Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Replacing Constores with Griff Trade outposts@Griff and Doc

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

:D

Thanks to all who made this work... even if it doesn't get into the game it's made my day to see it in the screenshot! One thing, though: since the station rotates, does it matter if players come across it back-to-front? It'll come the right way round eventually.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ark wrote:

Code: Select all

[texture.load.png.warning]: ***** A PNG loading warning occurred for AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_C.oxp/Textures/yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png: Ignoring attempt to set cHRM RGB triangle with zero area
This doesn’t affect Oolite (it ignores colour management issues anyway), but of course log spam is annoying, so it should be fixed.

One way to fix it would be to use pngcrush as follows:

pngcrush -rem cHRM yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames_fixed.png
In fact, you may as well remove any other colour management information while you’re at it:

pngcrush -rem cHRM -rem gAMA -rem iCCP -rem sRGB yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames_fixed.png
Protip: everyone distributing PNGs over the interlink should have pngcrush or OptiPNG installed, and should be using them on said PNGs. Heck, install both; last time I checked OptiPNG was slightly better at reducing PNG size, but it doesn’t have as many options (like -rem above).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've noticed that when I open some of the original ship textures in GIMP I get warnings about sRGB info (i think that's what it says) - I untick lots of stuff when I save them back out and the warning does not return if I reopen my modified texture - but I will look at pngcrush as well....
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Disembodied wrote:

Thanks to all who made this work... even if it doesn't get into the game it's made my day to see it in the screenshot!
You are going to see it in the game one way or another. Trust me on that!!
Disembodied wrote:
One thing, though: since the station rotates, does it matter if players come across it back-to-front? It'll come the right way round eventually
Well that "eventually" is the problem
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I didn't like the fact that the use of a video, when tweaked to look like neon, was leaving strange color artifacts on the image. So I just cleaned it up a bit. Old on the left, new on the right. I think the one on the right looks pretty good!

Image Image
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Disembodied wrote:

Thanks to all who made this work... even if it doesn't get into the game it's made my day to see it in the screenshot! One thing, though: since the station rotates, does it matter if players come across it back-to-front? It'll come the right way round eventually.
If that's the case, why can't I have Food Court Popcorn Cat?!?

8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8)

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Pangloss wrote:
Disembodied wrote:

I agree, is this specieism being practiced? Is it cos we is felines? :lol:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Pangloss wrote:
A fair question ... OK, signs with writing on them will go back-to-front as the station spins around. Is that a huge issue, though? Not being able to have writing does put a big restriction on what can go on the billboard. I know there's plenty of other space for text, but is the animated neon top-piece non-verbal only?
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Is it possible to put them back to back?
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Is it possible to put them back to back?
or with a solid black sheet between 2?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ark's plan - and I agree - is minimal code changes between Constores. However, I don't mind that on occassion the text is the wrong way round - if anything it adds to the realism of the 'verts...
Selezen wrote:
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Ark's plan - and I agree - is minimal code changes between Constores. However, I don't mind that on occassion the text is the wrong way round - if anything it adds to the realism of the 'verts...

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Well the only change in the code (in order to replace the drinking spaceman with happy frog) is to change the frames of the ad in shipdata.plist from 5 to 4. The fact that that ad has letters has nothing to do with code changes.

My main concern for the constores is to be different but at the same time similar so I wanted to put on the roof things that are similar with the drinking spaceman like the dancing robot or the funky chicken.

Does anybody of you that have the wip tried to change the texture of the roof billboard in one set with the happy frog and also change the frames of the ad in shipdata plist from 5 to 4 so he can see it live (DO NOT FORGET THE SHIFT!!). A static screenshot that posted by me is the only thing that you have seen. Am i right?

But if everybody agrees that I should put the happy frog with letters (but apparently without first seeing it live on a constore) that is ok with me i will do it :wink:

As for the pacman made by pangloss is definitely out of the question to ask me put it on a constore unless pangloss first make that look like a neon billboard (no offence pangloss - sorry about that)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

just changing the number of frames in the shipdata.plist will break the animation i'm afraid, the shader will chop up the original image incorrectly and well end up with a quater of the next frame sqaushed into the current frame.
There's a fairly easy fix for this, i could just upload another version of the neon billboard with the texture on the reverse side polygons mirrored so that the text will read OK on them, although the front and back sides won't match exactly anymore, but i vote for leaving it as it is (with the mirrored text on the back)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Ark due to interference from RL(TM) I've not had chance to fire up Oolite in several days - I will swap in the Happy Frog asap...
Selezen wrote: