Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What else did we play when Elite was king?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: What else did we play when Elite was king?

Post by Getafix »

ZX Spectrum +2: Hobbit, Bruce Lee, Antiriad, Commando, Green Beret, Starstrike II
On Amiga 2000HD: Another World (it took me 8hrs of continuous gameplay but these were the best gameplay hours I ever had... what a trip!), Curse of Enchantia, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, Operation Stealth.

...sigh...
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I didn't.
When I first came across Elite is was not a comercial game.
I was watching a tech playing it in our workshop on the company computer during lunch.
I asked if I could have a go.
The coming weekend I borrowed the computer (BBC micro) the disc drive (they were seperate stuff and micro would take a tape drive too) and the 3.5 inch not so floppy disc.
I played Friday night through Saturday and Sunday, Nope no sleep. Packed it up early Monday morning to take back.
Ah.. to have that energy where a lost weekend is nothing.
Don't remember what level I got to then.
Average seem to come to mind.
First computer game I didn't feed money into like a slot machine in an arcade. Though never actualy played them past first 10 pence.
Arg.. Memory floods, there were games in the pub set into the table, but they were "platform games"

Gave up Elite when I became Elite and showed my brothers that were more into computer games than me.
Never looked again till younger brother sent e-mail with proviso
"Don't get lost in this as you did with Elite"
A link to Oolit 1.65 or was it 62? long star jumps between.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Spectrum Elite was my first foray into the Elite universe. Alongside that were:

F-19 Stealth Fighter (fond memories of my friend flying the plane and me doing all the keyboard work. Flipping to reverse target cam and watching the F-19 fly overhead with the hushed call of "WHO IS THE MYSTERY PILOT???" was the highlight of every mission...
Various other MicroProse military games: M1 Tank Platoon and Airborne Ranger being the most popular
Starglider 2: I actually found my SG2 game documentation last week. No disk, sadly.
Carrier Command: I built a model of the ACC Epsilon and a Manta out of cereal boxes.
Rebelstar Raiders: the only other game to have Dave Hughes Fan Fiction attached ;-)

And then we moved on to the Amiga. Which is another story...
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I was just looking to see if I have the Starglider 2 CD-ROM (apparently not, I think I gave it to a charity shop) and found another game I'd forgotten - Advanced Dungeons & Ddragons Dragonstrike Dragonlance Combat Simulator, a dragon riding flight simulator. I remember it as being a bit naff, but since it's on 5.25" floppies I don't think I'll ever be able to play it again to find out!

The minimum system specification is interesting - "recommended for 6MHz AT or faster", looks like it supported the ADlib sound card and CGA through VGA graphics.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

I saw Elite play in Vegas once! Wait. Wrong King.

When Elite was new-ish I had the misfortune to own one of the very few computers that /didn't/ get an Elite port as far as I'm aware, a TI99 4-A. Still, it wasn't without some consolations, because I got to play Tunnels of Doom, which was one of the best commercial Roguelikes ever developed; first-person mazes, customizable characters, a construction set to make your own scenarios... all pretty good stuff for the day!

Elite has left the building.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.