how much heat the ship is subjected to.

Laser Temperature
The laser of the current view heat level is shown by this gauge The hotter the laser gets, the slower it fires, until it has to shut down from excess heat... --> Displays the heat level of the active laser. Continuous fire raises the laser temperature. An overheated laser will shut down and must be allowed to cool before it will fire again.

Altitude
Altitude is shown so that a commander knows how close the ship is to a planet or sun. Fly too close and the ship will be destroyed --> Shows the proximity of a nearby planet or sun. Fly too close and the ship will be destroyed.

Missiles
These icons shows what types (icon shape), number you have left (filled outlines) and which one is selected (yellow border.) If a ship is targeted, a red box and target id replaces the icons. When the missile has been locked on to the target, it’s icon turns red. --> These icons show what types of missiles, and how many, you are carrying, and which one is active (yellow border). When the missile has been locked on to the target, its icon turns red.

Fuel Scoop
The Fuel Scoop icon shows when one is fitted tot the ship. --> The Fuel Scoop icon shows when one is fitted to the ship.

IFF Scanner Grid
IFF Scanner Grid shows relative positions of all object within scanner range of the ship. --> The IFF Scanner Grid shows the relative positions of all objects within scanner range of the ship.

Each object is represented by a colour coded flag and pole. --> Each object is represented by a colour-coded flag and pole.

Station Aegis
Station Aegis is the area which the GCW station’s vipers will provide protection to your ship. --> The Station Aegis is the area in which the GCW station’s vipers will provide protection to your ship.

Speed
This is a percentage gauge of how fast the ship is travelling relative to it’s top speed --> This is a percentage gauge of how fast the ship is travelling relative to its top speed

Scanner Zoom
Scanner Zoom ratio displays how much the magnification of the display. --> Scanner Zoom ratio displays the magnification of the display.

Space Compass
The Space Compass show the direction of the target relative to the direction of the ship. --> The Space Compass shows the direction of the target relative to the direction of the ship.

Energy Banks
Energy Banks metres of how much energy you have to use. Smaller the bar, the less energy you have to power your systems. --> Indicates how much energy is available for your shields and systems. The smaller the bar, the less energy you have.

Page 3

Career Choices
Passenger Service
With a passenger berth fitted you take a traveller from point A to B for profit. --> With a passenger berth fitted you take a traveller from point A to point B for profit.

Bounty Hunting
Recommend minimum of: Beam Laser, ECM, Fuel Scoop and Shield Booster to fitted to the ship before attempting this profession. --> Recommend minimum of: Beam Laser, ECM, Fuel Scoop and Shield Booster to be fitted to the ship before attempting this profession.

Game Options
Play in Strict Mode
Will turn off any OXP’s installed for the duration of the game session. --> Will turn off any OXPs installed for the duration of the game session.

Page 4

These ships are unavailable for purchase in the game. Installing an OXP’s may make these ship available. --> These ships are unavailable for purchase in the game. Installing some OXPs may make these ship available.

Page 5

Notes
Ships which are unavailable for purchase at the GCW station shipyards for the following reasons: --> Ships may be unavailable for purchase at GCW station shipyards for the following reasons:

Vessels which are no longer in production. --> The vessel is no longer in production.

Ships of races/cultures outside of the Galactic Cooperative of Worlds. --> The ship is built by a race or culture outside of the Galactic Cooperative of Worlds.

Higher the charging number the faster the recharging rate. --> The higher the charging number the faster the recharging rate.
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly

Just about to stick a fork in it.

Post by KZ9999 »

Another quick up date on the revised referance sheets.

I've finished correcting the text and adding/creating the graphics. Open Office is generating a perfect PDF which is currently sitting here...
http://terrastorage.ath.cx/Marmagka/qhC ... eRS173.pdf

Now for the difficult part, porting it over to Microsoft Office. I generally don't have an issue with MS software, but Office has always been pain. :x I'm going to have to rebuild the document from scratch because Office gets so prissy over any file it didn't create (including ones from previous versions of Office. :evil: )

When it's finished I'll upload it to the command team for their use and stick the source material on a file site so anyone can use it. In that vain can anyone recommend a long term file storage site. I do have web space, but that's currently empty as I get ready my writing and card/dice game projects website.

