I want to move the player ship via .js - SOLVED

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Kaks wrote:
Frame: different styles, different ideas of what looks cleaner or not, I suppose.

Still, you only need to check for EQ_LES_DOCKING_SHUTTLE at the beginning.
I would find the code easier to read if the second group of ifs was changed from

Code: Select all

if(player.ship.target && ok) //no target no game.,.
   {      
       this.targetStation = player.ship.target       
       if(player.ship.hasEquipment("EQ_LES_DOCKING_SHUTTLE"))
       {          

this.targetStation.dockPlayer()
           return
       }              
    } 
to

if(player.ship.target && ok) //no target no game.,.
   {       
       if(player.ship.target.isStation)
       {          
          this.targetStation = player.ship.target  
          this.targetStationt.dockPlayer()
           return
       }              
    } 
Actually, to be honest I'd really prefer it if it was like this:

if (ok && player.ship.target && player.ship.target.isStation)
     {          
          player.ship.target.dockPlayer();
           return;
    } 
Assuming that we don't need targetStation anywhere else, I do find the third version easier to read - for myself - but, as I said, it's mostly a matter of different personal styles! :)
Only we cannot request docking clearance for non station entities ;-), so any check for isStation is redundant as the scriptevent never occurs when the target is not a station entity..

The target checking is purely there to assure we got a target, checking of that it is a station or carrier was allready performed somewhere in the hard code.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: ...

Post by Disembodied »

Lestradae wrote:
I have no problem with a fugitive crimelord player being hunted through the whole Ooniverse by any head hunter, GalCop and naval vessel in existence - actually, becoming a crimelord by buying certain stations does that to you. Your fugitive rating will go through the roof and basically you have no chance in hell to have it go down again until you sell the yakuza station or buy another one with a really good lawyer team :twisted:

Because of these options in OSE, any solution that denied a player carrier docking would have to have a really viable alternative. It doesn't need to be pretty (it actually shouldn't) but to for example restrict the player then to only anarchies or even feudal systems seems a bit overly harsh to me.

So any viable alternative would need some sort of fugitives underbelly of the Ooniverse, free ports for pirates, well-hidden, and something akin to Frame's save anywhere that really worked with the future 1.73 Oolite imho.

Hope that makes sense?

L
I agree that the game would be improved if making a career of piracy became a truly viable alternative – but I don't see anything wrong with making it a difficult decision. Basically, pirate players' money-making opportunities are greatly increased, because they don't need to buy low and sell high: they just steal anything they want, and it's all profit. The downside would be that, for the dedicated pirate, there are few safe havens. I think having a scattering of free ports throughout the galaxy around most Anarchy, many Multi-Government and several Feudal worlds, where stolen goods can be traded advantageously, combined with a small number (8 per galaxy?) of actual renegade systems, where the main station itself is pirate-run and where Fugitive players can safely dock and save, would be a good compromise. OK, life is difficult: but it should be. Being a Fugitive shouldn't be an easy option.

Trading prices in the free ports (i.e. small, secret bases in the low-end systems) should be the inverse of the main system prices. The economy in pirate-owned systems, though, would be based on the planet's economy, as the citizens have no choice but to trade their goods through the station. Prices for things like firearms though should be high, and slaves low.

In the pirate systems there should be almost no Clean ships at all: the whole legal setup should be inverted. A Fugitive player, with a sufficiently high criminal and Elite rating, should go pretty much unmolested by other pirates there (as long as he doesn't start shooting up the neighbourhood). There could be occasional police and navy sorties made in those systems, though, and all the local criminal fraternity should band together to help fight them off.

I don't know if this is possible to do, but it would be interesting. These systems would be no-go areas for honest traders, and pure hunting grounds for bounty hunters, who'd jump in, shoot up the locals and jump out again, because hey sure as hell wouldn't be welcome in the main station!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: ...

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
I have no problem with a fugitive crimelord player being hunted through the whole Ooniverse by any head hunter, GalCop and naval vessel in existence - actually, becoming a crimelord by buying certain stations does that to you. Your fugitive rating will go through the roof and basically you have no chance in hell to have it go down again until you sell the yakuza station or buy another one with a really good lawyer team :twisted:

Because of these options in OSE, any solution that denied a player carrier docking would have to have a really viable alternative. It doesn't need to be pretty (it actually shouldn't) but to for example restrict the player then to only anarchies or even feudal systems seems a bit overly harsh to me.

So any viable alternative would need some sort of fugitives underbelly of the Ooniverse, free ports for pirates, well-hidden, and something akin to Frame's save anywhere that really worked with the future 1.73 Oolite imho.

Hope that makes sense?

L
I agree that the game would be improved if making a career of piracy became a truly viable alternative – but I don't see anything wrong with making it a difficult decision. Basically, pirate players' money-making opportunities are greatly increased, because they don't need to buy low and sell high: they just steal anything they want, and it's all profit. The downside would be that, for the dedicated pirate, there are few safe havens. I think having a scattering of free ports throughout the galaxy around most Anarchy, many Multi-Government and several Feudal worlds, where stolen goods can be traded advantageously, combined with a small number (8 per galaxy?) of actual renegade systems, where the main station itself is pirate-run and where Fugitive players can safely dock and save, would be a good compromise. OK, life is difficult: but it should be. Being a Fugitive shouldn't be an easy option.

Trading prices in the free ports (i.e. small, secret bases in the low-end systems) should be the inverse of the main system prices. The economy in pirate-owned systems, though, would be based on the planet's economy, as the citizens have no choice but to trade their goods through the station. Prices for things like firearms though should be high, and slaves low.

In the pirate systems there should be almost no Clean ships at all: the whole legal setup should be inverted. A Fugitive player, with a sufficiently high criminal and Elite rating, should go pretty much unmolested by other pirates there (as long as he doesn't start shooting up the neighbourhood). There could be occasional police and navy sorties made in those systems, though, and all the local criminal fraternity should band together to help fight them off.

I don't know if this is possible to do, but it would be interesting. These systems would be no-go areas for honest traders, and pure hunting grounds for bounty hunters, who'd jump in, shoot up the locals and jump out again, because hey sure as hell wouldn't be welcome in the main station!
Well thought out - I like it a lot! Is it possible though...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Frame wrote:
Only we cannot request docking clearance for non station entities ;-), so any check for isStation is redundant as the scriptevent never occurs when the target is not a station entity..
See, there's always scope for improvement! :D

And I do agree very much with Disembodied's scenario. It also feels a lot more realistic, to have really big criminals having to carefully plan their movements outside their 'kingdoms' in out of the way backwaters.

Known criminals with huge bounties on their head parking their supercargo next to the police headquarters in a highly centralised police state, just to go to the hotel next door for a sleep? They'd be arrested - or, much more likely, shot for the bounty - before they had a chance to even blink.

Speaking as a player, refusing docking privileges is much better than outright game over, IMHO! ;)

And DH, it's definitely possible! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Very much in agreement with Disembodied's suggestions over here too, now that would definitely add some flair.

Still, my skills are not up to the task. If someone realised this (perhaps as a team effort - I'd sure contribute my 0.2 Cr brainstorming ideaswise) I would be very pleased to be able to integrate this into OSE and then the docking blockade for fugitive supercriminals could be erected.
Known criminals with huge bounties on their head parking their supercargo next to the police headquarters in a highly centralised police state, just to go to the hotel next door for a sleep? They'd be arrested - or, much more likely, shot for the bounty - before they had a chance to even blink.
I have had RL contacts with people very high up in law inforcement (and by this I mean not only the excutive) who were dealing with organised crime, and I am very sorry to say that the real crimelords do, even with "huge bounties on their head", park their ferrari next to the police headquarters, and go to the hotel next door for a sleep.

Everyone knows it, and no one can do anything about it. It's supposed to be politics.

Politics that would, in a near-anarchy as the galactic cooperative of worlds, be even more pronounced than in 2009 earth's western countries.