Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Replacing Constores with Griff Trade outposts@Griff and Doc

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Pangloss wrote:
Please, if someone has time to replace the body with concentric yellow rings, that's your project!

Here's what I have. Enough difference for it to be neon, but not enough for it to be dirty-looking.
Pangloss if I said something that offended you I am terribly sorry.
You know I do not know anything about texturing and modeling and that is the reason why I am asking from people to do things in order to help me finish that update and also assume that every change is an easy one. I am doing this upgrade for fun and for the passion I have for this game. The last thing that I want is to pressure someone. The fact that you compare what you are doing here with your job indicates that you are not enjoying it anymore and I feel very guilty for that.

You, Griff DaddyHoggy and others have helped me far beyond my expectations and I am terribly sorry if sometimes I am asking things that are very difficult in the implementation. I just feel that after all this work (yours not mine) it would be a shame if the result would not be perfect. Nobody have said that your pacman is ugly just that it does not look like a roof billboard. Also there are no deadlines here, we just enjoying ourselfs
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Aw hell, no need for apologies. Doing this is the antithesis of work. I was just getting stroppy because it's the fifth version of Pacman I have done so I equated it to the time someone wanted little changes with a job.

When we had our house built, we were frequently told how easy it was to work with us because we were precise with our wants and didn't change them once we decided. So I should be the one saying sorry!

We're striking a balance here between doing something for free and doing artwork that doesn't look cheap and tacky. I want this to look great ( hence the use of 24 bit PNGs) but I only have a few hours on weekdays to contribute.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I think I've worked out a way of adding (or more precisely subtracting) concentric rings from the pacman's body - however - I started on my main PC and had to give it up before I;d finished and transfer to my old 98SE lappy running an older version of GIMP and what I wanted to do doesn't work in this version - I will hopefully confirm (RL(TM) notwithstanding) tomorrow that what I planned to do, does in fact work as intended in the version I have on my main PC.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Oh!! the hell with the pacman roof billboard. It was my stupid idea of placing a pacman roof billboard into a station that already has a pacman adring that actually caused that discomfort to pangloss. In case that you cannot modify it if someone can create something that is valid as a roof billboard it is ok with me. It was not my intention to dictate others what to contribute so asking for something as specific as a pacman roof billboard was a huge mistake from the beginning
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

any use?
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Griff wrote:
any use?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The texture please!! pretty please...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Code: Select all

"griff_station_roof_billboard_waving_pacman" = 
   { 
   ai_type = "nullAI.plist"; 
   model = "griff_station_roof_billboard.dat"; 
   roles = "griff_station_subent"; 
   materials = 
        { 
        // Swap out texture when shaders are off 
        "griff_no_shader_drinking_spaceman.png" = { diffuse_map = "griff_no_shaders_waving_pac-man.png"; }; 
        };    
   shaders = 
    { 
        "griff_no_shader_drinking_spaceman.png" = 
        { 
            vertex_shader = "griff_station_animated.vertex"; 
            fragment_shader = "griff_station_animated_billboard.fragment"; 

textures = ("griff_waving_pac-man.png"); 
            uniforms = 
            { 
            FrameCount = { type = "float"; value = 8.0; }; 
            TimePerFrame = { type = "float"; value = 0.4; };             
                uTime = "timeElapsedSinceSpawn"; 
            }; 
        }; 
   };    
   }; 
I've already put the PNG's through the PNGcrush program using the example Ahruman gave to remove all the colour management stuff.
I put a 'pac dot' thing in his hand in the no-shaders version, just wish i thought to put one in his hand inthe animated version, he could be bouncing it in his hand instead of waving :(
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Very sweet Griff! :D
Selezen wrote:
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Griff is perfect!!
but if you can cut the black areas of the shader version more precicelly it would be even better. As you can see the black suround is highly noticable. Also if you can put pacman's legs closer to the station, if you watch it more carefully is like leviating

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Y’know, you could program the repeated frames in the shader instead of using twice as much texture memory as necessary. (A challenge!)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've updated the animation, (see post above) - i put the bouncing power-pill in!
i've got no idea how to go about programing the order of the frames so they could be played om any sequence, i suspect difficult sums might be involved!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Could the bouncing pac-dot be added in the shader??
Selezen wrote:
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Could the bouncing pac-dot be added in the shader??
I asked about animated PNGs some time ago but it's not a standard format (yet!). It would need frames like the regular version, and I think the reason we have the static image is for those that can't see the original animation.

By the way: LOVE THE NEW DESIGN.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Griff is perfect (well almost perfect). The first thing that I said when I saw the roof billboard was “Now I can die in peace"

but the more I gazed that the more I realized that something is wrong so I had to fly closer to see what is wrong

if you can see the top is like the whole billboard is brutally cut by a scissor. It is more profound in the dot. Also there is a barely noticeable red line in this area

Sorry for being such a big pain in the ass!!!!!!!!
Roof billboards are the reason that i am not going to create more constore types just variations of the excisting ones :x
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Problem is that - this is exactly how it looks in Griff's original frames - when the pac-dot reaches it's Zenith - it's "off the top" of the frame - quite clear once you've seen it - so either the ball doesn't need to rise so high or, well, actually that's it really, any extension of the path will require either some rescaling or a non-power of two sized texture...
Selezen wrote: