Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Feudal States

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Maregies isn't meant to be one of the feudal states.
I'd wondered about that, since I didn't see it in the house listings in the pdf guide. I'd quess that might also be why I've never been offered a mission after the initial one?

So is there anything I should do to fix it? No rank to lose, if I need to erase something and start over. I'd been thinking it might have glitched because I had briefly had "offender" status while I was enroute in the fist mission to deliver a load of furs as a diplomatic gift. LOL

It's a great OXP with the premise/backstory and all. One suggestion would be that maybe after some specific rank is achieved the player might be able to opt to put their house arms/device on their ship as a "decal". Or what elements of the coat of arms may be added might depend on rank.

Whatever glitch resulted in my ending up being a member of a non-feudal state seems to have allowed me to look for tournament challenges at the RHL, but not to get missions from the court. It might be interesting to make it an option if somebody wanted to play basically "blank shield" or mercenary. It might fit with some people's fantasy self-image as "intergalactic being of mystery" or whatever, and they might be occasionally offered missions that would be.. well.. expedient, but outside of most folk's idea of the chivalric code.

Personally, I'd rather play as an official member of one of the feudal states, but it might fit some people's game persona to remain undeclared after completing the initial mission to prove their worthiness. Alternatively, maybe figure out some special place to go or whatever to be offered an Ecclesiastic coat of arms to belong to something a bit like an Intergalactic Knights Templar. Since missions for someone like that would maybe tend more to moving large quantities of "ship's safe" type valuables or important documents and rare relics, they'd be serious pirate magnets.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I've uploaded a further update which should clean up some of the remaining issues around missions. I'll keep the version around 1.7 for the moment until I'm sure I've got everything ironed out.

What's meant to happen is that when you have no rank, you can do missions for any of the feudal houses. Once you reach a certain score, you'll be offered a knighthood and the chance to formally join one of the houses. After that, you can only accept missions from your 'home' house. As your rank increases, you get more variety in the kinds of missions you can do. You can choose not to join any particular house but you won't get access to the more high-risk missions.

Some of the problems were caused by the fact that I added a function to cover situations where players enter a new galaxy. Instead of starting from scratch you can transfer your rank to another house and carry on from where you left of.

To fix your current game, open up the save file in a text editor and do a search on 'feudal'. Delete any of the mission variables that have feudal in the name (both the key and the string part) and you'll start over.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
hemiola
Poor
Poor

Post by hemiola »

Bug Report:

1. Is the main planet of Esceso (g2) suppose to be a gas giant?

2. After I accept a challenge and put my bet, I see the "begin challenge / start later" dialogue. If I press "F1" instead of "return" at this moment, I will launch, but the challenger will never appear. And then, I can't no longer accept any challenge, eg. nothing will happen at RHL when I press "F8", even in other systems. I have to open my oolite-save file and delete all the items related to "challenger".

I hope this will help.
Last edited by hemiola on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well, I'm still "Maregeis" because I haven't hacked the file yet.. But at least as of the newest release, I've gotten a mission. I'd quit checking on that after finding out it shouldn't have set it for Maregeis, but I ended up doing a cab run to the planet surface so I figured I'd check it anyway. Lo and behold, they offered me a mission. :D

When I got to the mission destination, it was "a gas giant". But landing at the station completed the mission. The gas giant thing isn't limited to Feudal states, though. I've seen situations where somebody asks for a cab ride down to the surface from the station, but it's a gas giant? I don't know how that plays out, since I didn't figure it was worth finding out for a 23 cr fare. LOL

I've still had a couple more occasions where my challenge opponent has not been at the beacon. In one case I got to watch him pull away from the beacon as I was heading there and he headed off in the direction of the main planet/station. Pulled up alongside him, flew across his path a couple times, no reaction. I went back to the lodge and of course ended up forfeiting that round. I think maybe they always spawn there ok, but then sometimes wander off.

I also had one where after she'd done the usual initial "I'm gonna kick your butt" type message, we'd had several exchanges of fire and hits, but then she sped off into the distance. I figured she'd turn around and head back for that sort of "jousting" attack they do sometimes.. But nope. She kept going right out of scanner range and didn't come back. I followed out far enough that the beacon was just barely in scanner range behind me, but she just kept going.

Maybe it's just a bit of cavalier attitude where they decide to head off for a drink or something and blow off the fight.. LOL

It does raise a question, though.. If you go far enough from the beacon does it result in forfeiting the match?

Oh, I've also had one fight so far where they fired hardheads at me, and the missiles didn't self destruct. I was ignoring the missiles because I was kind of busy exchanging laser fire with the opponent, and as such got hit by at least one hardhead while my shields were taking a beating.

"Press space, commander".
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The Gas Giant thing for both Feudal States and Planetfall Taxi is due to System Redux 2. I've already had some discussions with Cmdr. Cheyd on the subject, and there are plans afoot but he needs a little time to finish some ongoing works.

Once those are done then some updates for compatibility will be sorted out and the problem will be fixed (or at least fixable). But for the moment use the main station for FS, and treat any idiot who wants a ride down to a gas giant to a nice new padded cell ;)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
The Gas Giant thing for both Feudal States and Planetfall Taxi is due to System Redux 2.
I disagree here. Its a bug in planetfall. Having a property "SolarGasGiant" does not mean it is true. When the property is present you still must check if its value is true or false. (all other Oolite properties work tat way) Cmd Cheyd has correctly set it to false for his gas planets.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Eric Walch wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
The Gas Giant thing for both Feudal States and Planetfall Taxi is due to System Redux 2.
I disagree here. Its a bug in planetfall. Having a property "SolarGasGiant" does not mean it is true. When the property is present you still must check if its value is true or false. (all other Oolite properties work tat way) Cmd Cheyd has correctly set it to false for his gas planets.
Solar Gas Giant was compatibility with Solar System OXP from Frame, and our agreement was that if the key was present then the planet was a GG, and for other planets it wasn't there.

In the case of SR2 Cmdr Cheyd decided to use isGasGiant, but initially used it as you say (true/false). But in the current version of SR2 this has been changed to the same way Frame was using it. There is actually no need for SR2 to set solarGasGiant at all, it's belt & braces.

My original meaning is that SR2 is changing main planets to Gas Giants, hence the presumed availability of the main planet in both FS and PF-T is no longer the case.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Something that appears to be a definite bug is that your opponents are carrying missiles and do fire them. Often they are regular missiles that self destruct, but sometimes they are hardheads that do not.

Considering the player's ship is stripped of missiles (Umm, I haven't noticed, but are we reimbursed for those?), having multiple hardheads aboard the noble opponents' ships seems a bit.. less than chivalric?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I think I can add a line that removes an NPC's missiles - it didn't work in earlier versions of Oolite but it should now have the same effect as on the player.

More importantly, I've only just realised that the OXP's impacted by the shader changes going into 1.74, and so the decals don't work any more, at least not on my mac. I've read up on some of the discussions in the shader threads but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. Any ideas?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ramirez wrote:
I think I can add a line that removes an NPC's missiles - it didn't work in earlier versions of Oolite but it should now have the same effect as on the player.
Yes, since 1.74 you can remove missiles like any other equipment, both for the player and for NPCs.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I think Griff's the best person to ask, he seems intent on building a decal empire... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Griff's sorted me out with the shaders so I've uploaded a v1.8. This includes a fix that should stop challenger opponents being able to use missiles.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

--- ROYAL PROCLAMATION ---

His Majesty the King of Oreseren hereby gives the following proclamation:

We wish send a small but valuable consignment of furs to our noble friends in the Royal Court of Gelaed in order to secure a strategic alliance. In doing so we must ensure that the shipment arrives safely and is not disrupted by our enemies.

A payment of 1606 Cr will be made to the pilot that successfully undertakes this task on behalf of the House of Ededleen.
Also, I have been invited and am able to participate in Royal Tournaments, despite having no rank and not being affiliated to any of the Royal Houses...
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Well that's not right. I have an idea what the problem might be but can you check your save game in a text editor and paste all the feudal-related mission strings so I can check where you are.

Have you started with v1.8 or have you been running any previous versions?
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I started with v1.7, but am now running v1.8.

These are all the mission strings I can find:

Code: Select all

<key>feudal-tournament.js</key>
	<string>Royal Tournament: In progress at Onusorle</string>

<key>mission_feudal_challenger</key>
	<string>NONE_SET</string>
	<key>mission_feudal_challenger_stake</key>
	<string>10000</string>
	<key>mission_feudal_jumpcount</key>
	<string>3</string>
	<key>mission_feudal_mission</key>
	<string>DELIVERY_DECLINED</string>