Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have got to the bottom of the distance issue.

I was using the accurate distance but Oolite for legacy reasons from Elite was using the following:

Code: Select all

OOINLINE double distanceBetweenPlanetPositions ( int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2)
{
	int dx = x1 - x2;
	int dy = (y1 - y2)/2;
	int dist = sqrtf(dx*dx + dy*dy); // here's where the rounding errors come in!
	return 0.4 * dist;
}
Notice there are two places where there is rounding down, not one: after the divide by 2 for the "dy" calculations and after the square-rooting.

I have incorporated this into my XSLT script and here is a corrected version of the map:

GALAXY 6 (v5)

I have applied a few Unix commands to do a comparison between version 4 and 5 and found that no routes were removed (unsurprisingly) and 28 new ones have been added. Here is the list of new routes:

BEBIDISO -> ORXETE
BEBIDISO -> SOINISAT
ARARON -> ORRIA
LEMAAR -> QUTEER
ONENTE -> LAESQU
ACETEAT -> LAESQU
ACETEAT -> ERCEA
ATEN -> DIATQUOR
LERELA -> ZAUSRI
ARENDI -> EDARANIS
LELALE -> XEBEAZA
AQUTEBI -> LEENLAES
ZAESISMA -> SOZALA
ANARE -> TEESSO
ANARE -> VECEISED
MAINON -> DIERLABE
QUTECETE -> BIQULE
ESGELAGE -> ERCEA
ORTEVE -> VEXEINCE
ESBILEAT -> ANENER
TIESSOUS -> EDLA
MAMAUS -> ORRIASO
RIESONSO -> GEARGE
ZARIENLA -> LEORQU
RABI -> RESOINXE
XEISANAN -> ORATEDGE
SOGEES -> ERBERAOR
INREARBI -> RIBIGEUS

To show these routes clearly here is a version of the map where the new routes are in a slightly thicker yellow dashed line:

GALAXY 6 (v5 - new routes)

@Nemoricus: could you re-examine the map to see it this effects any of trade routes you put in or gives new possibilities?

Also I should now be able to put the "Anener Collective" back to the original size and shape I had it at.

Interestingly the world Leera which according to the wiki has a hub count of 17 still has the hub count of 15 which implies the wiki is definitely wrong in places (unless there is something else that I haven't taken into account).
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Most of the new connections don't affect any of the routes.

However, in the epic route, Resoinxe should connect to Rabi, bypassing Sogees. I'll let you know if I find anything else.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have updated Galaxy 6:

GALAXY 6 (v6)

Trade Route 2 adjusted and I have put the Anener Collective back as it used to be.

I would like to put this map to bed so could those wanting to suggest better names for the regions or add or alter anything please get let me know.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Looks good to me.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

PhantorGorth wrote:
I have updated Galaxy 6:

GALAXY 6 (v6)

Trade Route 2 adjusted and I have put the Anener Collective back as it used to be.

I would like to put this map to bed so could those wanting to suggest better names for the regions or add or alter anything please get let me know.
Over use of the word "Belt" would be my major concern - especially for regions that aren't "belts" but huge great splodges. (conglomerate, cooperative, empire, dominion, etc...)

Subtle things like "The Steel Alliance" - implies an alliance of steel manufacturers but "Alliance of Steel" has many more conitations - solidity, strength, etc.

I think it would be "The Bread Basket" rather than just "Bread Basket"

Just my 0.02Cr

DH
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

@DaddyHoggy: Your suggestions sound great. I agree with your point. The Western Industrial Belt really isn't a belt. I would say that the Eastern Industrial Belt is the only one that qualifies.

Given that more people have expressed the preference (that sounds like a cat food commercial) not to have cardinal directions used in names, as they really don't apply well in 3D space, I am looking for alternative names. Five of the regions I have used a high tech/important world in the region to name it but if I continue to do that then it gets too over used. If some of these are organisation based then we need some thing more organisation like. E.g. Unified Industrial Conglomerate or Agrico Corporation.

Any suggestions?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

page 1 has some unused ones.

far, near. (in relation to the centre and galcorp.

caudal d. — towards the tail end of the body.
cranial d. — towards the head end of the body.
distal d. — distant from the long axis of the body.
dorsal d. — 1. the surface directed towards the back or spine.
— 2. the extensor surface of the distal limbs.
lateral d. — the surface directed away from the median plane.
medial d. — towards the median plane (a vertical plane passing through the body from nose tip to tail tip).
palmar d. — the flexor aspect of the foot, below the carpus, the surface directed towards the ground.
plantar d. — below the tarsus, the surface directed towards the ground.
proximal d. — closer to the long axis of the body.
rostral d. — towards the head or mouth.
ventral d. — the surface directed towards the belly or ground.

A particular portion of space chosen for something: location, locus, point, spot. See place.

Given to or marked by unrestrained abundance: extravagant, exuberant, lavish, luxuriant, opulent, prodigal, profuse, riotous, superabundant. See big/small/amount, excess/insufficiency/enough.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

@ClymAngus: Not quite sure what to do with that. Those adjectives are used to describe positions on a animal. There has to be a head and tail concept for that to work. The only fixed place (direction of the head?) is the galaxy centre which can really only be defined for Galaxy 1 (which is far to the left of that map) but only if you accept FFE galaxy layout. My species map defines that all the galaxies are orientated the same way but thats my idea and shouldn't be forced on anybody.

Could you give an example of how you suggest using those adjectives?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

If you're not going to use cardinal directions then it would be a good idea to put some sort of "compass" or other markings on the map to show the directions, for ease of use. People (like me, anyway) will want to be able to describe where a particular planet or area is on the map: using "east", "west", "north" and "south" for "right", "left", "up" and "down" sounds better, but if they're not popular we need some obvious replacement. If you put a small compass on the map which used, say, "spinward", "antispinward", "centre" and "rimward" – or you wrote these at the left, right, top and bottom edges of the map, they'd be easy to understand. It's arbitrary anyway, but it would mean you could tell someone to look in a particular region for e.g. the Constrictor. "Start your hunt in the centre-spinward area of Galaxy 2".
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Looking at the approximate positions of real stars at marked on the FE2 map and comparing them to position on a real night sky atlas I am confidently able to say that 90 degrees Galactic Longitude is towards the top of Galaxy 1. As Sol is moving around the milky way in the direction of 90 degrees Galactic Longitude, along with the majority of stars in galactic neighbourhood, spinward therefore must be up. (This also means Galactic North points into the map and Virgo Cluster of Galaxies would be below the map too)
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have increased the size of the page slightly to accommodate the adding of the direction names to the edges of the grid. Further I have renamed some of the regions. There are also some other minor changes due to the page size increase. Could people let me know what they think.

GALAXY 6 (v7)
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Everything looks good to me.

If no one else has anything else to add, I'd say that this map is done.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nemoricus wrote:

:roll: Give us a chance - this was posted late in the evening!

OK, minor quibbles - with the expansion of the map to include the cardinal directions (good) - I don't like the way some of the regions flood over this outer text especially when you consider how neatly you follow the virtual contours of some systems/regions - the top centre zone looks a bit 'vaguely here' .

Other than the wild colonies (one confederate (Sheriff?) trying to law-enforce three anarchies - oxp rich pickings and a short story begging to be written) which I agree should be red - the other two non-agri or non-industrial zones shouldn't be two different colours unless you specifically have a reason and/or include them in the legend/key.
Selezen wrote:
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

My apologies. I'm just eager to move on to the next map.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nemoricus wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

My apologies. I'm just eager to move on to the next map.
More haste, less speed.

Better to be right now then revisit a dozen times in the future to tweak and fix.
Selezen wrote: