More details in this thread.

Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Is it Rotwang, from the 1927 movie Metropolis?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Is it Rotwang, from the 1927 movie Metropolis?
And the winner of the 4th Obscure German Science Fiction contest is ... Diziet Sma! Congratulations and I am happy that I can just lean back now and wait for you to come up with a challenge. :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks, Commander. Funnily enough, it was pretty much the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post. :D

So, here we go:

Considered to be one of the most enigmatic American sci-fi authors of the mid-20th century, he was highly regarded, but not well known. He once informed his editor that he was not born into our world, but had arrived here from a parallel timeline.

Name the author.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

R A Lafferty? His work is highly regarded, but not tremendously well-known ... I don't know if he ever claimed to be from a parallel timeline, though!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nope.. R A Lafferty was nowhere near as enigmatic as the person in question..
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I guess I need to wait for the healthcare discussion to die down before anyone takes a crack at my challenge.. :? :?:

Or is the hint (yes, there is one buried in my challenge) too obscure? :mrgreen:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Um ... it's too obscure for me. The only possible name that comes to mind is "Kilgore Trout". Although, maybe: Theodore Sturgeon?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Okay.. some more..

Even the circumstances of his tragic death in the early '60s are clouded by confusion and mystery, as was his life. In fact, nobody even knows the exact date of his death.

He began his sci-fi career writing for Astounding Science Fiction in the late '40s, under the legendary John W. Campbell. He was friends with Lester del Rey. Fletcher Pratt. Robert Heinlein and L. Sprague de Camp. Jerry Pournelle believes that had he lived another decade he would have been ranked among the top echelon of SF writers, along with Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov and Bradbury.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Considered to be one of the most enigmatic American sci-fi authors of the mid-20th century, he was highly regarded, but not well known. He once informed his editor that he was not born into our world, but had arrived here from a parallel timeline.

Name the author.
Sounds like something Philip K. Dick would say... ;) Unfortunately he's had more film adaptations than just about any other SF author, which kind of disqualifies him on 'not well known' grounds... Not to mention that his death is pretty well documented & 2 decades later! :P
Last edited by Kaks on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

And Dick died in 1982, which definitely doesn't qualify for "early '60s". :wink:
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:D details, just details! Any self-respecting dimension hopper knows how to skip decades anyway! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Kaks wrote:
:D details, just details! Any self-respecting dimension hopper knows how to skip decades anyway! :D
Well, I don't know if Philip K. Dick could/can time/dimension jump, but it's not him, anyway... :lol:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I think I might have got him: is it H Beam Piper?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Rats!!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Disembodied wrote:
I think I might have got him: is it H Beam Piper?
Yes!! We have a winner! Congratulations, Disembodied!

Sounds as if you got pipped at the post, El Viejo..

Link to online excerpts from John F. Carr's biography on H. Beam Piper
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.