Oolite Community Suggestions for Beginner OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's no reason not to recommend vanilla Oolite: that's a perfectly legitimate option and could be one of the recommendations, along with your justification.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I agree, it makes most sense to play bare oolite, and decide what you would like to change, rather than change it first.

There are a few ships that I think are "safe" to add initially, like rusties as they are very much in the style of oolite and dont change too much, and are unlikely to be too contentious, but even then, I would err on the side of simplicity to start with.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cmdr James wrote:
Killer Wolf, I think you missed Commander McLane's point. He isnt actually arguing about the OXP choices as such, he is questioning the concept of agreeing on OXP choices.

His point is the same as yours, it depends how you view oolite, and therefore an agreed list of OXPs is hard to do. He is not arguing against Planetfall per se, he is rather using it as an example of an OXP which is either a necessary extention, or is game breaking depending on perspective.
no, i got that, i'm just saying (probably needlessly) that it depends on how we look at things. i think the issue's got clouded over the years. mention laser coolers, and everyone's up in arms about it not being in Elite ~ yet they were available in FFE. Mention planetary landings and a lot of people think it's great ~ yet it wasn't part of Elite. i think i'm veering off into the "canonical" debate here, so i'll shut up rather than derail the thread, but my point was that some OXP ideas (coolers) are dismissed out of hand and other (planetary landings etc) are welcomed.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Planetary landing would not be welcomed in oolite core (I think), but in an OXP they are open to implementation. The same for laser coolers -- find a way to do it in an OXP and I guess the devs will not object.

Personally I dislike the planetary landings, but thats fine, I just do not install them.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

(Cmd. Cheyd still thinks his solution is a valid one. And once again points to his signature.)

There's your starter OXP recommendation. :P
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I feel the beginning Harmless commander should install all the station sets, the Neolite ship set, the Dream Team ship set, and Griff's ships for eyecandy and a varied Ooniverse. These aren't too much to handle while you work on putting some iron on your ass, experience in your head, and lots of creds in your wallet.

The powerful ships should be avoided till then, as well as missile oxps; NPCs can carry the same missiles you can, and a pirate in a Dragon packing extreme ordinance can really wreck a Jameson's day along with his barely kitted Cobby. Install the brawler ships and heavy weapons only when you're ready to deal with them.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
(Cmd. Cheyd still thinks his solution is a valid one. And once again points to his signature.)
(He is entitled to do so. May I have the Gorilla, please?) :wink: