Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[OXP idea] Faster regenerating shields

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [OXP idea] Faster regenerating shields

Post by Okti »

Also don't forget most of the pirate NPC's are in groups. Not one to one dog fight in any case. :D

I don't realy support uber equipment. But at the end of the day I think there are several roles to play in oolite. One of them may be to be immortal
:twisted:.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I wanted better regenerating shields, because even in a Vector and against a normal mob, I got killed. Or when there's a lot of Thargoids... :twisted:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:shock:

You probably want to improve your kombat skillz, the feeling you get once you survive against all odds is something really amazing! ;)

The only way to improve is by having a lot of fights, many of which - going from my own experience here - will be full of 'strategic retreats'... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

CheeseRedux wrote:
So if I ever get to the point where I can stroll through the toughest, most Thargoid-infested Anarchy with impunity, I've definitely earned it..
Ironically, Anarchy systems seem less likely to have Thargoids than most...though I'm sure OXPs may change that.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Switeck wrote:
Ironically, Anarchy systems seem less likely to have Thargoids than most...though I'm sure OXPs may change that.
That may be reasonable, though. Anarchy systems do not have strong central government or as much Galcop or Navy involvement and may be seen by the Thargoids as posing less of a threat.

The most reliable place to end up in confrontations with Thargoids is in interstellar space when using witchspace. While it is difficult to understand motives of hostile xenobiological entities about which little is actually known, one might postulate that what they mostly have a problem with is incursion into "their turf". I didn't pay good enough attention maybe in future history class, but are there any documented cases of Thargoids attacking actual colonies on planets?

It's a moot point, really, since we need interstellar commerce. But the lower incidence of Thargoid presence in Anarchy systems might be a clue as to what Thargoids perceive as "The human menace".
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoids attacking on—or at least around—planets is the pretext of some OXPs, most notably Thargoid Wars.oxp. Building on that, there are sub-missions in Cataclysm.oxp about direct attacks on planets.

In The Dark Wheel it is revealed that the Thargoid Robot Fighters (Thargons) are actually manned by Thargoids in earlier stages of development (I think not larvae, but some other stage), and this is the reason why they can be sold as Alien Items. GalCop research is using them to find out as much about Thargoids as possible.

Of course the practice of capturing their young and taking out scientific research with them, killing them in the process, would be perfectly capable of angering the Thargoids, and would be an reasonable justification for them to attack at least planets where they suspect such research (or even the trade leading to the research) to take place.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

slip up by the Thargoids that, you'd think they'd build an autodestruct into them to prevent capture if the mothership is destroyed.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

The cases of definite Thargoid attacks on populated planets sound like they may be mostly found in OXPs then, rather than the basic game.

Anyway, an autodestruct would seem like a logical idea, unless their logic runs far different from ours. What if they view the loss of some individuals as being of no consequence as compared to achieving other objectives?

We also have to consider that the Thargon drone fighters might be an intentional red herring, and the battles we are in may be a misdirection. Maybe they initiate encounters to *get* us to take Thargons.

How many thousands of Thargons have been "captured" and studied? And still we don't have a specific weapon developed to render them inactive while a Thargoid warship is nearby? Apparently they contain some genetic material. If it actually was an immature Thargoid or even a larvae, why would it become inactive as soon at the warships are destroyed? It is a possibility that we are being duped into exposing ourselves to the genetic material that we think "mans" the Thargon robot fighters. Another possibility is that a warship might closely approach a Naval base where many "captured" Thargons are being stored for study and they might suddenly activate again. Trojan horse, anyone?

Since we do not understand how the Warships connect with the Thargon drones in the first place (since if we understood it, we could jam it and render them inert in battle), how do we know they are actually inert and not transmitting intel back?

Ah, a little xenophobia with morning coffee! Always an intriguing breakfast. LOL

But back to the original point of the thread.. There already are OXPs and equipment to help shields. Sure, one could probably make an OXP to give even unlimited shields. Probably even write one where all one's adversaries would line up and present themselves to our gunsights in an orderly fashion like little tin ducks in a shooting gallery. But there would be little point in the game then.

Oolite or Elite, both are/were hard on the new Jameson. I'll readily admit that I got my head handed to me plenty, early on. At first you need to learn to dock and trade, and mostly have to run from fights. As you get better, and get your ship's arse iron-plated, you get better at fighting. Alternatively, you might get even better at avoiding trouble if you prefer to play from a less fighter oriented perspective. But in any case, it's skill, and developed by practice. At first, when you tangle with even one ship, you're likely to end up pressing space. But eventually, five or six opponents is merely an entertaining challenge.

It is the chance that you might lose that makes for some adrenaline when you go into a situation. I would agree with Kaks and others that it is the fights where you prevail even though you were outnumbered that are the greatest delight.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ganelon wrote:
We also have to consider that the Thargon drone fighters might be an intentional red herring, and the battles we are in may be a misdirection. Maybe they initiate encounters to *get* us to take Thargons.

How many thousands of Thargons have been "captured" and studied? And still we don't have a specific weapon developed to render them inactive while a Thargoid warship is nearby? Apparently they contain some genetic material. If it actually was an immature Thargoid or even a larvae, why would it become inactive as soon at the warships are destroyed? It is a possibility that we are being duped into exposing ourselves to the genetic material that we think "mans" the Thargon robot fighters. Another possibility is that a warship might closely approach a Naval base where many "captured" Thargons are being stored for study and they might suddenly activate again. Trojan horse, anyone?

Since we do not understand how the Warships connect with the Thargon drones in the first place (since if we understood it, we could jam it and render them inert in battle), how do we know they are actually inert and not transmitting intel back?
Like it!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Anyway, to bring things back onto topic...

Naval Energy Grid - hook it between a Naval Energy Unit and Military Boosted Shields and lo, your recharge rate is improved.

Cost 65,000Cr, tech level 14 and needs the above two bits of kit.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ganelon wrote:
You're obviously not up to date with the research by the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corporation and their Thargon Jammer Mine... :twisted: