Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

EvoMayhem
Poor
Poor

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by EvoMayhem »

Greetings folks, another newcomer to the board, but not to the 'world' of Elite. :D

I first started playing Elite back in the late 80's, on an old Spectrum 48k. I have to say, out of all the games I had, that always remained my favorite. Even through to the Amiga 500+ version I had, and then Frontier: Elite. (Like most folks I've seen, concept was great, playability was a serious let down)

I even found a port of the game for the iPhone, called 'Unknown'. Looked a hell of a lot like Elite, but involved colours as well, plus you could buy new ships as well. Good fun, but always wanted a PC version.

Which, of course, brough tme to here. :D

Only problem I had was registering on here. Wouldn't accept my Hotmail email address for love nor money. Had to use my work email, which is really not ideal at all. Is Hotmail totally banned on here? Is it possible to get my registered email address changed over?

Anyway, looking forward to a long time playing this. :D
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi EvoMayhem, welcome to the boards! Friendliest place this side of Riedquat (it says so behind the bar) ...

Re. hotmail ... would I be right in thinking your hotmail address has a digit before the @? If you PM me your hotmail address, I can switch it over for you.
EvoMayhem
Poor
Poor

Post by EvoMayhem »

Excellent, thank you and PM sent. :D
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris can swim on land.
Chuck Norris doesn't need connection to stay online.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi EvoMayhem, and welcome. Good to have you aboard.
By the way, 'Unknown' was developed by Mike, one of our members - he'll be glad you liked it :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
EvoMayhem
Poor
Poor

Post by EvoMayhem »

I really do, it's been a real 'blast from the past' for me.

And to have it on the iPad as well, given I travel overseas a lot with work on the oil rigs, I'll be able to get my Elite fix all the time now! Ha ha ha!

Pretty cool he's on here as well.

I've been playing Oolite on and off all day now. I'm really getting sucked into it! Internet connection on this rig is absolutely dire, but I've managed to get a couple of OXP's downloaded, just some 'dressing' more than anything. (Sounds and the Cobra mk III XT)

Can't wait for a better stable connection to get some of the updated texture OXP's!
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris can swim on land.
Chuck Norris doesn't need connection to stay online.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, EvoMayhem, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

Whaaat? An iPhone version? That's the most awesome thing I've heard all day!
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Hi All,

Just became a member. Won't necessarily be a very active member, but will keep an eye on things :shock:

My history goes back to C64 days, black&white, poly-lines and the tape deck, that'd be what; early 80's? Progressed to an Amiga500 about 5-10 years later, then got married and work got in the way. Found Oolite a few years ago and been playing it on and off since. Along with the majority of inductees - whoever got the ball rolling with the 'oo' version (and for all those that keep it progressing), many thanks from my nostalgic heart.

Mainly play a traders game with a few bits and pieces added on and from some of the discussions, I'm glad I haven't gone down the 'lets get everything' road. Currently in G2 with around 800 pesky undesirables removed from my ooniverse, flying a Cobra MkIII on a keyboard that's s'ooped up with for' and aft Mil Lasers, extra e-units and shields.

Reason for joining was to ask couple of questions about fan fiction as I'm embarking on a short story around the Constrictor Hunt that my alter ego Cmdr James Toohey finished a few years ago. Just wanted to ask 1) off the top of your (collective) heads, has anyone written one? 2) When I finish it, is there a collective library it can be stored - either at Aegidian or elsewhere? and 3) Is there any here that are happy to correspond (through BB our outside it) with me about ooniverse peculiarities or accepted mythology so that the story will sit more comfortably in it?

Hope to get to know a few of you better. Signing off for now.

SteveKing
not quite the famous author! :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Steve...
SteveKing wrote:
... about ooniverse peculiarities or accepted mythology so that the story will sit more comfortably in it?
... Oofiction tends to invent its own canon, so you can write whatever you wish (but we'll be pleased to answer any questions).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

... about ooniverse peculiarities or accepted mythology so that the story will sit more comfortably in it?... Oofiction tends to invent its own canon, so you can write whatever you wish (but we'll be pleased to answer any questions).

Thanks muchly. I expect any research will just be browsing other fiction and some back stories of the oxp collection - I'd like to immerse it in some sort of recogniseable framework.

SteveKing
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

SteveKing wrote:
Reason for joining was to ask couple of questions about fan fiction as I'm embarking on a short story around the Constrictor Hunt that my alter ego Cmdr James Toohey finished a few years ago. Just wanted to ask 1) off the top of your (collective) heads, has anyone written one? 2) When I finish it, is there a collective library it can be stored - either at Aegidian or elsewhere?
Hi Steve, and welcome! I don't think anyone's written anything about the Constrictor hunt, no - and as Cody says, we mostly load our own canons here anyway, so feel free to do what you want. As far as a collective library goes, there's the Fiction thread on this forum, and if you upload the finished work to a Box account or suchlike you're welcome to put a link to it on the wiki at
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... te_stories
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yay! Another victim... umm.. I mean addict... err.. err.. member.. yeah, that's it.. member!

Welcome aboard, Steve! Looking forward to both your questions and your story! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Svampen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Svampen »

Hi all!

I just found oolite while googling for spacesims!
I'm completely new to oolite and the elite series so i'll probably be bugging you guys with loads of questions as i get deeper into the game.

Already started out with some newb questions in the discussion forum. :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Svampen, and welcome :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Svampen, and welcome aboard! 8)