Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

plannets.oxp - is it still working?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@CaptKev: Have you thought about putting up a wiki-page for System_Redux.oxp? I see it's not even present on the OXP-page. (Although I just put a link to the FAQ-page, in the question about the textured planets.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Hi Commander McLane, I hope to shortly given a bit of time. I need to update the Fighter HUD as well (too many things to do and not enough time! :( ).

BTW, Nice job on the FAQ-page. 8)
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Forgive my ignorance, but there was something that I wanted to ask since I opened the script in order to tune down the number of planets and moons:

Oolite has eight galaxies, however in the system_info-array there are only 7x256 entries. Why? Is one galaxy completely spared out? Galaxy 8?
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Well spotted Commander McLane :oops:, I'm glad somebody's paying attention! I'll fix it ASAP.

EDIT: To correct the above problem please re-download System Redux from my signature or download the replacement script here then copy it to your Config folder.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

You're most welcome! :)

I'm glad there wasn't some mind-bogglingly obvious purpose behind it, which I would've overlooked. 8)
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Ahruman wrote:
What you’re seeing is ”z-fighting”. Two concentric planets (or a planet and a cloud layer) are too close together, causing their polygons to overlap imperfectly.
All I can add is that for the moon at Mabiat, Galaxy 3, things were fine until I got too close to it, got re-rendered to its maximum detail, and the rings appeared. The planet itself remained o.k. The moon didn't appear to have an atmosphere, clouds so I dont think that is the origin. Humble computer details:
Oolite 1.71.2 Mac OS X 10.3.9 PowerBook G4
OpenGL renderer version: 1.3.0 ("1.3 ATI-1.3.42")
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI Radeon 7000 OpenGL Engine
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (56):

As an aside, some of moons are closer to the planet than the stations (e.g. the example above - the altimeter doesn't recover to greater than 40% when flying from the moon to the planet), this doesn't make much sense to me. I suggest moving the moon(s) further out. The other planets (when they appear) are quite far away, which is good.

When I initially tried to include this oxp it did extra moons, planets correctly, but the Oolite planet disappeared, just leaving the dark, transparent atmosphere. Once I switched from full view to smaller window the Oolite planet rendered correctly and was fine after that. Maybe this thread dealt with that topic earlier, apologies if it did.

I hope this oxp makes it into the list on the wiki soon, it is quite breathtaking to chase Geckos over moons at low altitude etc.

The fact that I can recognize when a texture map for Mars or Io or our own Moon is being used, not so good, but hopefully the procedural approach being pursued by others can be used instead one day. Ideally, if procedurally generated maps are generated on the fly then very high resolutions could become possible when flying closer to a planet, moon. That would look spectacular.
White dots were so much easier to hit
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Dr Beeb wrote:
As an aside, some of moons are closer to the planet than the stations (e.g. the example above - the altimeter doesn't recover to greater than 40% when flying from the moon to the planet), this doesn't make much sense to me. I suggest moving the moon(s) further out. The other planets (when they appear) are quite far away, which is good.
The moons will be moved a bit further away from the main planet in the next release of System Redux.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Commander McLane wrote:
@CaptKev: Have you thought about putting up a wiki-page for System_Redux.oxp? I see it's not even present on the OXP-page. (Although I just put a link to the FAQ-page, in the question about the textured planets.
Finally got around to updating the Wiki with the latest versions of Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux. Could somebody check that I haven't messed anything up (which is highly likely) :?:

Thanks, Kev
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi CaptKev. Looks good. IMO ther should be a little more information about System Redux (what it does) for the newe user. So a little description could be handy.

My next project will be tha famous planets OXP.
I will download Lave oxp to see if it conflicts 8)
Cheers!

P.A. GRoove
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

The freeze that was caused by the earlier version of system_redux at a mis-jump is eliminated in the latest version. :)

However, there are still two JS-warnings and an exception in my logfile, if I misjump:
[script.javaScript.warning.162]: ----- JavaScript warning: reference to undefined property system_info[galaxyNumber * 256 + system.ID]
[script.javaScript.warning.162]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.71.2/AddOns/System_Redux.oxp/Config/script.js, line 53.
[script.javaScript.warning.162]: ----- JavaScript warning: reference to undefined property system_info[galaxyNumber * 256 + system.ID]
[script.javaScript.warning.162]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.71.2/AddOns/System_Redux.oxp/Config/script.js, line 71.
[script.javaScript.exception.39]: ***** JavaScript exception: TypeError: system.mainPlanet has no properties
[script.javaScript.exception.39]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.71.2/AddOns/System_Redux.oxp/Config/script.js, line 89.
I would suggest the insertation of a condition in the system_redux-script that tests for interstellar space, and ends the script if the test is succesfull.

The following code should do the trick:

Instead of

Code: Select all

this.shipWillExitWitchspace = function()
{
	this.populate();
}
use this:

this.shipWillExitWitchspace = function()
{
	if(system.isInterstellarSpace) return
	this.populate();
}
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Thanks Commander McLane, I'll make the change.
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

Hi.
CaptKev wrote:
Replace the code in script.js (except the array at the top) with the code below

this.movePlanet = function()
{
	let p = system.mainPlanet;
	if(p)	p.setPosition(p.position.add(p.position.subtract(system.sun.position)).multiply(this.multiple));
	this.systemDone=true;
}

okay, this post is quite old, but I guess there is a small bug in the formula. I'm not an JS Expert, but I read it as:

p = (p + p - s) * m
shouldn't it be
p = p + (p - s) *m

I noticed the same bug in the farsun.oxp. It would mean a change of the angle of the ecliptic.

Ebi
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Hello Ebi
Ebi wrote:
okay, this post is quite old, but I guess there is a small bug in the formula. I'm not an JS Expert, but I read it as:

p = (p + p - s) * m
shouldn't it be
p = p + (p - s) *m
I think you are right. It should be:

p.setPosition(p.position.add(p.position.subtract(system.sun.position).multiply(this.multiple)));
I have farSun not installed but the one time I tested it I had the impression that the distance was muck more than 3x the original. It is not multiplying the distance planet-sun but also the position of the planet itself.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I already had this board in high regard, but am amazed at the new posters' increasing quality! :o
One makes a marking entrance by announcing a new HUD on his first post, another comes in with advanced mathematics and ecliptics... if it keeps on like this, soon enough It'll be awkward for me to lower the forum's growing standards with my posts! :cry:

Oh, and Ebi, Welcome to The Friendliest Boards This Side of Riedquat!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
I already had this board in high regard, but am amazed at the new posters' increasing quality! :o
One makes a marking entrance by announcing a new HUD on his first post, another comes in with advanced mathematics and ecliptics... if it keeps on like this, soon enough It'll be awkward for me to lower the forum's growing standards with my posts! :cry:

Oh, and Ebi, Welcome to The Friendliest Boards This Side of Riedquat!
Well it isnt quite Advanced, just simply parenthesis misplacement, that was lost in translation from code to correct mathematical usage

But yeah it was well spotted...

Welcome Ebi...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935