Last but not least, Many thanks to the commanders for their error catching and technical support, especially you Disembodied. I've noted your assistance as the editor on the sheets as a thank you.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi KZ9999, thanks. Only a few more typos! (and one or two rewording suggestions).

Page 2

Shields
The front (FWD) and rear (AFT) shields strength. -->
The front (FWD) and rear (AFT) shield strength.

The as the shields become weaker, the more likely a hit may penetrate it. -->
As the shields become weaker, the bars become shorter.

Any penetration will result inenergy drain, along with the risk of equipment damage and the destruction of cargo. -->
Hits which penetrate a shield will deplete the energy banks, and may damage or destroy equipment and cargo.

Laser Temperature
Display the heat level of the active laser. -->
Displays the heat level of the active laser.

Continuous fire raises the later temperature. -->
Continuous fire raises the laser temperature.

Altitude
Show the proximity of a nearby planet or sun. -->
Shows the proximity of a nearby planet or sun.

Fly too close and the ship will be destroyed -->
Fly too close and the ship will be destroyed.
(missing full stop)

Station Aegis
Station Aegis is the area of space around the GCW station where it’s vipers will provide protection to your ship. -->
Station Aegis is the area of space around the GCW station where its vipers will provide protection to your ship.

Fuel Scoop
The Fuel Scoop icon will show when one is fitted to the ship. -->
The Fuel Scoop icon is displayed when one is fitted to the ship.

Scanner Zoom
Scanner Zoom ratio displays the magnification of the display. -->
Scanner Zoom ratio displays the magnification of the scanner.

Speed
This is a percentage gauge showing how fast the ship is travelling relative to it’s maximum speed. -->
This is a percentage gauge showing how fast the ship is travelling relative to its maximum speed.

Energy Banks
The multiple metres of the Energy Banks -->
The multiple meters of the Energy Banks

Page 3

Commodities Guide
Dealing in these commodities is illegal in all GCW stations. Doing so will result in changes to your legal status. -->
Exporting these commodities from any GCW station is illegal. Doing so will result in changes to your legal status.
(you can bring them in, but you can't take them out)

Equipment Guide
Should "Twin Plasma Cannon" be listed? I've never seen these for sale in the basic game. It might also be worth noting that "OXPs may add extra equipment to install. See the OXP read-me for more information." (as per "Missiles", p2)

Career Choices
Bounty Hunting
Recommend minimum of: Beam Laser, ECM, Fuel Scoop and Shield Booster to fitted to the ship before attempting this profession. -->
Recommend minimum of: Beam Laser, ECM, Fuel Scoop and Shield Booster to be fitted to the ship before attempting this profession.

Game Options
Play In Strict Mode
Will turn off any Oolite eXtension Packs -->
Will turn off any Oolite eXpansion Packs

Page 5
Notes
Ships which are unavailable for purchase at the GCW station shipyards for the following reasons: -->
Some ships are unavailable for purchase at the GCW station shipyards for the following reasons:

GCW station shipyards only deal in ships fitted with a hyperspace jump drives. -->
GCW station shipyards only deal in ships fitted with hyperspace jump drives.

Designs which are no longer in production. -->
The model is no longer in production.

Ships designs constructed by races/cultures outside of the Galactic Cooperative of Worlds. -->
The ship is constructed by a race or culture outside the Galactic Cooperative of Worlds.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Should page 2, Fuel, not read:

how much you need to be able to make the jump.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Bugger! Missed that one. :oops:
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly

Oolite Referance Sheets, final version

Post by KZ9999 »

Ok Folks for your reading pleasure I am proud to present the Oolite Reference Sheets, final version.

After having to muscle Microsoft Word 2007 in to accepting the original files. (Not just turning the air blue,but right up to the Ultraviolet, in the process.) I've taken the opportunity to do a bit of a design re jig of the earlier version and smooth out some of the kinks. On the down side, the file now 970 Kb in size because I've had to use png's instead of vector files for the art. Still, only a <50% size increase for the additional information is a good trade off.

Once again Disembodied, thanks for all the help in bug stomping, plus the other checker.

Find the file here: http://terrastorage.ath.cx/Marmagka/C53 ... S_1_73.pdf

Now maybe I can get back to actually playing the game for a while :D