Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

ClymAngus wrote:
Wow! This stuff is programming hop scotch isn't it? 2 heffing huge bits of code (admittedly you don't tamper with one because that's all your style sheet template things) but the other 1billion and one ways so screw up!
You don't tamper with either bits of code. There are two stylesheet/templates/scripts 1) Map_Data.xsl that converts the wiki page into a XML data file and 2) Map.xsl that converts the XML data file into an SVG map document. You only edit the XML data file. You don't even have to edit the XML data file that much to get a decent map out it. The default setting are good enough for most things. In the very long email I sent you I described nearly all the setting so I could be as complete as possible you don't need to change any of the defaults unless it doesn't look good. I do have to admit the legend stuff really needs some diagrams to explain things better. You can (if you don't care about moving the overlapping worlds apart) knock a map out in a couple of minutes if you so wish.
Oh out of interest Phara, is it easy to import vector objects? I tend to be a much better drawer than I am programmer when it comes to regions. If I could export a vector object (or just get the code for it up) It might help the look of those free hand bits. It looks like we're going to have very few ovals and a lot of wibbly lines here. What do you think?
Yes it is easy. I told you how to do that in Step 2 of the instructions in the bit about "additional-svg". I have just checked and Adobe Illustrator 9.0 appears to support SVG so follow the instructions I gave but where I refer to Inkscape just substitute Illustrator. Obviously I haven't tried out the instructions using Illustrator but I can't see too many issues. (Ok, I doubt you have the option to save as "Plain SVG" but just as SVG will do; In Inkscape "Plain SVG" option cuts out the attributes and values used exclusively by Inkscape and are therefore not actual true SVG but these would be ignored by other SVG programs and renderers anyway.)

So the method boils down to create the basic SVG map. Open it in Illustrator. Group everything. Draw your regions stuff. Group all the newly drawn bits. Delete the initially grouped maps part to leave the newly drawn bits only. Save as SVG. Open in a text editor. Copy everything inside the <svg> to </svg> tags (excluding those tags). Open the XML data file in the text editor. Inside the <map-data> to </map-data> tags (but not inside anything else within it) add an <additional-svg name="put_name_of_region_here"> </additional-svg> pair of tags and paste inside the stuff just copied into the clipboard. Now add a "layer" element to the "draw-priority" element like this: <layer type="additional-svg">put_name_of_region_here</layer>. (Where in the "draw-priority" element depends on which order you want things drawn.) Job done.
You can do the all regions as one or you could do each separately and put each in a different "additional-svg" elements. The choice is yours.

Phantor Gorth
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

ClymAngus wrote:
But it doesn't matter! Because when we're done with a quick change of code you can make every single area on every single map shocking pink! or insane puce! Power to the people! Booya!
Changing any of the defaults doesn't effect the shape, size, position or colour of the regions stuff. To edit that you either have to use a program like Inkscape or Illustrator on the final SVG map or edit the SVG in the appropriate "additional-svg" entry in the XML data file. Thsi is because those additional-svg entries get copied as is into the final SVG map.

Phantor Gorth
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Disembodied wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
@DaddyHoggy no need to worry on that score. I actually find your take on my finds very interesting. I am not sure now it would have come about in this galaxy but not in others, i.e. what was the pressure to form such alliances/organisations, but I will think on that. But I will say that such large scale activities would imply large scale plans. (e.g. this galaxy is the major production zone for producing military hardware for the war against the Thargoids.)

Phantor Gorth
How about an outbreak of sanity and co-operation in the face of a steady flow of refugees from the more hectic sectors upstream?
I doubt an influx of refugees would cause organisation on this scale. It has to be some major project I would have thought.

Phantor Gorth
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Real-world experience would suggest large influxes of refugees create large headaches, not organisation/cooperation...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Updated version of the basic Galaxy 6 map where I have fixed the positions of the remaining overlapping systems:

GALAXY 6

Also here is the updated version of my regioned (is that a word? :? ) version. Again I have updated the overlapping systems and added a couple of more regions and toned down the region shading:

GALAXY 6 MODIFIED

Do people like the regions I have put in? Are the names good? Routes anyone?

Phantor Gorth
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Real-world experience would suggest large influxes of refugees create large headaches, not organisation/cooperation...
True, but one can always hope!

Perhaps more realistically, there are a number of variously sinister and powerful organisations in galaxy seven ... maybe the co-ordination visible in galaxy 6 feeds into one or more of those?
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Well, I've got two routes for you. One is a short thing, the other is very long indeed.

Start in the center of the western edge of the map: Atanorbi, Oratedge, Bierbe, Oresmaa, Esteerve, Lerela, Esausle, Xeesqu.

Now for the epic one:

Zalaarce, Teteid, Somaxe, Rabi, Sogees, Resoinxe, Orriaso, Arente, Leonus, Onteer, Ceisce, Celaan, Ceenrive, Bearrabe, Atibius, Labeis, Qubele, Argean, Anenbi, Orteve, Arian, Latius.

As a side note, this galaxy is very annoying to find routes for. The planets seem very segregated by type and there's a number of anarchy/feudal worlds that block other routes.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have added Nemoricus's routes to the map.

As no-one has had ago a go at me for my regions I am going to include them in the official draft version so we don't have two versions on the go. If people want me take them out or modify them or their names just let me know.

GALAXY 6 (v2)

Phantor Gorth
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I've found another long route.

Starting at the end of my first route: Mateus, Areis, Bebidiso, Leera, Rirelaxe, Orxete, Leusar, Enveat, Aceteat, Ormadi, Araron, Edla, Usraar, Entere, Dixetiso, Ticea, Sogees. It also doubles as a fork of my second route.

That's it for routes, I suppose. This map is very segregated between industrial and agricultural worlds and it's difficult to find routes because of this.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Added new route:

GALAXY 6 (v3)

Phantor Gorth
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Here is an alternative to the middle section of Nemoricus's Trade Route 2 (We need better names for these routes by the way) -> Orriaso, Raceed, Eraso, Erbebeti, Qubiisis, Anares, Vereinat, Isata, Tiintele, Enqura, Enbece, Ismaarbe, Relequar, Verige, Artibius. This makes it even more epic.

Can't find much in the east of the map.

Phantor Gorth
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Can't find much in the east of the map.Phantor Gorth
Biqule, Lemaar, Quteer and Zainer (all human)

The Wild Colonies?
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

gogz69 wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
Can't find much in the east of the map.Phantor Gorth
Biqule, Lemaar, Quteer and Zainer (all human)

The Wild Colonies?
I can go with that. But how about the name "Wild Wild East" though :D?

Phantor Gorth
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Disembodied wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
True, but one can always hope!
Also depends on the refugees. I actually quite like Disembodied's idea. Let me explain:

Both Galaxy 4 and 5 are more playgrounds for adventurous characters than the previous galaxies, if I may put it that way. You could also say that they are dangerous places. Therefore the conclusion is not far that it is the non-adventurous, the simple, down-to-earth characters, who need security and a calculable future in order to achieve something with hard work, who would emigrate to a higher galaxy. And the type easily exists in agricultural as well as in industrial worlds. I guess there are quite a lot of them, especially as the emigrate from not one, but two galaxies.

Now the only thing we need to assume is that the inhabitants and governments of Galaxy 6 for a certain time in history had an open-minded and welcoming attitude towards refugees (specifically to the type of refugees mentioned above). Then it is likely that the newcomers—together with their indigenous counterparts, because the type exists in every galaxy—became quite a critical mass and political force in Galaxy 6. And clearly this force would be a voice for co-operation for the common good, and the best interest of everybody. Multi-planetary co-operation creates a reliable framework for the success of the type of people sketched above. Which in hindsight would prove the welcoming attitude towards the refugees to be a good decision in the first place. Which again would consolidate the political influence of the group.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I personally can't see any government reacting to refugees is such a way never mind large groups of governments, but I thought people would like to see this list which is quite enlightening:

Galaxy -- Total Population (Billions)
1 ---------- 896.4 (998.8)
2 ---------- 892.8 (995.2)
3 ---------- 895.2 (997.6)
4 ---------- 838.4 (940.8)
5 ---------- 920.0 (1022.4)
6 ---------- 910.4 (1012.8)
7 ---------- 916.8 (1019.2)
8 ---------- 897.6 (1000.0)

Phantor Gorth

Edit: 26-Feb-2013 Figures in brackets are the old figures based on my spreadsheet that had a bug in it. The bug is now fixed and new figures have been recalculated. This correction makes little impact to the pattern as the new figures are all somewhere between 10% or 11% lower than their previous amount.
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.