Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

"The Adventures of Captain Morgan" Or "Damn That Mossfoot"

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: "The Adventures of Captain Morgan" Or "Damn That Mossfoo

Post by Paradox »

Ranthe wrote:
crew members being blown in half or "aerosoled" when hit by a hypervelocity metal fragment that punched through the hull of their ship. (I came across that particular concept in the comic series Albedo Anthropomorphics several years ago - I can certainly recommend reading the series if you can do so.)
I love that phrase! "Aerosol-ed" Too funny!

Ranthe wrote:
<nods> Especially in terms of how Rule 34 can be applied to Oolite, given how I've seen it applied in other fandoms...
LOL! Well, it does appear, to some, that I have lived up to that rule.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Paradox wrote:
Chapter 43 – Another One Bites the Dust.

Posted for your reading pleasure!

:lol: Love that last line. :-)

And you now have a great setting for a group shot of all 5 main characters. ;-)
That being said I do like the current background pic featuring Spitfire. :-)

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Neelix wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Chapter 43 – Another One Bites the Dust.

Posted for your reading pleasure!

:lol: Love that last line. :-)

And you now have a great setting for a group shot of all 5 main characters. ;-)
That being said I do like the current background pic featuring Spitfire. :-)

- Neelix
Thank you! };]

I wish I could do more renders like that, but that simple picture took an entire day to do. The program froze up my computer twice. Then the render itself took well over an hour to do. Not sure what your screen resolution is, but mine is only 1280x768. I rendered that at 1920x1080 as I figured that should cover most everyone. So I can only see part of that image on my screen. What I am getting at, is that if your resolution is high enough, you may be able to see "Morgan" standing in the background...? He is actually a very low resolution model, and if you could see him from the front, he is butt ugly! Hence, the reason he is back in the dark and facing the other way! };] I SO need a new computer! Anyway, by the time I arrange lights, props, figure, and pose, and render five or six times at the very least, to make adjustments and such... You see where this is going... I could maybe composite two characters together in photoshop, but still time consuming. This is mainly why, most images I post will just be Spitfire and her outfits...
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Sorry Pdx, wrong choice of words earlier; I meant to say "...while you're online" - as you were when I wrote the post. I would have been disappointed (along with many others) if you had 'gone'.

Caught up with the story. Love the line about the Lev Bike and the divorce :D And certainly Bee's exhibitionism has blossomed :wink: ...but if you're going to make a name for yourselves in the Ooniverse, it ought to be something memorable :P

Now my heart rate can come down a bit with the family get-together and another wedding! :mrgreen:
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

SteveKing wrote:
Sorry Pdx, wrong choice of words earlier; I meant to say "...while you're online" - as you were when I wrote the post. I would have been disappointed (along with many others) if you had 'gone'.
Ah! Okay. And thank you again for all your support and advice!
SteveKing wrote:
Caught up with the story. Love the line about the Lev Bike and the divorce :D And certainly Bee's exhibitionism has blossomed :wink: ...but if you're going to make a name for yourselves in the Ooniverse, it ought to be something memorable :P
Thank you!!! The lev-bike has gotten out of hand, but... I think it's punchline is coming up soon though.

I would like to think, that in a perfect world, without all the hypocrisies,the self righteous, the "moral" majorities, etc... That all girls would be like Spitfire. Innocent, honest, open, loving, mischievous, free spirited, etc. She reminds me, of Dean Yeagle's "Mandy" character. Just an innocent lust for life. If I die and come back as a cute little pixie like girl... I'm gonna make all the boys cry! };] :lol:
SteveKing wrote:
Now my heart rate can come down a bit with the family get-together and another wedding! :mrgreen:
Don't bet on it... :twisted:
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Paradox wrote:
I wish I could do more renders like that, but that simple picture took an entire day to do. The program froze up my computer twice. Then the render itself took well over an hour to do. Not sure what your screen resolution is, but mine is only 1280x768. I rendered that at 1920x1080 as I figured that should cover most everyone. So I can only see part of that image on my screen. What I am getting at, is that if your resolution is high enough, you may be able to see "Morgan" standing in the background...? He is actually a very low resolution model, and if you could see him from the front, he is butt ugly! Hence, the reason he is back in the dark and facing the other way! };] I SO need a new computer! Anyway, by the time I arrange lights, props, figure, and pose, and render five or six times at the very least, to make adjustments and such... You see where this is going... I could maybe composite two characters together in photoshop, but still time consuming. This is mainly why, most images I post will just be Spitfire and her outfits...
Ahh *nods* fair enough.

As it happens I'm running at 1024x600 on this machine, so I normally see even less of it in the background than you do. I did however load the picture directly so I could see the whole thing (scaled) without the text obscuring it, so I did notice the figure in the background... I just never considered it might be Morgan. :lol:

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Neelix wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Ahh *nods* fair enough.

As it happens I'm running at 1024x600 on this machine, so I normally see even less of it in the background than you do. I did however load the picture directly so I could see the whole thing (scaled) without the text obscuring it, so I did notice the figure in the background... I just never considered it might be Morgan. :lol:

- Neelix
That was my intent, but as homely as that model is, that is the best I could do. };] Besides, with figures like Spitfire (Victoria 4.2) to play, as well as her outfits. Who wants to waste time and hard drive space, on male models and clothes. };]
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Hiya,

1) Satanism in D&D and rock music: As I hear it, if you play a certain Justin Bieber song backwards you will hear a message from Satan urging you to commit ritual suicide. Even worse, if you play it forwards you will hear a song by Justin Bieber.

2) Captain Gary Stu and Miss Fanservice: This was a humorous reference to the Adventures of Captain Morgan. "Gary Stu" is the male version of "Mary Sue" - the author avatar for whom everything important goes right and who is always right even if sometimes unappreciated. "Miss Fanservice" is any gratuitously hot female character brought in to pander to the male audience (see Seven Of Nine and others)

I'll wait until I get home to catch up on the latest episodes - I'm behind a French proxy server here and it seems to have been alarmed by some of the links...!
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Malacandra wrote:
Captain Gary Stu and Miss Fanservice
For what is probably the definitive summing up of both, see:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
and
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MartyStu

And for what may well be the most OMGWTF Mary Sue of them all, :twisted: see:
http://interrobangstudios.com/comics-di ... rip_id=989
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Paradox wrote:
I would like to think, that in a perfect world, without all the hypocrisies,the self righteous, the "moral" majorities, etc... That all girls would be like Spitfire. Innocent, honest, open, loving, mischievous, free spirited, etc. She reminds me, of Dean Yeagle's "Mandy" character. Just an innocent lust for life. If I die and come back as a cute little pixie like girl... I'm gonna make all the boys cry! };] :lol:
Heh. Anthropology's not really my subject, but I really don't believe that any majority culture in the world has ever had girls like this be the rule, self-righteous, moral majorities or whatever notwithstanding. An enjoyable fantasy, but while I'm wishing, I'll have my own private spaceship and a comfy living trading furs and booze for computers, thank you. :)
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Malacandra wrote:
Hiya,

1) Satanism in D&D and rock music: As I hear it, if you play a certain Justin Bieber song backwards you will hear a message from Satan urging you to commit ritual suicide. Even worse, if you play it forwards you will hear a song by Justin Bieber.
:lol: Too funny! };]

Malacandra wrote:
2) Captain Gary Stu and Miss Fanservice: This was a humorous reference to the Adventures of Captain Morgan. "Gary Stu" is the male version of "Mary Sue" - the author avatar for whom everything important goes right and who is always right even if sometimes unappreciated. "Miss Fanservice" is any gratuitously hot female character brought in to pander to the male audience (see Seven Of Nine and others)
Ahhh okay. Between this and Dizzy's links, I understand now!
Malacandra wrote:
I'll wait until I get home to catch up on the latest episodes - I'm behind a French proxy server here and it seems to have been alarmed by some of the links...!
I wonder if it's the mature content warning? Add Block Plus only reports 1 blocked add on any of my pages... weird.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
Captain Gary Stu and Miss Fanservice
For what is probably the definitive summing up of both, see:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
and
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MartyStu

Thank you Dizzy! I never knew about any of those... Now, I am almost painfully aware. };] But's that's okay, it's not a paying gig anyways. so back to the fun! };]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Malacandra wrote:
Heh. Anthropology's not really my subject, but I really don't believe that any majority culture in the world has ever had girls like this be the rule, self-righteous, moral majorities or whatever notwithstanding. An enjoyable fantasy, but while I'm wishing, I'll have my own private spaceship and a comfy living trading furs and booze for computers, thank you. :)
LOFL Well, I did state "in a perfect world" And the world has never been perfect, ergo...

However, it just occurred to me, that those of a religious mindset, do believe the world was perfect at one time. And what was happening at this time? Both boy and girl were running through the Garden De Eden, naked and carefree! };]

Hmmm Spaceship Eden... has a nice ring to it! };]
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Diziet Sma wrote:
http://interrobangstudios.com/comics-di ... ip_id=1645

Last panel.....

doki doki kawaii.... can someone please inform me as to what the hell I'm looking at? It appears to be eyebleedingly pink and vaguely sexualized. Other than that I'm getting nothing, other than huge grins, some v for victories, I am very, very confused. Is there actually a meme here? Or have we all been using the colour clash cannon to dress ourselves again?
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

ClymAngus wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
http://interrobangstudios.com/comics-di ... ip_id=1645

Last panel.....

doki doki kawaii.... can someone please inform me as to what the hell I'm looking at? It appears to be eyebleedingly pink and vaguely sexualized. Other than that I'm getting nothing, other than huge grins, some v for victories, I am very, very confused. Is there actually a meme here? Or have we all been using the colour clash cannon to dress ourselves again?

LOL! Ya, not the comics I grew up with either. I know kawaii stands for "cute" more or less in Japanese culture, but the style... not so much my thing. They are somewhat funny though, once you understand the Mary Sue meme.