HUD scripting example

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Nice one, KW, they look really good, especially the 'damage' HUD.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The scripting can be optimised somewhat by using a switch based on the alert condition (as condition 0 is docked). If I get a little time tomorrow I'll throw a quick demo script together for you.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Killer Wolf wrote:
just to officially announce, you guys fkn RULE!!

ah, that's my new ship kitted out, let's launch and have some fun
Looks great! :) Didn't realise you had made some new HUDs!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

stunning new HUDs!!!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ah, thanks guys :-)
the weedy pics don't really show them off (specially the knackered HUD), i feel. the thinking behind them was that in-flight would use a normal HUD w/ all the info, but in cobat you'd get a combat-specific HUD shouwing only stuff you really need to know, and an enlarged scanner to help fight enemies. there might be a little tweaking going on, maybe try and make some of the bars a little more transparent etc.
dithering over whether to release the OXP now or wait until the next release when more people are likely to have the build that can utilise the new code.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
ah, thanks guys :-)
the weedy pics don't really show them off (specially the knackered HUD), i feel. the thinking behind them was that in-flight would use a normal HUD w/ all the info, but in cobat you'd get a combat-specific HUD shouwing only stuff you really need to know, and an enlarged scanner to help fight enemies. there might be a little tweaking going on, maybe try and make some of the bars a little more transparent etc.
dithering over whether to release the OXP now or wait until the next release when more people are likely to have the build that can utilise the new code.
Release it! If nothing else it will encourage early adoption of the new version!!!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wow.. :shock: seriously impressed, I am.. nicely done, KW!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Woah! That's some seriously good stuff there. This has got the potential to really enhance the gameplay, I think. A major step forward in immersion as well as offering new tactical options. This is great! 8)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

lovely stuff KW, looks fab! i agree, might be worth releasing a version of it for the oolite trunksters to have an early peek at.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Disembodied wrote:
... seriously good stuff there. This has got the potential to really enhance the gameplay, I think. A major step forward in immersion as well as offering new tactical options. ...
This!

I say, release it! Great idea!

And even contains a believeable solution for "broken HUDs" (if you treat cockpits as equipment, something I cobbled together for my personal use - for now).

All thumbs up from here!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

KW, I can only repeat what the others have said: great stuff! :)

It'd be a real blast if you released it now, but if you don't, at least we have these excellent pictures to look at! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cool, i'll try and get it up for the weekend (!). Thargoid gave me an updated script but i didn't get a chance totry it last night so i'll be off soon to give it a whirl. Naffing Oolwiki looks to be down again tho >:-(
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Wow, this is the kind of thing I was trying to do with the medusa hud (in an everything in the one window kind of way), out of interest how many different states could you hang a hud off? I'm thinking a scooping hud if cargo is selected (basically a massive resizing of the scanner for locating cargo) and is there a problem when it comes to auto switching if you have too many (ie can you override one if another perametre is met, an AND OR statement?)

With this coding hanging off the back end this could seriously revolutionise future artistic hud design.

A weapons strength drag and drop version would be heartily applauded.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

ClymAngus wrote:
out of interest how many different states could you hang a hud off? I'm thinking a scooping hud if cargo is selected (basically a massive resizing of the scanner for locating cargo) and is there a problem when it comes to auto switching if you have too many (ie can you override one if another perametre is met, an AND OR statement?)
Any JS handler can be used as a trigger for changing HUDs. It's all up to you, really. The target-cargo-switch-to-scoopHUD scenario is entirely plausible in trunk. You can also use any conditional expression to decide which exact HUD you would like to autoswitch to and you can even pick one at random from a pool of HUDs if you feel like it.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
The target-cargo-switch-to-scoopHUD scenario is entirely plausible in trunk.
yes, following is tested to work:

Code: Select all

this.shipTargetAcquired = function (target)
{
    if (target.isCargo) log(this.name, "Targeted: "+target);
}
Instead of logging you than must do your actions.