Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Digital86
Competent
Competent

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Digital86 »

Hi folks!
The very first toys, remain in memory for the rest of life. I am very glad that thanks to your diligence, I can again will return to the childhood. It is still very healthy that ordinary-looking Elite, became such beautiful game, as Oolite.
My English is very poor.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Welcome Demon59
If you get tired of the vanilla wafers and milk there are darkside macaroons and mead.
Ask Smiv, Cody, thargoid on how to get them... they are very free with their addictive sweets. :lol:
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

be warned the cookies are addictive....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Commander Trumbles
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Commander Trumbles »

Hello!

I can't claim to be an Elite vet. I honestly wasn't even born until a few years after Elite had been released.

My family owned a Tandy 1000 EX that someone had given us rather than throw away, and we had no idea how it worked because there was no manual. The only thing we knew how to run on it was Number Crunchers because someone had shown us.

My first interaction with the Space Sim genre was probably Earth & Beyond, which, if you haven't heard of it, you weren't missing all that much. It was a relatively low-key space combat/trading MMO that was mind blowing for me at the time, but was quickly dwarfed by much better games as I grew older and got my hands on them.

I came across Oolite probably 2 years ago and played it only briefly.

I took a week and a half vacation from work 2 weeks ago (it was one of those situations where all the worlds aligned to create the perfect opportunity to use the fewest vacation days to get the most days off consecutively), and I spent almost the whole time playing Oolite, trying different OXPs and creating a few of my own, and I have to say I am in love with this game.

I feel somewhat ashamed of myself for not jumping on it sooner.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Commander Trumbles, welcome to the boards! Sorry for the delay in getting your first post up, but all the mods were variously asleep/drunk/in a regenerative cycle (delete as applicable). It's still the friendliest place this side of Riedquat, though: you should see how long it takes to get a first post up on the other side of Riedquat ... ;)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome Commander Trumbles. We'll have to have you round for a BBQ some time :evil: :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, and welcome aboard, Commander Trumbles! 8)
Commander Trumbles wrote:
trying different OXPs and creating a few of my own
Oh dear.. looks like the Dark Side of Oolite has you in its grasp already.. (the cookies are on the plate in the corner) and please feel free to share your creations with us.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Welcome Cmdr T..... mmmm cookies good......
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Hello! It took me a while to figure out that the registration email that I never received probably went into the spam folder.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Noah JD Chinn, and I fell in love with Elite back at the start on the Commie 64 port of the game.

What can I say about my explorations as to what you guys have done with Oolite other than WOW. Your OXPs have allowed me to essentially build the version of Elite I've always wanted and then some.

While I'm in no way a programmer, I am a writer and editor (3 published novels of my own, dozens of books edited under my watch). Hell, I even wrote a fanfic novel based in the X3 universe (what's the general opinion of those games here? I rather like them overall... before I rediscovered Elite, that is!) and it ended up being included in their Collector's Edition.

I hope that every so often I might be able to drop a helpful idea here and there that people might want to build on (assuming it hasn't been discussed to death!) But overall I just wanted this to be a chance to say THANK YOU for all contributing to such a great game!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Welcome Mossfoot to a very friendly place this side of a planet I can't spell.
There are lots of us who fondly remember our comm 64s so you are certainly not alone.
Since you are have experiences please share them with us as you make your travels. If you decide to try your hand at OXP writing there are darkside cookies and drinks for the sampling. Ideas are always welcome to be considered and talked about and even implimented.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Welcome, mossfoot, I hope you get inspired to join the ranks of our many Oolite fiction authors!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome aboard, Mossfoot :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, and welcome aboard, mossfoot! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Typhon
Poor
Poor

Post by Typhon »

Hello all!

Usual background story: placed 8-bit Elite (on the CPC) when I was a 'little un. Just recently discovered the awesomeness that is OOLite, courtesy of a FB friend. Am running it with loads of OXPs, and really enjoying it. Used to be a software engineer, although that was mainly C++/C#/Delphi, so I may be up for some creativity with the game.

Really glad to be here too.

T.
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

On behalf of the friendliest board this side of Riedquat, Welcome Typhon!

A lot of the rest are probably interacting with RL at the moment (either that or they're asleep - which is almost the same thing! :D )
Typhon wrote:
...so I may be up for some creativity with the game
There'll be a plate full of cookies somewhere if you look... otherwise someone will pass you one :D

Regards,
SteveKing
(not quite the author)