Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

empty cargo container or no "bang" when ramming it

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: empty cargo container or no "bang" when ramming it

Post by Switeck »

This could be a red herring of sorts.
The earliest versions of Thargoid's Docklights OXP caused all kinds of crazy ghost ships and ghost cargo containers.
I'm not saying that particular OXP is to blame, but that other OXPs may trigger bugs that are deep in Oolite itself.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
@ Svengali: I did notice some bugs by some of the pods. Some have the key 'cargo_carried' cargo is defined for scripted pods. But, that does not work for scripted pods. When scooping them, nothing is added to the hold. They need a setCargo() command in the script or a manifest manipulation on scooping. Just be aware that when using setCargo() to actually define the pod as cargo, the pod will stay in the hold and can be ejected and re-scooped, resulting in triggering the scoop handler again.
Thanks Eric, will change it .-)

I'm already in the process to clean up some bloat in my OXPs and it might take some time to catch all the changes under the hood in v1.76.x.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Switeck wrote:
This could be a red herring of sorts.
The earliest versions of Thargoid's Docklights OXP caused all kinds of crazy ghost ships and ghost cargo containers.
I'm not saying that particular OXP is to blame, but that other OXPs may trigger bugs that are deep in Oolite itself.
I would be surprised if it did in this case, given he hasn't got it installed :? It causes weird effects, but even it isn't quite that powerful ;)
csab
Average
Average

Post by csab »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
If it's vanilla bug then surely it should be more widely reported, no?
Not necessarily, if it is super rare. Like maybe all kinds of things have to happen at the same time for the bug to surface. I don't remember experiencing it ever before and I played plenty of hours of Oolite. :)
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

csab wrote:
richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Not necessarily, if it is super rare. Like maybe all kinds of things have to happen at the same time for the bug to surface. I don't remember experiencing it ever before and I played plenty of hours of Oolite. :)
If you use Okti's Long Range Scanner you will find them in about one system in five. Or at least that is what I find. They always are moving quite fast. I managed to get an entity dump of one and posted it, but it seems there was no useful information in it.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Fatleaf wrote:
csab wrote:
richard.a.p.smith wrote:
If you use Okti's Long Range Scanner you will find them in about one system in five. Or at least that is what I find. They always are moving quite fast. I managed to get an entity dump of one and posted it, but it seems there was no useful information in it.
I see the point about lots of things conspiring to create a rare event but I got it very very often when it was happening so I don't think that's it. It's something that's supposed to happen frequently or it's something I do frequently that you don't, csab. The frequency is something like Fatleaf's comment from memory but they are not always moving fast, though. It was certainly not an unusual situation when I saw the problem, just collecting canisters as normal from the traders pirates. Actually, given the situation that it's a rather vague bug I should specify that I don't play as a pirate, ever, there's enough trouble there without annoying every single ship and the police, so if there is anything differentiating "clean" ships from "offender" or "fugitive" then it's worth noting. Being a very squeaky clean pilot I even go back to the last save if I accidentally shoot someone - yes, that's cheating but so is re-loading a saved commander when those five Thargoids kill you! Rich
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Fatleaf wrote:
While doing some testing to find any running themes to this issue I found that on every empty cargo pod it was flashing red with the Long Range Scanner (LRS). The list in the oxp was showing a bounty of 1 credit. Yet on other pods that was being showed as having 1 credit bounty didn't flash as offenders using the LRS. Yet with all of them the Scanner Targeting Enhancement and also bounty scanner just displayed them all as normal cargo pods without an offender rating.

So the question I have is: Could it be something to do with being assigned some form of hidden bounty or the like?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Vector.oxp uses cargo pods with red flasers on them. Could you target them, and than obain an entity dump by pressing shift-H?
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Eric Walch wrote:
Vector.oxp uses cargo pods with red flasers on them. Could you target them, and than obain an entity dump by pressing shift-H?
I would if I had Vectors oxp installed. Is there any passing commander who can accommodate? Next time I cruise the lanes I will look out for one and get a dump.