Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Favourite ship

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Merlins yes, I downloaded the oxp played a little had to fight one then removed it.

I had to dump a missile on it from 0 range to kill the little effer, after it had chewed my ass into tin foil. It gets beyond 4 km and it's practically invisible, it turns like a helecopter and man can those suckers move. A ship like that running around does my blood pressure no good at all.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ClymAngus wrote:
I had to dump a missile on it from 0 range to kill the little effer, after it had chewed my ass into tin foil. It gets beyond 4 km and it's practically invisible, it turns like a helecopter and man can those suckers move. A ship like that running around does my blood pressure no good at all.
Solutions:
1) If you're agile and fast enough, move up into their exhaust. Then it's easy to shoot em down, subentity by subentity.
2) If you're flying something like a BCC, just run them over.

If the HUD appears broken, use the Kestrel's image for it, then it works.

Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ovvldc wrote:
I challenge you to come up with something that looks better and can fulfill as many roles.

Best wishes,
Oscar
I'm working on it. I'm not trying to beat Griff in modelling/shading; in that department Griff is a god. But yes, I am trying to surpass the old Cobra 3 in multirole capability, oddly enough by using the Cobby as a reference.

I'm in the fine tune & bake to perfection stage, and I'm pretty close to being satisfied that all goals are met and all bugs are squashed.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Re: All ships have self aiming lasers, to a point

Post by KZ9999 »

Screet wrote:
KZ9999 wrote:
If the beams are fixed to travel parallel to the Krait's z-axis.
Wrong. Exactly that does happen. Suit yourself in a Merlin and find out! Multi-Laser ships will not be able to hit you anymore.
KZ9999 wrote:
As for the original thread, I currently consider the Wolf mk II pretty choice.
...which has multiple lasers and thus cannot hit a Merlin, too ;)

I'll take your word for it as I haven't actually flow a ship like the Merlin yet.

This raises an interesting question of realism about the game. The ability to slip between multi-laser bolts be an advantage. Making ship as the Merlin in to an interceptor class craft. Ships that have multiple laser in the same firing arc be classed as heavy fighters, designed to attack capital ships. Such ships are outclassed by interceptors in a dog-fight but should heavy fighter make a couple hits, it's all over for interceptor.
Screet wrote:
Luckily, player ships always only have single lasers, thus if you fly a Wolf, you'll be able to hit a Merlin!
I guess, this is a case of where realism is being rejected for game play. It would making an interesting option to be chose turning on multi-lasers for player craft. Higher damage and heat ratios, multiplying the cost of buying weapons upgrades, and a total change of combat style. If we follow this logic further, another upgrade would the adding of automatic beam cross-over so the beam targets the centre point as mention in my previous post. This change in weapons dynamics would ceritanly change the effectiveness of the various ships in different roles.

It's food for though.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: All ships have self aiming lasers, to a point

Post by Commander McLane »

KZ9999 wrote:
Take the example of the Krait, which mounts twin lasers at the 'wing tips' (quoting the E:FFE2 manual.)
No, it doesn't. None of the original ships has twin lasers.

Please don't confuse Elite/Oolite with games of the Frontier franchise.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

I've not been playing oolite for the last 2 nights due to trying to get Griff's Cobra to run properly-Big thanks to griff for his help & patience- above & beyond the call of duty - thanks :clappysmileyneeded:

So decided to see if I could hack a ship oxp together for a player version of the Rattle Cutter- A fave of mine since I downloaded Murghs great 'Military Fiasco' oxp.

Well, I managed to get it working tonight- surprised myself too :lol:
Very disappointed with the Rattler though. Not sure if all 4 lasers were actually working on mine as the external views didn't work. But it didn't seem 4 times more powerfull than a standard mil laser!!!

Looks like I'll be going back to my Connie :wink:

If anyone wants to try it or check over the code-incase only one laser was working...
please feel free to pm me.

Apologies to Murgh for raping your 'Mil Fiasco' oxp :shock:
Tivva
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Tivva, multiple lasers for player ships don't work (yet) - and I think the devs have not decided if they'd put that feature in. The possibility to have four times the firepower is something that does things with the game balance.

Perhaps if the quadruple laser would also get overheated four times as fast as a single one?

What about replacing three of the quadruple lasers with turrets? That's still close, then you would have a front gun and three front turrets. And player turrets are already implemented :D

Cheers

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And if you want external views, quickest way is to find a ship of similar size that already has them, and then just copy/paste the shipdata.plist key from that ships entry into the one for your rattlecutter.

And I'd say multi-lasers, unless they have something to keep them under control like overheating, will completely kill the game balance with uber-uberships :roll:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
... multi-lasers, unless they have something to keep them under control like overheating
I'd vote for implementing multiple lasers with multiple overheating speed.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Or even scaled overheat speed: 4 lasers overheat more than 4 times as fast as one laser, and 5 overheats even faster than 5 times normal. So you could have a ship with 10 front lasers that could inflict huge amounts of damage against one target for about a second or two...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I can also imagine that having 4 lasers brings the disadvantage with it that the commander must install huge coolers. Which should be very very expensive and leaving almost no room for cargo. In that situation a ship like a Rattle cutter is in fact one big flying canon. The power also can be balanced if you have to maintain the laser circuitry on a regular basis. 600 credits per laser per maintenance overhaul at least.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

What about ships that actually are one huge cannon? I suggested this before as a "sniper python".... No cargo/speed, just one nasty forward laser...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

A ship that can't manuver will have a difficult time bringing its one supergun to bear upon a target.

I'd be more worried about an Anaconda with multiple rows of turret emplacements port, starboard, fore and aft. A pirate knows at least one of the turrets will be pointed at them.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Autoturrets are short ranged, and not too much of a threat as long as you stay out of their reach and icepick the ship they're mounted on with a mil laser.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Post by JameSpal »

My favorite ship is the Python Class Cruiser. Simple, classic looks. Good cargo/speed/maneuverability ratio.

I had one for a while, then started over with a new commander and I so used to docking sideways with the PCC that I flubbed my first few dockings in the Cobby.

As for the multiple lasers, bigger lasers thing, I'd like to see a cooling system "hack". Like you can take your ship to a shady ship yard somewhere and for some ridiculously huge fee, and at the cost of some cargo space, they will hack your laser cooling system into your cabin climate control system.

So with the hack, when you get your lasers too hot, they will continue to function at - or close to - full power and rapidity, but at the cost of cabin temp. If you keep at it for too long, your cabin will overheat and the next thing you know it's "Press Space" Commander.

I can imagine getting into a situation where you are getting cut up by a band of pirates, you have one in your sights, but your cabin temp meter is flashing in your face. One of the baddies is venting plasma, but one more shot might kill you.

Classic Elite drama, just updated and tweaked a bit.

In Oolite - just by the nature of modern computers - you have the opportunity to face down many more enemies at the same time than you did in classic Elite. It would be nice to have a little more ability to fight a few more before getting into the turning competition with them waiting for your lasers to cool down.