Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Nemoricus wrote:
The only thing I have issue with is the colors. Something about that mix is not pleasing. However, I'm not sure what a good set of colors would be.

However, the routes themselves are no issue. Then again, I'm biased. :wink:
Hey, I was down to rinky dink pink and pastel. They're the same as the others (admittedly there are a lot more connections compared to the other maps).

If other people hate it too then we'll cut down. Color wise your already fighting against system colours, region colours etc etc etc. It really eats up the possible palette choices.

The colours are the same as map4 and that's even more "busy" colour wise, the routes are just shorter. .
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

right! If we have no complaints then lets post it!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ClymAngus wrote:
right! If we have no complaints then lets post it!
No complaints here.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Once again I have as for someones help because I can't post on the frigging wiki........

O cruel fate why must you treat me so?
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Sorry for a last minute post, hows about this? A bit easier on the eye.

Also for any one stuck with such issues for any reason, this is a good site for ideas..

http://www.colourlovers.com/
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

so, what's the difference? :)
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

:) If that's the general concensus, then none. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive to these things.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I think perhaps ZU was simply offering up a website for those who were concerned with the colour scheme of the GC5 map - the map therefore is no different (but could have been if anybody had followed the link!) :wink: :roll:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hello Commanders
ClymAngus has done an amazing art work with the G maps, I use them to help in my err.. well.. profit making bug riddence endevours. Spelling not a requirement of said job.
So great on ya ClymAngus. Makes life a whole great better.

Happy hunting
A
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
Once again I have as for someones help because I can't post on the frigging wiki........

O cruel fate why must you treat me so?
I've added it for ya! :D

(Don't forget to bump it up the list to "Complete")
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

ZygoUgo wrote:
:) If that's the general concensus, then none. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive to these things.
Sorry, I'm not getting up anyone. The entire point of this project was clarity. The issue I think we have here is; that EVERYTHING has to stand out. There are only so many stand out colours you can use before any map turns into pride day at mardi gras.

On the order of things in standouty-ness I think;

1) Systems.
2) Normal routes.
3) Trade routes.

This is mainly because that is what the maps are being used for. Practicality over prettiness and all that. I think we're just about butting the limit with this one of viable trade routes purely on an "OMG My eyes are Bleeding! front".

The other thing is for consistency map colours are kept fairly standard. Any change to one would prompt a change to all. I have varying feelings on this;

Changing the system colours (No frigging way)
Changing the normal route colours (I would prefer not to)
Changing the special trade route colours (If someone comes up with a better colour scheme that stands out and is easy to differentiate between routes I will mumble about not getting on with galaxy 6 then implement it. More over anyone who does will automatically receive a credit on ALL 8 Galaxy maps.

Here's the catch, the general consensus must be that it actually looks better. There you go, a challenge or leave as is. Your call. :D
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I'm not sure if you think these really need to stand out, but i think the circles around regions would be more visible if they were slightly thicker and/or a lighter color.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Of all the things on the map those are the most throw away (but also the most fun) They give a bit of colour without clashing with anything truly important. Much in the same way the old maps had "Here be dragons" the regions on the O.V.G. maps fill out otherwise dead space with a bit of non-confrontational texture.

So the fact they blend is more the feature and less of the flaw when taking into account the map structure as a whole.

Thanks for the interest and remember there are still 3 more maps to go so plenty of time for credits!

Clym
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Alex wrote:
Hello Commanders
ClymAngus has done an amazing art work with the G maps, I use them to help in my err.. well.. profit making bug riddence endevours. Spelling not a requirement of said job.
So great on ya ClymAngus. Makes life a whole great better.

Happy hunting
A
Thanks dude. If it helps one pilot find one route then..... Not enough people are downloading it!!! :D Joke!

Well, Pharagorth is working his little heart out trying to automate the map generation, hopeful from there we might be able to present a case for it in game (I said Hopeful and Might). But switching between oolite and a pdf for now seems to work quite well too (as long as you've got a good reader that is). Until that shining day comes, we're probably looking at about a map a month so done by Christmas?

Pretty aside this is a pointless project unless the map is practical, easy to read and gives you all the information about what and where. If I can locate a bounty system and make a bit of money whilst I'm getting there then I'll consider this project a success. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Happy trading, neutralising, sight seeing (whatever floats your cobra.)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Right I'm setting myself a little challenge here. To have the 8 maps done (when I mean done I mean routes and systems) by Ian Bells birthday of November 1st

I might wipe off the OOLITE reference but the board is sending "one of the Daddys" a present he won't soon forget! If people really get scared I can remail. But looking on the dudes site he's the cool one. :)