Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Naval energy unit

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

radcapricorn wrote:
(Prepares to listen about complexity and learning curve)

Vim? :wink:
Vim??? in the not-linux board? I don't mind Vim, (not that I know much except very basic stuff) but I didn't think it was available for Win-PC's...

Besides, if you want to talk complexity and learning curves, try Emacs... that'll tie your brain in a knot of truly Gordian proportions!
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

Diziet Sma wrote:
radcapricorn wrote:

Vim??? in the not-linux board? I don't mind Vim, (not that I know much except very basic stuff) but I didn't think it was available for Win-PC's...
But of course it is.
Diziet Sma wrote:
Besides, if you want to talk complexity and learning curves, try Emacs... that'll tie your brain in a knot of truly Gordian proportions!
Don't know, never really tried it.
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

radcapricorn wrote:

I gave it a go, It was a little odd having some mouse use but having to scroll up and down with page up and down. I also forget the last time I had to switch between insert and overwrite... Entering commands at the bottom of the doc is "weird" but it seems so far I can do the "basics". :edit, :save :saveas, thats about all I need :D

I dont think its any worse than many a dodgy old dos "word processor". However Im not sure its the "right" tool for the job I want to do, Im sure the more advanced functions make it very worthwhile for many users, but for plists, and scripts Im sure something a little more straightforward and less featured would do the job. Just something like notepad but uses either the same carriage return character or character set as the other files (whichever is causing the issue) will do :D.

I chose to give up using my brain when I chose to use windows :lol:

Oh and whilst talking about "odd" editors, anyone ever use Pipedream? it was a word processor and spreadsheet in one, no not an office package the same document could be both spreadsheet and word processor document... Some absolutely amazing features, user friendliness wasnt one of them, but I loved it back in the day. I could import bbcbasic programs, use the spread sheet to work out maths in the middle of the program listing, edit the program put it all back together then reimport the result back to bbcbasic. For those days that was some REALLY usefull abilities :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Davidtq wrote:
However Im not sure its the "right" tool for the job I want to do, Im sure the more advanced functions make it very worthwhile for many users, but for plists, and scripts Im sure something a little more straightforward and less featured would do the job. Just something like notepad but uses either the same carriage return character or character set as the other files (whichever is causing the issue) will do :D.
Then I'd suggest Notepad+, Notepad++, or TextPad. I like TextPad because I can choose between PC, Unix or Mac style line-endings when I save. The other two may do likewise, but I haven't used them, and so couldn't say.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Scite (free) seems pretty good when forced to use Windoze. My save files survived its use. Will also do syntax checking/highlighting for a number of languages and this facility can be easily extended.