Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite consumes all memory

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

So what exactly was it screaming about? Meaningful error reports have a higher chance of getting you meaningful answers. ;-)
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

screaming

Post by chomann »

the only thing is "screams" for is the libjs.so, and thats all ,even after getting the libjs.so it still "screams" for it. and since it won't load with this error I cant even get version 1.7 to initiate. And as for the error report with version 1.65 it is the all too common memory leak that over time consumes all memory.
"To boldly go where no man has gone before, and drop off my Trumbles." ~ Ashby
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

error

Post by chomann »

heres my error

or 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

/usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite: error while loading shared libraries: libjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite: error while loading shared libraries: libjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Are you running Ubuntu Hardy? Do you have samba installed? Have a look here for people reporting a problem similar to yours:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/211966
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=878321

There are a few solution mentioned therein. Maybe one of them works also for you. I am not so sure that the problem you are facing is an Oolite related one.
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

okso

Post by chomann »

I am running hardy and I do have the samba common installed, but i still have the error with oolite concerning the libjs.so library. when i try to run oolite 1.7 nothing happens at all, except that error regarding the libjs.so library in terminal... and installing th elibrary doesnt fix it
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

If libjs can't be found after installing it, then something might have gone wrong with its installation. In any case, be aware that Oolite uses a custom-built version of libjs.so. Manually installing vanilla libjs will probably not do much good. I would recommend you follow the exact build steps from this sticky thread and try to build from source. We know that this procedure works and gives you the bonus of being able to run the yet unreleased, still under development, v1.72.

Also, just noting, not sure if it makes any difference: It looks like you have installed Oolite under /usr/lib. Any particular reason for this? Seems a bit odd to me.
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

install location

Post by chomann »

actually installing under usr/lib is where the autopackage was set to install to, same with the repositories on 1.65... so i really thought that was norm but ill give the compiling from source a go
thnks all
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

another_commander wrote:
and gives you the bonus of being able to run the yet unreleased, still under development, v1.72.
I thought I'd find a quieter part of the board to ask...........are we aproaching an MNR soon, I've gone through 3 keyboards salivating!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

TGHC wrote:
I thought I'd find a quieter part of the board to ask...........are we aproaching an MNR soon, I've gone through 3 keyboards salivating!
What gives you the impression that any part of this board could be called 'quiet' (except for the fact that the whole board (as we all know, the friendliest this side of Riedquat) is quite, well, quiet)? :wink:

And although I am by far not in a position to speak for the developers, it seems to me that there are still some things in the making, or being tidied up for the next release.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I only asked since someone (no names no pack drill) mentioned 1.73!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

TGHC wrote:
I only asked since someone (no names no pack drill) mentioned 1.73!
...which only means 'post-1.72', in order to reduce our expectations for a quick implementation of whatever-was-requested.

And 'post-1.72' of course means even-after-a-date-that-is-not-yet-known-but-lies-itself-in-a-more-or-less-distant-future-anyway. :roll:
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

success

Post by chomann »

I have finally gotten 1.7 up and running thank you to everyone for the help, this has become my favorite bulletin. Now my quest for knowledge is leading me to oxp's!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Not sure what you mean specifically with 'leading me to OXPs'? What they are? Where to find them? How to write them?

Anyway, please start with the Oolite-part of the Elite Wiki. Very good starting points are the Oolite Instruction Manual, and of course the FAQs. There is also a list of all OXPs together with a short description and a link to either an informative Wiki-page or directly to a download location. For a guide of how to write OXPs I would suggest you start with the links provided in the 'Writing OXPs'-section of the FAQ-page. Have fun! :)

Oh, and by the way, to avoid confusion: There is no Oolite 1.7, and there never was. Oolite versions are numbered with two-digit-numbers after the preceeding '1.' If a patch to a version becomes necessary--not big enough to be numbered as the next version--there is another dot attached, followed by another digit. I guess you have now the latest version up and running, which is 1.71.2 (which is the second patch to version 1.71). Things are much easier when we all here know what we are talking about.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
Things are much easier when we all here know what we are talking about.
I nearly wet my pants then!